Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,
I'm filling in an application now & there's space for 6 examples of legal work experience, but you can't delete any of them & you have to write something in the boxes in order to move on to the next page. I only have 2 examples of direct legal work experience - would you recommend putting N/A in the other boxes?
Thanks!

Does it explicitly state legal work experience? This just seems a little odd as majority of candidates won't have 6 legal work experiences.

But yes, N/A is appropriate if that is what it is asking and it won't allow you to move forward.

BGBlaw

Standard Member
Feb 6, 2020
Does it explicitly state legal work experience? This just seems a little odd as majority of candidates won't have 6 legal work experiences.

But yes, N/A is appropriate if that is what it is asking and it won't allow you to move forward.

Yes, that page is titled 'Legal work experience' and then there's another page for 3 examples of 'Non-Legal work experience'. Thank you! Also good to know that everyone else won't have 6 examples of legal work experience haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, that page is titled 'Legal work experience' and then there's another page for 3 examples of 'Non-Legal work experience'. Thank you! Also good to know that everyone else won't have 6 examples of legal work experience haha

Guess people might put things like open days or careers events in there. Many firms have multiple sections, but it is just odd for it to be set up as compulsory to complete (that might just be a shoddy ATS though).

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the GDL cohorts are structured? I have a TC offer with a magic circle firm and was wondering if we will be grouped like the accelerated BPP consortium or will we be with people from others firms with and without TCs. Can't seem to find any information on this online.

Specifically interested about the GDL at BPP and not other law schools**

Last edited:
Reactions: Charles

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    In no different way than they should have been if the vacation schemes took place.

Some firms whose vacation scheme recruitment process replicates the TC process may make direct offers. But even then it would only be to candidates they were exceptionally confident would meet the benchmark.

When you assess vacation scheme candidates you ultimately are looking for different things (you can be a bit more open minded/take more risks with VS candidates).

You can’t do that with TCs - the level of investment is far too high to take a punt on someone.

Some firms will just recruit later though - I wouldn’t expect all firms to make VS candidate direct TC offers instead. For those firms that do choose this route, it will only be a proportion of training contracts they offer anyway.

Hi Jessica, thank you for this - it is very useful!

For a Firm like Freshfields, where the Vac Scheme is only open to second years - do you think this will impact if they make offers? And with the cohort being both law and non-law (who would have different TC starting dates) - do you think they will only offer TCs to Law Students as they will be starting earlier?

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    In a question like this 'What distinguishes you from the other applicants applying for this position?' do you concentrate on one piece of experience you have ie paralegal in a city firm and try match it to the competencies or a number of different things about yourself?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    In a question like this 'What distinguishes you from the other applicants applying for this position?' do you concentrate on one piece of experience you have ie paralegal in a city firm and try match it to the competencies or a number of different things about yourself?
    Best to go into a deeper analysis on fewer things I would say to ensure you are really explaining well and evidencing why these competencies or experiences are relevant to law and the firm specifically. Remember to be truly personal and develop your writing so it is really catered to not just the firm but why you. So don't speak in the abstract about a role you have held or work you have done, really try to tease out why it matters and why you are writing about it to help explain why you are different and well suited to the job.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018

Are you applying to H&L?

@Alice G so would you focus on quality rather than quantity? Would you mention skills acquired as a paralegal?
    @Jessica Booker what do you think?]

I have just finished to amend my answer to this question :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Are you applying to H&L?

@Alice G so would you focus on quality rather than quantity? Would you mention skills acquired as a paralegal?

I personally would do, yeah. You are able to put lots of detail in the work experience sections and I think to get the level of detail and analysis required for the application questions it is best to focus on fewer solid examples. Obviously, if you can cleverly conflate examples as evidence in some way then do this and if the analysis can be applied to all of the examples well.

In terms of the skills question, firms may have different styles and approaches but I tended to find that most wanted the 'show not tell approach'. This basically means they want you to give the evidence of skills without necessarily explicitly stating them as grad rec can read between the lines and it helps you with your word count and leaves you room for the analysis and detail I am referring to. I found this was favoured by the firms I was applying to but would not necessarily assume this is an industry-standard thing though so @Jessica Booker may have more insight.

Reactions: S87

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020

I just did this for H&L and I wrote about having worked in media on some of the projects they have advised on on the client side, but then equally having worked in corporate finance and am currently working on an acquisition that would size-wise be what they’d be advising on, skills this has thought me and the different perspective and industry understanding I have from 8 years of working in it. Hope that helps.

Reactions: S87 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I just did this for H&L and I wrote about having worked in media on some of the projects they have advised on on the client side, but then equally having worked in corporate finance and am currently working on an acquisition that would size-wise be what they’d be advising on, skills this has thought me and the different perspective and industry understanding I have from 8 years of working in it. Hope that helps.
    that sounds good and really well-tailored to you :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I personally would do, yeah. You are able to put lots of detail in the work experience sections and I think to get the level of detail and analysis required for the application questions it is best to focus on fewer solid examples. Obviously, if you can cleverly conflate examples as evidence in some way then do this and if the analysis can be applied to all of the examples well.

In terms of the skills question, firms may have different styles and approaches but I tended to find that most wanted the 'show not tell approach'. This basically means they want you to give the evidence of skills without necessarily explicitly stating them as grad rec can read between the lines and it helps you with your word count and leaves you room for the analysis and detail I am referring to. I found this was favoured by the firms I was applying to but would not necessarily assume this is an industry-standard thing though so @Jessica Booker may have more insight.

Thank you, I am going to write my role as a litigation paralegal specifically my tasks and what I have learnt.

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the GDL cohorts are structured? I have a TC offer with a magic circle firm and was wondering if we will be grouped like the accelerated BPP consortium or will we be with people from others firms with and without TCs. Can't seem to find any information on this online.

Specifically interested about the GDL at BPP and not other law schools**

You will probably find most of your cohort are fellow city firm future trainees, but that some modules might be with wider groups or general student cohorts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thank you for this - it is very useful!

For a Firm like Freshfields, where the Vac Scheme is only open to second years - do you think this will impact if they make offers? And with the cohort being both law and non-law (who would have different TC starting dates) - do you think they will only offer TCs to Law Students as they will be starting earlier?

no - I don’t think it will be any different

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are you applying to H&L?

Being a paralegal won’t make you stand out. There will be 100s of other applicants with paralegal experience or similar work experience applying.

someone’s individuality will come through a combinations of experiences, strengths, motivations and learnings. I would expect an answer like this to talk about that combination that makes someone unique.

I wouldn’t necessarily also try and “fit” into competencies the firm is trying to assess - this is about the additional things that bring flavour to your application and make you stand out. Every candidate will be able to fit into the competencies and therefore by default, not stand out.

Reactions: S87 and TLC20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.