Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I can't believe I'm writing this, because at some points, I really didn't think this day would come but I'm so excited to share that I have accepted a training contract with Eversheds Sutherland starting September 2022! As an international student from Toronto, Canada I slowly realised that it was in fact one of my strengths. It's what made me different and what made me stand out. I stopped thinking that I was at a disadvantage, and I was determined to begin my legal career in the UK.

Some key things that I have learned throughout the way:

1. Don't be afraid to ask for help- Securing employment is not easy! Asking for help doesn't mean that you can't do it yourself. I was honestly surprised as to the number of people who were so willing to help me. Whether I reached out to people from my university, or complete strangers on LinkedIn and this forum, there was always at least one person who would take the time to help me out.
    2. Be confident- This is something I've really had to work on throughout this process. I'm guilty of comparing myself to others, downplaying my accomplishments, and just believing that I wasn't good enough for a firm to take me on. However, I changed my mindset and stopped focusing on others. Everyone has a different timeline and that is okay. By focusing on myself I was naturally better able to put my best self forward without worrying about what others were doing.
    3. Never give up- I doubted my abilities and skills to the point where I began to think that maybe this profession isn't for me. Maybe it was too difficult for me to secure something as an international student, and I was debating even moving back to Canada after graduating. But I decided to keep on trying and I'm so happy my mindset changed about that. The rejections I received only made me a better candidate. If you truly believe this is the profession for you, then keep on going. You will get there and everything will be worth it in the end. Becoming a solicitor isn't easy but all good things are worth waiting for.
    I'm so grateful for this forum specifically because everyone has been so supportive and uplifting. Instead of viewing everyone as competition, each individual on this platform has chosen to stay positive and help each other. I would not be where I am today without being a part of this forum. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me to ask for help. I am more than happy to help out in any capacity I can. My fingers are crossed for you guys, and I hope nothing but the best for you all! :) Keep on going!!

Incredible news and a huge well done to you! Clearly a credit to the hard work you've put into this process.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Asmee DC

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I can't believe I'm writing this, because at some points, I really didn't think this day would come but I'm so excited to share that I have accepted a training contract with Eversheds Sutherland starting September 2022! As an international student from Toronto, Canada I slowly realised that it was in fact one of my strengths. It's what made me different and what made me stand out. I stopped thinking that I was at a disadvantage, and I was determined to begin my legal career in the UK.

1. Don't be afraid to ask for help- Securing employment is not easy! Asking for help doesn't mean that you can't do it yourself. I was honestly surprised as to the number of people who were so willing to help me. Whether I reached out to people from my university, or complete strangers on LinkedIn and this forum, there was always at least one person who would take the time to help me out.
    2. Be confident- This is something I've really had to work on throughout this process. I'm guilty of comparing myself to others, downplaying my accomplishments, and just believing that I wasn't good enough for a firm to take me on. However, I changed my mindset and stopped focusing on others. Everyone has a different timeline and that is okay. By focusing on myself I was naturally better able to put my best self forward without worrying about what others were doing.
    3. Never give up- I doubted my abilities and skills to the point where I began to think that maybe this profession isn't for me. Maybe it was too difficult for me to secure something as an international student, and I was debating even moving back to Canada after graduating. But I decided to keep on trying and I'm so happy my mindset changed about that. The rejections I received only made me a better candidate. If you truly believe this is the profession for you, then keep on going. You will get there and everything will be worth it in the end. Becoming a solicitor isn't easy but all good things are worth waiting for.
    I'm so grateful for this forum specifically because everyone has been so supportive and uplifting. Instead of viewing everyone as competition, each individual on this platform has chosen to stay positive and help each other. I would not be where I am today without being a part of this forum. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me to ask for help. I am more than happy to help out in any capacity I can. My fingers are crossed for you guys, and I hope nothing but the best for you all! :) Keep on going!!
    congratulations!

• 🤝

cw

Feb 27, 2020
    I know bclp tend to use a scoring methodology. That as what they said when i went to one of their events. So if you score highly across the board you get through. They were pretty transparent in that regard. They also give feedback after the application rejection which helps a lot.
    Thank you!

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019

Congratulations! Amazing news!

• 🤝

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019

Congratulations Asmee!!! Truly deserved, well done!!!

