LPC or SQE?

Carly

Jun 12, 2020
Hi everyone, I’m new on here!

I have been figuring out who to talk to regarding this. I have been googled my way and it lead me to here...

So I graduated my law degree in 2018 and have had two years just working - a paralegal role.

I am now at the decision of whether to go back to uni in September and do the LPC or wait until 2021 and start the SQE.

I am really unsure what route to take as to be honest I don’t really know what the pros and cons are of each. I have friends who have done the LPC however I feel like I need other advice.

Some advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
LPC:
- Expensive
- once you have a training contract, you are practically guaranteed qualification
- bottle neck of opportunity is just getting the job in the first place
- fixed time commitment - the earliest you could qualify is 24 months after completing the LPC
- have to stick with one employer throughout your time

SQE:
- can train at more than one firm
- cheaper (supposedly)
- could take a shorter amount of time to qualify, especially if you utilise previous legal work experience
- lower pass rates of SQE assessments, so no guarantee of qualification

• ℹ️
Reactions: W and amb98

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
LPC:
- Expensive
- once you have a training contract, you are practically guaranteed qualification
- bottle neck of opportunity is just getting the job in the first place
- fixed time commitment - the earliest you could qualify is 24 months after completing the LPC
- have to stick with one employer throughout your time

SQE:
- can train at more than one firm
- cheaper (supposedly)
- could take a shorter amount of time to qualify, especially if you utilise previous legal work experience
- lower pass rates of SQE assessments, so no guarantee of qualification

Thanks Jessica, extremely useful!

Would you not say for SQE that there would be a bottleneck on qualification since qualifying is effectively easier than the current route, so we’d expect more to qualify under SQE route?

Ratish S

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
@Jessica Booker Are you able to comment on the likelihood of a 2023/4 TC (at a City law firm) operating similar to the current format (i.e. pass SQE 1 and 2, then 2 years of QWE) or more like accountancy (i.e. pass SQE 1, then two years of QWE alongside studying for SQE 2)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Are you able to comment on the likelihood of a 2023/4 TC (at a City law firm) operating similar to the current format (i.e. pass SQE 1 and 2, then 2 years of QWE) or more like accountancy (i.e. pass SQE 1, then two years of QWE alongside studying for SQE 2)?

Id expect most firms to have moved to the SQE by that point most non-law graduates will only be able to take that route by then. Some firms might run both systems at the same time for a couple of years, but that isn’t straight forward and many firms want to avoid it where the graduates will have very different rights/training etc.

Firms are all taking different approaches though.

1) start work, pass SQE 1 within probationary period, complete 2 years of QWE, pass SQE2 within the 2 year period

2) pass SQE 1, start work, pass SQE2 within two years

3) Pass SQE 1 and 2, start work and acquire 2 years QWE and then qualify.

I don’t think there will be one model of the above that will be a majority.

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi

I am doing the LPC in September 2020 with ULaw, I think its a better option even though its expensive, simply because there is more certainty. For example, you have access to past-papers and can learn from experiences of past-students.
    Agree on the certainty point - I didn't fancy being a guinea pig in this transition to be honest

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if there is a general preference amongst law firms to select candidates who have not yet completed the LPC? Particularly, if they would prefer their future trainee intake to have completed the LPC together?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if there is a general preference amongst law firms to select candidates who have not yet completed the LPC? Particularly, if they would prefer their future trainee intake to have completed the LPC together?

no - that’s not an issue. Their only question/concern will be what you will do with your time out if you could start a TC immediately and you have to wait 2-3 years for a TC with them. For the next couple of cycles, that maybe even more so the case for firms who will move the the SQE format, they could be questioning why you don’t find a firm who is happy to take you on a traditional training contract format.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    no - that’s not an issue. Their only question/concern will be what you will do with your time out if you could start a TC immediately and you have to wait 2-3 years for a TC with them. For the next couple of cycles, that maybe even more so the case for firms who will move the the SQE format, they could be questioning why you don’t find a firm who is happy to take you on a traditional training contract format.

The person who wrote the article has written back to me and amended it. It seems the last GDL intakes will be September 2020 or January/February 2021 - however, if you have secured a TC before by August 2021 you may be able to still do the GDL where your training was committed to before the deadline. However, I am not sure how practical this is and that ultimately if you did the GDL in September 2021 it might just be as a "prep course" for the SQE. To me this is bizarre and just muddies the water even more though.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting developments yesterday with the SQE...

You will now be able to do the GDL anytime up to 31 December 2021, as long as you accept a place by 31st August 2021 and you start the course on or before the 31st December 2021...

This basically means firms can now put non-law grads going through the recruitment process in the next cycle through the GDL/LPC/TC model after all - which completely changes the dynamic of recruitment for this cycle....

Also costs for sitting the SQE were announced.. SQE 1 is £1,558 and SQE 2 is £2,422. That obviously doesn't account for the costs of any prep courses though...

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JohanGRK, Nat000 and Jaysen

flyingavocado

Dec 22, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thanks for all the useful information up there!

