General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

A L

Dec 20, 2018
Today has been really weird, received a rejection from Sidley Austin after completing a vacation scheme with them... on top of that received rejections from FF and Hogan. I have just been deeping life, and I randomly received an AC with Slaughter and May, guys pray for me.. I am so over this

Congrats on the AC invite and sorry for the rejections.

Most importantly, focus on the AC preparation and forget about the rejections, Abgaal.

Not just because it is what you have now: Slaughter and May is one of the most prestigious law firms and its invitation is great recognition of your ability. Believe in yourself and concentrate.

Good luck and hope you will have more good news to come.

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
Guys, I was wondering whether anyone has had a look at A&O's vac scheme questions. None of them really relate to A&O/A&O's practices. Do you think it is okay to just answer the questions for what they are, ie. explaining a challenging situation faced, or do you need to somehow link it to the Firm?
Thanks so much!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I do agree with the luck point. I've seen many exceptional applications (in my eyes) go on to receive rejections from a particular firm.

So many factors play a role: your work experience, grades, the number of applications received v places, the preference of a recruiter etc., but that's not to say there's no point focusing on quality. The idea is you want to be consistently writing applications to the best of your ability in order to maximise your chances.

As Jess said, I also rarely see applications without at least one typo, so something worth keeping an eye on!

I still spot mistakes on my CV after 15 years of adapting it/updating - it drives me mad how I didn’t spot it the last time I needed to send it to someone :D

nymi

Distinguished Member
Nov 21, 2019
Hi! Yes I applied direct TC and applied on 15th May. I think I got my WG invite the same day. I did my first stage interview early June and then had to wait two months till the AC, but they invited me to AC three weeks after the interview and let me know that the dates for next ACs weren’t confirmed yet. Hope this helps!
Oh great! Wondering if I’ll even hear back considering I applied on the 29th july

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Guys, I was wondering whether anyone has had a look at A&O's vac scheme questions. None of them really relate to A&O/A&O's practices. Do you think it is okay to just answer the questions for what they are, ie. explaining a challenging situation faced, or do you need to somehow link it to the Firm?
Thanks so much!!
Yeah I thought the same. I think perhaps the new law question could be linked to the firm.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks so much!!
I actually disagree, I am not applying to A&O because they would never hire me, but I had a look at the app. The new law question is actually linked to the firm. It is a commercial awareness question and therefore you have to analyse what’s the firm’s position in regards to that particular topic. For example, recent low interest rate so increase in M&A deals. However, this might by a bluff because of possible second interview wave and we are in recession. Clients may turn their backs to deals and explore other infrastructure opportunities. How is A&O positioned? A&O (from what I remember) is ranked Tier 1 in private m&a deals so In case the m&a magic goes on they are well positioned. Moreover, they are also quite good with restructuring so in cases there are no mergers but closures then they are ready. Plus, many of the corporate nq could be used in the restructuring departments. Finally, clients may also want to spend less. How can A&O help? A&O has tech hub so works alongside many startups who could offer more for less.

I do not know if my analysis is correct maybe ask @Daniel Boden or @Alice G

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
I actually disagree, I am not applying to A&O because they would never hire me, but I had a look at the app. The new law question is actually linked to the firm. It is a commercial awareness question and therefore you have to analyse what’s the firm’s position in regards to that particular topic. For example, recent low interest rate so increase in M&A deals. However, this might by a bluff because of possible second interview wave and we are in recession. Clients may turn their backs to deals and explore other infrastructure opportunities. How is A&O positioned? A&O (from what I remember) is ranked Tier 1 in private m&a deals so In case the m&a magic goes on they are well positioned. Moreover, they are also quite good with restructuring so in cases there are no mergers but closures then they are ready. Plus, many of the corporate nq could be used in the restructuring departments. Finally, clients may also want to spend less. How can A&O help? A&O has tech hub so works alongside many startups who could offer more for less.

I see, thanks a lot!

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
Thank you so much for this!!

Congrats on the AC invite and sorry for the rejections.

Most importantly, focus on the AC preparation and forget about the rejections, Abgaal.

Not just because it is what you have now: Slaughter and May is one of the most prestigious law firms and its invitation is great recognition of your ability. Believe in yourself and concentrate.

Good luck and hope you will have more good news to come.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
To all of those receiving FF rejections, I'm sorry to hear it. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. In my view, applying Direct for a TC is always much harder than going through a VS. I think that task has been made even more difficult with Covid which may affect the number of places on offer. While we can only hypothesize, I can only assume that if a firm was going to adjust numbers, their direct applicants would likely take the hit as they have had the "opportunity" to see the other candidates for 2 weeks during a VS.

