• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith at 6pm today to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

How to answer ‘why do you want to become a solicitor’? I like the processes behind things you see in the everyday world and solving complex issues to minimise them to simple solutions but I don’t think that’s enough. Do I have to link back to the firm? Link back to my work experience? Thanks!
I usually begin with why law, what shaped your motivation/understanding and then.. start with the obvious, why not a barrister? It's good to have some exposure to the bar so if you have any minis under your belt or advocacy you could then compare and contrast and tie in solicitor experiences.

In my opinion there are looking for informed decisions, not the ones you think are right. Therefore, you cannot say with certainty why solicitor if you haven't experienced other professions or gained enough insight
 
Hi, is it worth waiting until after an open day to apply to a firm if they screen on a rolling basis? The OD is just a few days away, deadline is 30 Nov. Thanks
I'd wait until after the OD if the application has written questions. This way you can use the OD to strengthen your motivations for wanting to join the firm and make your application stand out. Also, 30th Nov is several weeks away, so you have a fair bit of time.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Tap-204863
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member