Transactions Examples in Cover Letters/Essays

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
I was wondering how crucial is it to include an example of a transaction in a cover letter for a training contract, and if you do, in how much detail should it be covered? For example, the main reason why I am applying to firm X is the unique approach to training that they have, and therefore I focused on that in the "why us" section. I did talk about other attractive aspects of the firms, however, I did not include any deals. I did, however, mention a transaction that they have worked on in the "why commercial law" section. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    No need to mention a deal unless it's genuinely related to why you are applying. Personally, I find too many candidates mention a deal when they shouldn't.

If you do mention a deal, you want to make it clear why you are mentioning that particular deal and how it's relevant to the point you are making (about why you are applying to a particular firm).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was wondering how crucial is it to include an example of a transaction in a cover letter for a training contract, and if you do, in how much detail should it be covered? For example, the main reason why I am applying to firm X is the unique approach to training that they have, and therefore I focused on that in the "why us" section. I did talk about other attractive aspects of the firms, however, I did not include any deals. I did, however, mention a transaction that they have worked on in the "why commercial law" section. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

it really isn’t.

Just throwing a deal in for the sake more often than not will just come across as glib.

I said a few days ago, that even stating a deal can be a bit like “So what? You aren’t going to work on that deal as it has already happened and you won’t be joining us for 2-3 years”. If you do reference a deal you have to explain why that kind of work appeals to you rather than the deal itself.

Reactions: Victoria Muntean

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
    it really isn’t.

Just throwing a deal in for the sake more often than not will just come across as glib.

I said a few days ago, that even stating a deal can be a bit like “So what? You aren’t going to work on that deal as it has already happened and you won’t be joining us for 2-3 years”. If you do reference a deal you have to explain why that kind of work appeals to you rather than the deal itself.

Thank you @Jessica Booker, @Jaysen I agree with both of you. I know plenty of deals that the company has worked on but I just felt like it would not add much value to the overall application if a deal is mentioned where the overall tone of the letter is focused on other aspects of the training contract that appeal to me.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    100% agree with everything above.

It is also possible that you can get to an interview with a partner who advised on the said deal and they would be within their rights to drill down into it and really challenge you on your understanding. This should not deter people from taking this approach if it is one of their genuine reasons for applying, though I would say caution should be exercised and knowing a deal/transaction inside and out would be the only real safe bet.

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    Just to reiterate/build on what people have already said here - mentioning a deal is fine, but never shoehorn it in for the sake of appearances. The best rule I was ever given in terms of applications was never to write anything - in a CV, case study, competency answer, whatever - unless you could back it up/speak authoritatively/with clarity on it if asked about it.

If you want to mention a deal, it should be linked to a specific practice area or industry that interests you. If you're going to do it, you need to know a chunk about the deal, the practice area for the firm, and the industry as a whole - and to be able to weave them into a cohesive answer, potentially off the bat. I once mentioned in my application my interest in a deal revolving around military aviation financing. The very first question that came from the partner interviewing me was along the lines of "I see on your application that you mentioned [XXX deal]. Why do you think it was so important exactly? It's a bit of a niche subject, what on earth interests you in this?"

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
    Just to reiterate/build on what people have already said here - mentioning a deal is fine, but never shoehorn it in for the sake of appearances. The best rule I was ever given in terms of applications was never to write anything - in a CV, case study, competency answer, whatever - unless you could back it up/speak authoritatively/with clarity on it if asked about it.

If you want to mention a deal, it should be linked to a specific practice area or industry that interests you. If you're going to do it, you need to know a chunk about the deal, the practice area for the firm, and the industry as a whole - and to be able to weave them into a cohesive answer, potentially off the bat. I once mentioned in my application my interest in a deal revolving around military aviation financing. The very first question that came from the partner interviewing me was along the lines of "I see on your application that you mentioned [XXX deal]. Why do you think it was so important exactly? It's a bit of a niche subject, what on earth interests you in this?"

I agree with you! I feel like there is too much misleading information on the web regarding what a cover letter must religiously include that applicants take as given instead of actually trying to adapt it to their own profile. Thank you all for clarifying on this topic!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.