General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Evans

Apr 28, 2020
Got a BCLP virtual AC :) if anyone has any experience with BCLP's AC please let me know!

Also I've read the email- there isn't a date for the AC. Will obviously contact the firm but if anyone has been invited to a TC AC with BCLP, please let me know if your email had a date?

Edit: Booked my slot(the only one left) for next week!
Congratulations and good luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: dosblancos7

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi All - Is it rare for firms to offer earlier slots for those who haven't taken their LPC yet? I'm a graduate and honestly my hope would be to start as soon as possible but I've put off the LPC in hopes of securing a training contract first. All intakes right now are for 2022 but I'd hope to do my LPC right away and start in 2021., However do they typically automatically give those slots to those who have already completed their LPC?

CarinaH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 16, 2020
Hi All - Is it rare for firms to offer earlier slots for those who haven't taken their LPC yet? I'm a graduate and honestly my hope would be to start as soon as possible but I've put off the LPC in hopes of securing a training contract first. All intakes right now are for 2022 but I'd hope to do my LPC right away and start in 2021., However do they typically automatically give those slots to those who have already completed their LPC?

It’s definitely not unheard of to start earlier than the intake and always worth mentioning, but at this stage into the application process it’s probably unlikely to be the case. Not because they will give it to someone who already has the LPC, but because the intake is simply full

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

No - not necessarily, they will know a law graduate could also take it.

The only issue would be if they think their recruitment process will go beyond the LPC start date.

Most firms offer a waiting list system for anyone who does want to start earlier though. As said by the above poster, it isn't about offering them to people who have completed the LPC or not, its just a case that they have usually already recruited for those positions and therefore do not have any vacancies left. Waiting lists are there should other people later choose to defer their place, or on the odd occasion that someone doesn't pass the GDL/LPC/fails on-boarding checks/reneges their offer.

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

E

Feb 5, 2020
This question may probably have been asked before but is it usually advisable to apply for VS over direct-TCs? when is it advisable to apply for the latter than the former - I have got some legal experience but have not been on any VS?

JM813

Standard Member
Nov 24, 2019
Has anyone received an email from the government legal scheme about the verbal reasoning test? I received an email about incorrect dates put in an email but didn't receive a workling link to the test! Bit concerned as their phone lines are closed

• 🤝
Reactions: Deleted member 5185

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This question may probably have been asked before but is it usually advisable to apply for VS over direct-TCs? when is it advisable to apply for the latter than the former - I have got some legal experience but have not been on any VS?

There isn't a one size fits all answer to this. It will come down to your individual circumstances and who you are applying to.

Factors to consider:
  • Are you eligible for the VS? Often firms will apply criteria (year group/law vs non-law) to their schemes
  • Are you available for the dates of the VS? Applying for a direct TC makes more sense if you can't make the commitment to a 1-4 week internship with fixed dates (e.g. if you are abroad/if you are already working)
  • Does the firm only recruit from their VS or Open Days? Some firms do not run direct TC recruitment processes
  • What is the ratio of vac scheme places to TC places? A top heavy ratio means probably applying for a VS, a ratio of anything around 3 vac scheme places for 4 training contracts, probably means you could apply to either based on your other criteria.
  • Do you want to get to know the firm more/better before committing to a TC with them?
  • Do you feel you need to do a VS to develop your skills/knowledge? You say you have legal experience - many people with extensive legal experience wouldn't think a vac scheme is appropriate. To many who haven't worked in a commercial environment, they would probably feel it was a great opportunity to work out whether the career/firm/environment is right for them

tcseeker

Star Member
Apr 16, 2020
Has anyone received a text message on their phone from Ince saying that they have been invited to interview and should check their email? I haven't received the email, and I'm wondering if I should just wait to receive it or if I should contact them

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone received a text message on their phone from Ince saying that they have been invited to interview and should check their email? I haven't received the email, and I'm wondering if I should just wait to receive it or if I should contact them

Have you checked your junk mail?

If they are following up with a text message, it sounds like they need you to check the email fairly quickly.

Give them a call at around 3.00pm-3.30pm if you haven't received the email. If you can log into your application account, also see if you can track any emails that are sent via the applicant tracking system - some systems allow you to see emails that have been sent to you (not all do though).

tcseeker

Star Member
Apr 16, 2020
Have you checked your junk mail?

If they are following up with a text message, it sounds like they need you to check the email fairly quickly.

Give them a call at around 3.00pm-3.30pm if you haven't received the email. If you can log into your application account, also see if you can track any emails that are sent via the applicant tracking system - some systems allow you to see emails that have been sent to you (not all do though).

I will give them a call as I can’t find it in junk mail and there’s no applicant tracking system as application forms were sent via email. Thanks for your help Jessica! :)

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I haven't applied to Ince but my email provider (outlook) blocked an invitation to WG from a firm for me. It didn't go to junk/spam - just got completely blocked. It does happen so I'd really recommend contacting the firm to check.

Roland

Distinguished Member
Jan 10, 2019
Has anyone received an email from the government legal scheme about the verbal reasoning test? I received an email about incorrect dates put in an email but didn't receive a workling link to the test! Bit concerned as their phone lines are closed
Same situation here - haven't received the email containing the link to VRT but only the error email.

Reactions: Deleted member 5185
D

Deleted member 5185

Hello, yes I did. Don’t worry though, I managed to get through to the recruitment team on the phone, and they said they had sent the emails in the wrong order. We should get the email with the link soon hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.