• 🤝

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Yes, there is typically criteria applied and sometimes a scoring system applied. However a lot of recruitment is subjective unfortunately - it’s the nature of recruiting people. How someone may perceive your application could be different to someone else (eg someone might read it as arrogant, whilst someone else doesn’t).

Even if one person is reviewing applications, how they will perceive your application and “like” it or not can very much depend on their mentality at the time. For instance studies have shown if someone is hungry they are more likely to be perceive things with a more critical eye.
    Thank you, very useful to know!

duck

Standard Member
    Jul 23, 2020
    Hello! I’m new here and just only registered but I have a question and I hope someone could help me! :)

Does anybody know if there is any criteria for inviting people to the WG?
    I know someone asked a similar question re application screening, but I’d like to know if the invitations could be by alphabetical order?
    I applied to Freshfields and I’m still waiting to hear back; I know from here that some people were invited before the deadline and a person I know, who sent the application few days after I did, also was invited. Considering that I haven’t heard anything back yet, do I still have hope or am I more likely not getting an invitation?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    @duck When I applied to Freshfields I got invited to the WG but my email provider blocked the email so I didn't get it until it was too late. If you didn't receive the confirmation email when you submitted then that could be a problem? If you did get the confirmation email then I'm afraid I don't have anything to help.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB

duck

Standard Member
    Jul 23, 2020
    @duck When I applied to Freshfields I got invited to the WG but my email provider blocked the email so I didn't get it until it was too late. If you didn't receive the confirmation email when you submitted then that could be a problem? If you did get the confirmation email then I'm afraid I don't have anything to help.

I got the confirmation email and checked my folders to see if I had lost the invitation somewhere but nope, nothing!
    I mean if they read my application and liked it there is no reason for them to not send the invitation, and viceversa, if they didn’t like it wouldn’t they just send a rejection straight away? Unless they send block rejections ahah no idea, but this is so stressful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I’m new here and just only registered but I have a question and I hope someone could help me! :)

I know someone asked a similar question re application screening, but I’d like to know if the invitations could be by alphabetical order?
    I applied to Freshfields and I’m still waiting to hear back; I know from here that some people were invited before the deadline and a person I know, who sent the application few days after I did, also was invited. Considering that I haven’t heard anything back yet, do I still have hope or am I more likely not getting an invitation?

it won’t be alphabetically. My earlier post as to why people may or may not have heard back also applies to pre-assessments - especially as I understand it FBD does some form of screening prior to inviting to psychometric tests.

duck

Standard Member
    Jul 23, 2020
    it won’t be alphabetically. My earlier post as to why people may or may not have heard back also applies to pre-assessments - especially as I understand it FBD does some form of screening prior to inviting to psychometric tests.
    Hi Jessica! Thank you for your reply! Then I should just wait I guess and see what happens. Though, I believe I’m more likely getting a rejection at this point.

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019

When did your friend receive the WG invite? As I also applied on the 16th (which was the deadline day). Thanks :)

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    @duck I don’t think you should stress out about it. Check your portal and see if it’s updated as I checked mine and it still has the same date as the date I applied which seems like they haven’t even checked mine/screened mine yet. As Jessica mentioned previously different people will screen the applications may be someone has picked up our ones yet.

@Jessica Booker is this true with FBD - the date on your portal will be updated once it’s been screened? As my date still says 16th July the date I applied

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    @duck I don’t think you should stress out about it. Check your portal and see if it’s updated as I checked mine and it still has the same date as the date I applied which seems like they haven’t even checked mine/screened mine yet. As Jessica mentioned previously different people will screen the applications may be someone has picked up our ones yet.

@Jessica Booker is this true with FBD - the date on your portal will be updated once it’s been screened? As my date still says 16th July the date I applied

Would like to second this question (especially the last few sentences). I applied in nearly mid June, but my portal says it was updated on July 5th.. Haven't heard anything back yet(although I applied without the entirety of my grades, if that makes a difference?)

When I applied earlier for the VS , I submitted an app on the 17th Dec 2019, and the portal says it was updated on 22nd Jan(the day I was rejected). As mentioned above, my portal for the TC app says its updated on July 5, though I haven't heard back. I'm assuming that this means my app has been screened? Or are the updates arbitrary. Any clarification is appreciated :) thanks.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I don’t know the specifics of their system as it has changed since I was there. But not necessarily anyway - there’s a range of ways in which your application could be screened and yet is not fully processed on the system.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.