Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
this might be a stupid question buttt I was basically signed up to attend the HSF Grad Rec live chats for 3pm today but I completely missed it because I was super busy with something... I'm just wondering wether this means they will blacklist me for signing up to but not attending an event. In the past there have been two firms (not hsf) that have come onto uni campus and said that the people who signed up to but didn't attend their event are blacklisted :oops:

I doubt it was even true for the two firms who said it was the case.

I very much doubt you will be blacklisted, especially for an online event.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
oh right that honestly gives me piece of minds! still gutted i missed the event because I had so many questions.

So, those firms just say that to scare applicants? seems a bit arsey imo

I kind of get it with campus events - they put a lot of effort and spend a lot of money for people to attend, and so if lots of people drop out it is a waste of everyone's time (I once had 5 people turn up for an event in Durham when we had spent about £6,000 on getting up there and running the event!). So to try and manage expectations, I can understand a firm trying to encourage people to definitely attend or at least let you know 48 hours in advance if you can't go.

I just very much doubt that if you were a good enough applicant they would blacklist you for not attending. The exceptions are if it is a highly selective event like a dinner, or worse a no-show to an open day/insight event. I definitely blacklisted someone who didn't turn up to their vacation scheme.... but by that point I think they had already decided the firm wasn't for them :D

• Haha
Reactions: Lawbour

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
I kind of get it with campus events - they put a lot of effort and spend a lot of money for people to attend, and so if lots of people drop out it is a waste of everyone's time (I once had 5 people turn up for an event in Durham when we had spent about £6,000 on getting up there and running the event!). So to try and manage expectations, I can understand a firm trying to encourage people to definitely attend or at least let you know 48 hours in advance if you can't go.

I just very much doubt that if you were a good enough applicant they would blacklist you for not attending. The exceptions are if it is a highly selective event like a dinner, or worse a no-show to an open day/insight event. I definitely blacklisted someone who didn't turn up to their vacation scheme.... but by that point I think they had already decided the firm wasn't for them :D

Oh yes, I didn't even think about it from your point of view! I can safely say I have attended all in-person events I have signed up to haha, the comments that grad rec made have just stook with me so I panicked a little (*lot*) with this one

orange32

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
Hi Jessica, if I have several mooting experiences & mini-pupillages in their CV, how should I present these experiences? (Especially if there's no question in the application form on 'why commercial law' so it's hard to really show passion about it). I'm afraid GR might simply think I'm not interested in a career in the City. Would the better option simply be to omit these experiences entirely?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, if I have several mooting experiences & mini-pupillages in their CV, how should I present these experiences? (Especially if there's no question in the application form on 'why commercial law' so it's hard to really show passion about it). I'm afraid GR might simply think I'm not interested in a career in the City. Would the better option simply be to omit these experiences entirely?

Definitely wouldn't recommend omitting them. Your CV could look pretty lacking without them. People are allowed to change their minds on which career path they take, its just up to you to explain that change of thinking.

Focus on the transferable skills and when covering the "why firm" part of your application maybe spend some time/effort into explaining the particular aspects of the firm that would contrast differently to working as a barrister.

Also pull on your other experiences to show case the skills/working styles that are more aligned to working in a law firm rather than as a barrister.

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am applying for an open day and the instructions state to send an email to a generic graduate recruitment email. However, it does not state who to address the email to. I remember the name of the Graduate Recruitment Manager and was wondering whether to address it to her or whether "Dear Graduate Recruitment Team" would be more appropriate?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am applying for an open day and the instructions state to send an email to a generic graduate recruitment email. However, it does not state who to address the email to. I remember the name of the Graduate Recruitment Manager and was wondering whether to address it to her or whether "Dear Graduate Recruitment Team" would be more appropriate?

Either will be fine

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
Hi Jessica, I've been filling out some Apply4Law applications. One firm (HL) has a work history section with a 250 word limit per job and says to list "paid work experience", with a separate section for open days and volunteering work, 50 words each.

I had gotten onto several first year schemes, but all of them had the work experience portion cancelled such that they were basically just open days with fast tracks to interviews. Should I still put them here?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I've been filling out some Apply4Law applications. One firm (HL) has a work history section with a 250 word limit per job and says to list "paid work experience", with a separate section for open days and volunteering work, 50 words each.

I had gotten onto several first year schemes, but all of them had the work experience portion cancelled such that they were basically just open days with fast tracks to interviews. Should I still put them here?

Yes - assuming they weren’t paid, put them in the open day section. If there is an additional section question you could always explain the schemes were shortened there

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

CG

Sep 20, 2020
Hey Jessica,

I have a question on CVs.

In the education sector, would I need to write down all my modules and those grades I achieved e.g banking (70), disputes (competent) etc? I completed the LPC and LLB so it does take up a lot of space as I’ve studied a lot of modules.

I have received some mixed responses on this so was just wondering how to best approach the education section and what’s the best way to layout a good CV?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey Jessica,

I have a question on CVs.

In the education sector, would I need to write down all my modules and those grades I achieved e.g banking (70), disputes (competent) etc? I completed the LPC and LLB so it does take up a lot of space as I’ve studied a lot of modules.

I have received some mixed responses on this so was just wondering how to best approach the education section and what’s the best way to layout a good CV?

Yes - when applying to law firms, more generally than not, I advise putting all modules grades down. One of the more concise formats is something like the below

3rd year: Module (60); Module 2 (70); Module 3 (65); Dissertation (65). 2nd year: Module (60); Module 2 (70); Module 3 (65); Module 4 (65).

Generally with the above format it will only take up 2-3 lines.

CG

Sep 20, 2020
Yes - when applying to law firms, more generally than not, I advise putting all modules grades down. One of the more concise formats is something like the below

3rd year: Module (60); Module 2 (70); Module 3 (65); Dissertation (65). 2nd year: Module (60); Module 2 (70); Module 3 (65); Module 4 (65).

Thank you! This helps a lot :)

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
hello, another question :)

i just spotted a typo in one of my open day apps (unites, not units). it's in the bit where i explain my uni's grading system.

do i assume that that's a rejection? will they spot it? will they care if the rest of the app's good?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hello, another question :)

i just spotted a typo in one of my open day apps (unites, not units). it's in the bit where i explain my uni's grading system.

do i assume that that's a rejection? will they spot it? will they care if the rest of the app's good?

to some firms maybe, but not all.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Does HSF send you pass/rejection confirmation following their blended assessment SJT thingy? .. I've read someone saying they passed the benchmark, but not sure if that email is universal(as opposed to A&O, who send you the SJT outcome regardless of pass/fail)

My friend who did the HSF first year scheme never got a confirmation email, but rather got the place anyways.. so yeah clarification from anyone would be super helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.