General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.M.P

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys! This is for anyone at bpp - do you think there is a chance that our exams may be cancelled (in lieu of a take home exam or coursework modules etc) or postponed ? I’m a bit anxious as everything seems up in the air and I have a spring vac scheme that I’m also worried will be postponed! I just don’t want the dates to collide!

WMA

Feb 17, 2020
Hey guys! This is for anyone at bpp - do you think there is a chance that our exams may be cancelled (in lieu of a take home exam or coursework modules etc) or postponed ? I’m a bit anxious as everything seems up in the air and I have a spring vac scheme that I’m also worried will be postponed! I just don’t want the dates to collide!
Hey, I'm from BPP and I got an update on my VLE yesterday saying exams are going ahead as normal, check the assessments page on the VLE, that's where I found mine :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: MVE49, lexiak and L.M.P

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

depends when your exams are. Next four weeks more likely, after Easter holidays, as it stands not.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Rejection post-AC for King & Spalding... I am quite gutted, but 1) I still have a VS lined up for the spring with another law firm, 2) I think it was actually a great experience, 3) there were so many great candidates that day that if I had to make a shortlist, I would find it very tricky too!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I've secured a vacation scheme with a law firm for this summer in the hopes of securing a training contract with them. However, they've just announced on their Facebook page that they've filled all their training contract places?!? I know that they also have ongoing interviews as someone has messaged me asking for some insight into theirs. Anyone know what could possibly be going on?!?!

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
I've secured a vacation scheme with a law firm for this summer in the hopes of securing a training contract with them. However, they've just announced on their Facebook page that they've filled all their training contract places?!? I know that they also have ongoing interviews as someone has messaged me asking for some insight into theirs. Anyone know what could possibly be going on?!?!
Which firm?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

You could contact them for some clarity on the matter?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It could be they are holding places for the summer interns and therefore are not taking any more direct TC apps.

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
I have some serious post-interview anxiety today so I am here to post some tips for anyone in the same boat:

1. Leave your phone/ internet-connected devices in another room (on loud in case you get a call)
2. Keep your mind on other things, reading, studying, the gym, meeting up with friends or family.
3. Get started on another application!
4. Don't sit staring at LinkedIn and freaking out that others have head from that firm and you have not.
5. Remember that life will play out and you have no way of changing it post-interview and you have done all you can!

L197

Jan 31, 2020
My Jones Day interview next week is being changed to a skype interview due to coronavirus worries! Does anyone have any tips on video interviews or things I may need to consider / do differently? This will be my first interview of this kind!
Thanks!

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
My Jones Day interview next week is being changed to a skype interview due to coronavirus worries! Does anyone have any tips on video interviews or things I may need to consider / do differently? This will be my first interview of this kind!
Thanks!

I sent you a DM about JD, but also forgot to say make sure you dress the part. I know it's a video int but no one tells you how much dressing the part can make you feel super confident and put together!

Reactions: L197

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Rejection post-AC for King & Spalding... I am quite gutted, but 1) I still have a VS lined up for the spring with another law firm, 2) I think it was actually a great experience, 3) there were so many great candidates that day that if I had to make a shortlist, I would find it very tricky too!

Sorry to hear Dominika! Glad you've taken the positive out of it but also remember you've done super well to have a vac scheme. Congrats!!!

• 🤝
Reactions: D95

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks!

not really anything different ask such. Prepare for it in the same way you would do as a face to face assessment.

One thing I do suggest however, is sticking key words on post it notes behind your screen to remind you of answers.

this should not be a script (as it will just come across as disingenuous/rehearsed), but instead things like:

Firm motivation: culture, TC structure, PE focus

Team working: law society event, persuaded, attendance up 50%

• 🏆
Reactions: CF, Alice G and L197

L197

Jan 31, 2020
not really anything different ask such. Prepare for it in the same way you would do as a face to face assessment.

One thing I do suggest however, is sticking key words on post it notes behind your screen to remind you of answers.

this should not be a script (as it will just come across as disingenuous/rehearsed), but instead things like:

Firm motivation: culture, TC structure, PE focus

Team working: law society event, persuaded, attendance up 50%

Thank you!

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you!

Some more practical advice on how to set up attached. Some of the points are for pre-recorded questions, but much of it still applies to live video interviews.

Attachments

• 656200B9-A2E6-4C1E-9812-F51890ECB4E7.jpeg
    656200B9-A2E6-4C1E-9812-F51890ECB4E7.jpeg
    610.8 KB · Views: 621
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.