First year non-law grades

ArsenalFC123

May 20, 2020
Hey guys,

I wanted to quickly ask a question about the importance of grades in vac scheme applications at MC/SC and US firms. I'm currently a first year non-law student at a RG university, and have averaged a 68 in first year which i'm really happy with.

However I have only achieved 41 in an optional module - this was originally the result of a 20% class test but will now count for 100% of the module grade due to Covid-19 exam cancellations.

Will this prove to be significantly detrimental to my apps next year? For context, I've achieved three firsts and three 2.1s in my other modules.

Thanks so much for your help :)

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
The 41% would normally raise a red flag - given the exceptional circumstances you describe though, I doubt you will be judged harshly by firms. Do make sure to explain what happened in the spaces given for ext circs/additional information.

Otherwise, your grades are fine! :) For non-law, firms are looking for consistently good marks. This is evidenced by the 1sts and 2:1s in your other papers, as well as the 68% overall.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s probably too late, but if you had the option to, you probably should have taken the exam to get your grade up.

One grade won’t be an issue though... you’ll need to make sure all future assessments are consistent though.

ArsenalFC123

May 20, 2020
The 41% would normally raise a red flag - given the exceptional circumstances you describe though, I doubt you will be judged harshly by firms. Do make sure to explain what happened in the spaces given for ext circs/additional information.

Otherwise, your grades are fine! :) For non-law, firms are looking for consistently good marks. This is evidenced by the 1sts and 2:1s in your other papers, as well as the 68% overall.

Thank you very much for the reassurance! Has made me feel a little more at ease :) Unfortunately, I also had a family emergency the week prior to the test so will include that in the ext circs section and hope for the best.

It’s probably too late, but if you had the option to, you probably should have taken the exam to get your grade up.

One grade won’t be an issue though... you’ll need to make sure all future assessments are consistent though.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately we were not given the option to sit any of our final exams meaning that was the only assessment I could have done for the module. I completely agree though, and definitely would have taken the exam to get that mark up - will make sure I'm hitting at least solid 2.1s for any future assessments I have.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you very much for the reassurance! Has made me feel a little more at ease :) Unfortunately, I also had a family emergency the week prior to the test so will include that in the ext circs section and hope for the best.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately we were not given the option to sit any of our final exams meaning that was the only assessment I could have done for the module. I completely agree though, and definitely would have taken the exam to get that mark up - will make sure I'm hitting at least solid 2.1s for any future assessments I have.

you need to make that clear - most students have been given the opportunity to sit some form of assessment to get their grades up. An academic reference is requested anyway, so would verify that you didn’t sit any assessments.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I agree with all that’s been said. Have any proof and evidence you might need for mitigating circumstances and then just make everything absolutely crystal clear in the apps. There’s always space to give this context and things too and you could maybe request for your academic reference to also reiterate this as a sort of verification in the process :)

sounds like you’re doing well at uni though and congratulations on your grades, keep up the great work and all the best with the apps

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.