General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zsaurcaks1

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 4, 2018
Hey guys - if I wanna do a mock interview to prep for a TC interview, what’s the best resource to do so? And also most affordable ahahaha

I would highly recommend TCLA’s mock interview with Arun Sohan-Pall as well. I used it as practice ahead of an AC during a virtual scheme and he tailored it to the structure/format of the AC and gave me feedback after each set of questions. So many of the topics we covered came up in the real interview and I really think my subsequent offer came down to the practice I’d had during that interview! If you want any more information feel free to PM me :)

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
It’s okay and thank you! I’m going to admit that I did cry a little bit (just because it was my 6th job rejection today) but the silver lining is that my eyes feel a lot clearer! Lol

I applied in February :)

So sorry about that - trust me I get it. Now I feel better about my rejection a few weeks ago but it’s really shitty feeling

I feel you guys. Received my rejection post vac scheme today and I feel the same way. Lots of reflections and learning to do.

Also want to express how much I appreciate this forum because it really does highlight the struggles behind the success stories on LinkedIn and how difficult it is to get one ‘yes’. It makes me feel a little less alone in this journey.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I would highly recommend TCLA’s mock interview with Arun Sohan-Pall as well. I used it as practice ahead of an AC during a virtual scheme and he tailored it to the structure/format of the AC and gave me feedback after each set of questions. So many of the topics we covered came up in the real interview and I really think my subsequent offer came down to the practice I’d had during that interview! If you want any more information feel free to PM me :)

Arun is a great guy! Also highly recommend him. Also, a fellow LSE'r! :)

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
It’s okay and thank you! I’m going to admit that I did cry a little bit (just because it was my 6th job rejection today) but the silver lining is that my eyes feel a lot clearer! Lol

I applied in February :)
man i know that feeling all to well.. I literally, cried on the train on the way to a BCLP networking event because I got a jones day interview rejection that day. Honestly it all feels hopeless at times. Especially for me cause I feel like the thing holding me back i cannot change. All I can say is stay strong my friend. We do not have a choice but to keep going. Its okay to cry but dont give up my friend. You can get it. You will get it. Does not matter how uncertain it is or how it looks.. you will get it. Just keep going, find a way to learn from your experiences.. and something will have to give. If you ever need to talk I got you. I had a rejection day too yesterday with rejections from smaller regional firms I was hoping would be nicer. But we gotta keep going! I believe in you!

D

Deleted member 5185

man i know that feeling all to well.. I literally, cried on the train on the way to a BCLP networking event because I got a jones day interview rejection that day. Honestly it all feels hopeless at times. Especially for me cause I feel like the thing holding me back i cannot change. All I can say is stay strong my friend. We do not have a choice but to keep going. Its okay to cry but dont give up my friend. You can get it. You will get it. Does not matter how uncertain it is or how it looks.. you will get it. Just keep going, find a way to learn from your experiences.. and something will have to give. If you ever need to talk I got you. I had a rejection day too yesterday with rejections from smaller regional firms I was hoping would be nicer. But we gotta keep going! I believe in you!

This just made me tear up a bit, can’t express how much I appreciate all of you on here. It is such a lonely and draining process sometimes and honestly I can’t wait to see all of your successes. (It’s very reassuring to see ones on here already) May the next two months be filled with acceptance emails and offers! (I am expecting a few more rejections though lol)

D

Deleted member 5185

Sorry to hear that :( but don't give up hope- it only takes one!

Just wondering, where did you see the feedback as I can't see mine in my email
Sorry to hear that :( but don't give up hope- it only takes one!

Just wondering, where did you see the feedback as I can't see mine in my email

Thank you so much ! It should have been listed in bullet points on the email, I am sure I read somewhere that BCLP are one of the few firms to offer feedback post application. It’s worth giving them an email to see :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Mo M

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    Thank you so much ! It should have been listed in bullet points on the email, I am sure I read somewhere that BCLP are one of the few firms to offer feedback post application. It’s worth giving them an email to see :)

Okay thank you! Yes they do, it's on their website so I emailed them straightaway but just wasn't sure if I was being blind when I saw that you had yours!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    For the Macfarlanes application, one of the questions is positions of responsibility/achievements/particular exam marks/position in your cohort.
    Do you just focus on academics here? And for ‘position in your cohort’- I’m a bit confused what you’re meant to put for this, unless you won an award for the best dissertation in you cohort or something. Any help would be appreciated!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    For the Macfarlanes application, one of the questions is positions of responsibility/achievements/particular exam marks/position in your cohort.
    Do you just focus on academics here? And for ‘position in your cohort’- I’m a bit confused what you’re meant to put for this, unless you won an award for the best dissertation in you cohort or something. Any help would be appreciated!

It's an either or situation. So you can talk about academics, but there is no need to solely focus on academics.I remember I spoke of my society positions, and also some academic achievements, and got the AC invite.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Nope, I wouldn't just focus on your academics here, it can be any of those things suggested.

You don't have to put something for each of those suggestions either, so if there's nothing relevant to mention about your position in your cohort, you don't have to say anything about this here. (It's just that sometimes candidates will have something to say about how a university awarded them a prize etc., based on their standing in their course.)

Reactions: M1999

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    It’s a bit of a tricky one. I have spoke to a few university who have confirmed that I can. It would be odd but what it kinda does is remove the stigma of not having good grades throughout. I am already doing an LLM at durham and have basically averaged 69.1.. a very good disso first will allow me to graduate with a first. (I also never did A-levels cause I’m international) .. so in theory, what I am trying to do is prove that I am academically capable. If I can get another first on the senior status and a first class LLM, I can’t see how I would not be regarded as academically excellent. Therefore that might make it easier for firms to consider my application.

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

I just want to say doing a second LLB (senior status) will add nothing to your profile, in my opinion, if you have already done an LLB (and an LLM on top of that!).

There are far better ways to spend two years of your time both for your personal growth and to make yourself a more desirable candidate for a training position with a reputable law firm. Just my two cents.

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018
    Rejection from BCLP. Opening the email wasn’t a nice feeling, but I thought it was really useful feedback regardless.

So sorry to hear this, rejection can be so tough :( I felt exactly the same about mine the other day. Wishing you the best of luck in your other applications, it'll all work out in the end!

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

I just want to say doing a second LLB (senior status) will add nothing to your profile, in my opinion, if you have already done an LLB (and an LLM on top of that!).

There are far better ways to spend two years of your time both for your personal growth and to make yourself a more desirable candidate for a training position with a reputable law firm. Just my two cents.
    Thanks man

• 🤝
    Reactions: FutureCity and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Positions of responsibility do not have to be academic. It could be anything that you do that isn’t employment that you do alongside your studies, whether at university or in the local community.

Some universities will tell you where you came in your cohort for certain modules or across an academic year. If that is particularly high (eg in the top 20%) I recommend stating it if you can.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.