Reapplying after rejection after Interview?

lawgirl101

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 14, 2019
    Hi all!

I had a decent interview last year then I had to do an aptitude test which I failed miserably and was rejected from the firm.

I am reapplying this year and I am just wondering how much I need to change my application? I have new work experience as a paralegal and some new extra-curricular activities that I will be adding of course. However I don't have anything to add/change for the two questions in the application:
    Why are you applying for a training contract here?
    What distinguishes you from the other applicants applying for this position?

Is it a big no if I don't change my answers to these two questions?

Thanks!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi all!

I had a decent interview last year then I had to do an aptitude test which I failed miserably and was rejected from the firm.

I am reapplying this year and I am just wondering how much I need to change my application? I have new work experience as a paralegal and some new extra-curricular activities that I will be adding of course. However I don't have anything to add/change for the two questions in the application:
    Why are you applying for a training contract here?
    What distinguishes you from the other applicants applying for this position?

Is it a big no if I don't change my answers to these two questions?

Thanks!!
    Good question, @Jessica Booker is probably best placed but I had an AC with a firm last year and when I reapplied this year I just changed one of the three questions and added updated work exp. I passed the WG for them and was told I was rejected because of my app. I can honestly only assume it was because it was too similar based on the fact it had been strong enough a year previous. I can’t be 100% certain of course but I looked back and there were no typos in the redrafted question to warrant a rejection on such grounds as that.

I would maybe advise to err on the side of caution with it but this was just one isolated experience and so I’m not necessarily the best person, sure Jessica will offer some better insight :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would expect the latter question to change. You have done a lot more since your last application.

If you have been unsuccessful before, the first question if you see a nearly identical form is “why would the result be any different this time around if pretty much everything is the same”.

Reactions: Alice G

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    On this subject. I got a place on a spring workshop (since cancelled) and the app for the TC is exactly the same. Would they be expecting me to make significant changes given the app is the same and it’s only two months later?

When offering a VI they described my application as “particularly strong” but assume these aren’t personalised and rather sent to everyone who gets through screening?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On this subject. I got a place on a spring workshop (since cancelled) and the app for the TC is exactly the same. Would they be expecting me to make significant changes given the app is the same and it’s only two months later?

When offering a VI they described my application as “particularly strong” but assume these aren’t personalised and rather sent to everyone who gets through screening?

yes - you are applying for two different vacancies, so some things will need to change. You’ll also need to make clear you secure the spring programme.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think that it will be good to make the new personal statement and other application papers. A lot of things have changed during the year and you can provide the admission members with a sort of new information that will show you for the best side especially if you can prove that during this year you've got new knowledge, skills and experience that you are going to use on practice and if you can tell how you have been working and solved the mistakes after the last interview. It's a nice change. But you should de everything yo get the desired position. You can even visit DELETED and proofread your papers to have more guarantees. Do not stop and fight and you will get the desired position. Good Luck!

Two posts in nearly 6 months, and both promoting paid for essay services.... :rolleyes:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.