I am wondering if you know whether the qualifying work experience must be within England and Wales? I have solid 3 full years of trainee/associate level legal work experience at the overseas office of a few international law firms. My firms also have solicitors qualified in England and Wales who can sign off. Do you know if these could count towards QWE?

According to the SRA website the scope is broad, i.e. 'any experience...' so I would interpret it favourably, but it would be helpful to hear your opinion. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thanks for all the useful information up there!

I am wondering if you know whether the qualifying work experience must be within England and Wales? I have solid 3 full years of trainee/associate level legal work experience at the overseas office of a few international law firms. My firms also have solicitors qualified in England and Wales who can sign off. Do you know if these could count towards QWE?

According to the SRA website the scope is broad, i.e. 'any experience...' so I would interpret it favourably, but it would be helpful to hear your opinion. Thanks!

It never needed to be in England and Wales (why so many firms offered international secondments for trainees) - so this is not an issue. The QWE can be anywhere as long as it is signed off by an lawyer who is qualified in England and Wales.

The thing you need to consider though is whether this will make you employable. I suspect for outside of the U.K., being Qualified in England and Wales will be a major advantage. However, if you are looking to work in the U.K., my concern is that having a lot of different experiences and not a formal training contract will not be attractive to many firms. There is a risk that you are deemed qualified but under experienced for a NQ role, but over qualified for a trainee role.

flyingavocado

Dec 22, 2019
    It never needed to be in England and Wales (why so many firms offered international secondments for trainees) - so this is not an issue. The QWE can be anywhere as long as it is signed off by an lawyer who is qualified in England and Wales.

The thing you need to consider though is whether this will make you employable. I suspect for outside of the U.K., being Qualified in England and Wales will be a major advantage. However, if you are looking to work in the U.K., my concern is that having a lot of different experiences and not a formal training contract will not be attractive to many firms. There is a risk that you are deemed qualified but under experienced for a NQ role, but over qualified for a trainee role.

Thank you Jessica! Great insight. Perhaps the best way is to go for the traditional TC route and leave SQE as a back-up choice. Thanks for the reply!

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    Hi

I am doing the LPC in September 2020 with ULaw, I think its a better option even though its expensive, simply because there is more certainty. For example, you have access to past-papers and can learn from experiences of past-students.
    True. But novelty of SQE isn't simply as being am alternative to LPC- it means you don't need a TC. If someone takes the LPC then struggles to find a TC- and remember that as time goes on, firms will be offering fewer and fewer Tcs- the only way to qualify will be to do take the SQE path. Only if you have TC offer is LPC the better option.

JohanGRK

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    True. But novelty of SQE isn't simply as being am alternative to LPC- it means you don't need a TC. If someone takes the LPC then struggles to find a TC- and remember that as time goes on, firms will be offering fewer and fewer Tcs- the only way to qualify will be to do take the SQE path. Only if you have TC offer is LPC the better option.
    Genuine question here: If the number of TCs is going down, wouldn't this be because the number of NQ spots is also going down? Or do you think that firms will be more open to recruiting candidates who haven't done their two-year graduate programme? Also, which firms do you think this affects/applies to the most?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    TCs actually haven’t existed for sometime! They are technically called “period of recognised training” and have been for some time. But TC is just the colloquial term used for familiarity.

In my view, “period of recognised training” will still exist and be the most popular method in the two year format, just relabelled as QWE (qualifying work experience).

What is going to be far more interesting in how it affects numbers. I actually see “TC” numbers increasing as fewer people are going to pass the SQE. Like the banks and accountancy firms, more people will be hired and if they fail their professional exams they get kicked off the programme. Firms will plan on the basis of roughly X% failing each year and will plan accordingly.

Its going to be interesting in how it all plays out. Basically all structure has really done out the window, and although firms will minimise that risk by mimicking that structure, they are going to have various pressures on them to work around the structure at times.

JohanGRK

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    TCs actually haven’t existed for sometime! They are technically called “period of recognised training” and have been for some time. But TC is just the colloquial term used for familiarity.

In my view, “period of recognised training” will still exist and be the most popular method in the two year format, just relabelled as QWE (qualifying work experience).

What is going to be far more interesting in how it affects numbers. I actually see “TC” numbers increasing as fewer people are going to pass the SQE. Like the banks and accountancy firms, more people will be hired and if they fail their professional exams they get kicked off the programme. Firms will plan on the basis of roughly X% failing each year and will plan accordingly.

Its going to be interesting in how it all plays out. Basically all structure has really done out the window, and although firms will minimise that risk by mimicking that structure, they are going to have various pressures on them to work around the structure at times.
    Yeah, I was trying to refer to it as a 'graduate programme' because I'm not sure as to what the official title will be.

The reason why I replied to the user is because I think that it's odd to suggest that firms that have been running training programmes for ages will stop doing those in favour of picking up people who have gathered work experience here and there. As you said, the TC bottleneck's just gonna turn into an NQ bottleneck for most firms

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.