The beauty of TCLA though is that you have a future FF Trainee Resident here in @Alice G who is incredibly helpful on the forums. She may be able to offer some assistance. While I await the outcome of my own application post-VS, I'm happy to give your application a "once-over" to cast my views, if they are of any use to you.

Stay strong! The window is open for this season so you can start applying again to all of the firms that interest you!
That’s a really kind and lovely message and I’m absolutely here to support where I can.

I think that many firms are probably still very unsure about the future and what to expect from it and I think it’s fair to hypothesise that recruitment is perhaps being impacted.

Rejection does really hurt but it’s important to take your time to be upset and reflect and build the fire in your belly to start the next cycle and round of apps. Planning really really helped me to feel more empowered and more positive so try to think of a strategy in terms of how you can improve and where you want to apply next year etc :)

@D I hope you enjoyed the scheme and fingers crossed for you!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I see, thanks a lot!
Moreover, when you talk about yourself and your achievements you need to incorporate the skills that they are looking for. Research their typical trainee's profile, listen to their podcast. A VS or TC app is a tango and you need to show how the two of you dance well together.

By the way an M&A deal includes a awful lot of practice areas: employment, tax, compliance and so on...

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

@XARA
I haven’t seen the questions specifically but I’d try to link to the firm where you can as @S87 suggests. I remember last year I think there was a question about a commercial topic and I linked it back to the firm. The more specific you can be the better so do try to find niche and interesting things to say and to link where possible to stand out :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Moreover, when you talk about yourself and your achievements you need to incorporate the skills that they are looking for. Research their typical trainee's profile, listen to their podcast. A VS or TC app is a tango and you need to show how the two of you dance well together.

By the way an M&A deal includes a awful lot of practice areas: employment, tax, compliance and so on...
Love that Tango analogy!!! Very true indeed!! :) :D

Reactions: S87

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
@XARA
I haven’t seen the questions specifically but I’d try to link to the firm where you can as @S87 suggests. I remember last year I think there was a question about a commercial topic and I linked it back to the firm. The more specific you can be the better so do try to find niche and interesting things to say and to link where possible to stand out :)
thanks so much!!!!!

Reactions: S87 and Alice G

Law123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Is this actual work or a simulation?

Hi Jessica, I haven't been told much, although I have been told it won't be marked, I was wondering whether with a general report you would do: To/From/Date or just heading as report and follow with subheadings. Thank you!!

Also, do you have any advice for a case study in an interview, and how to approach it as I do appreciate there are non-law applicants, so they are not looking for technical answers maybe? Is there anywhere I can practice these? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I haven't been told much, although I have been told it won't be marked, I was wondering whether with a general report you would do: To/From/Date or just heading as report and follow with subheadings. Thank you!!

Also, do you have any advice for a case study in an interview, and how to approach it as I do appreciate there are non-law applicants, so they are not looking for technical answers maybe? Is there anywhere I can practice these? Thank you!

You must know if it is actual work or not though (eg was it given to you by a lawyer or by HR)?

If it is real work, then I can’t advise, you need to speak to your supervisor about this.

Dan’s advice is spot on - you need to ask if there are templates you should work from.

It sounds odd to be given a task and for it not to be assessed/marked if it is a simulation.

Even with law students, they aren't necessarily looking for technical answers in case studies. They are looking for your ability to analyse information and draw conclusions from it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5185

I was thinking about all of the rejections I have been receiving lately, and noticed that the “we regret to inform you” line stings slightly less each time (lol).

It genuinely makes me happy seeing people succeeding on here though, this process is tough but this forum has made it so much more bearable.

Also, if anyone is waiting to hear back from the GLP post CRT, someone wrote on TSR that we would hear on Thursday or Friday in line with the app timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I was thinking about all of the rejections I have been receiving lately, and noticed that the “we regret to inform you” line stings slightly less each time (lol).

It genuinely makes me happy seeing people succeeding on here though, this process is tough, but this forum has made it so much more bearable.

Also, if anyone is waiting to hear back from the GLP post CRT, someone wrote on TSR that we would hear on Thursday or Friday in line with the app timeline.

I know how you feel believe me!
I spent the whole afternoon on the bed thinking about my rejections. But there is nothing I can do about them..they are the past! So ask yourself what can I do about the future?
My girlfriend just told me that I can’t give up so easily! My applications have improved so much over the past months..the applications I sent in April are shit (sorry) compared to those I sent in July. This means there is room for improvement. I can do better and I will do better! I know that I can describe my skills differently!!
I could not understand a damn thing about commercial awareness (dyslexia is a beast at times) well this morning I was explaining the asset based lending obtained by superdry.
We can do it..let’s just focus on what we can improve and how!!

Yes we can!!

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: ath120, T.W, Eva and 8 others
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.