General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    That must be an error, might be worth emailing them? Doubt they'd read it an app so quickly

I think its an error too. I emailed and called multiple times. Calls won't even connect. :(

Whats really pissing me off is that I have a disability and meet their minimum criteria so Im supposed to get further than app stage per their own grad rec site. I'm just going to keep calling but at this rate every day it isn't fixed is another day they fill spaces up and I miss the chance entirely.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    I think its an error too. I emailed and called multiple times. Calls won't even connect. :(

Whats really pissing me off is that I have a disability and meet their minimum criteria so Im supposed to get further than app stage per their own grad rec site. I'm just going to keep calling but at this rate every day it isn't fixed is another day they fill spaces up and I miss the chance entirely.
    I had the same thing happen! (Applied after 8pm on a Monday then rejected at 10am on Wednesday) I’ve assumed it’s because I applied to their summer last year but who knows! Bit frustrating given I wrote a completely knew application and have two new formal pieces of work experience this time!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I had the same thing happen! (Applied after 8pm on a Monday then rejected at 10am on Wednesday) I’ve assumed it’s because I applied to their summer last year but who knows! Bit frustrating given I wrote a completely knew application and have two new formal pieces of work experience this time!

They dont even disallow multiple applications in the same year or cycle. It says so on their site. So if you and I were rejected for that reason Im going to be real ticked I spent time on an app because I trusted the FAQ.

upload_2020-10-16_20-47-20.png
    https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en-gb/careers/graduates/apply/faq

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    @Jessica Booker what would you suggest for the question "If applicable, what do you do to keep up to date with your foreign language skills?" - i have some foreign language skills but with uni, a new job, and application seasons, that has fallen by the wayside a bit for me. Would it be better to just not mention any additional language skills I have then, and leave this question blank?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker what would you suggest for the question "If applicable, what do you do to keep up to date with your foreign language skills?" - i have some foreign language skills but with uni, a new job, and application seasons, that has fallen by the wayside a bit for me. Would it be better to just not mention any additional language skills I have then, and leave this question blank?

then you leave it blank

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Need some advice about applications. I have made a few winter vac scheme apps but if i were to get more than one offer they overlap so I could only accept one. Although unlikely, if this happens, do you think I could then defer one to another scheme e.g spring / summer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Apparently this question isn't worth answering. Guess we are to assume grad rec is infallible.

Well that’s rather rude. Attitudes like that are not welcome here.

Edit: Thanks for the funny vote too - very mature of you.

Last edited:

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Need some advice about applications. I have made a few winter vac scheme apps but if i were to get more than one offer they overlap so I could only accept one. Although unlikely, if this happens, do you think I could then defer one to another scheme e.g spring / summer?

I've never heard of this being possible ever - but even if you reject the vs offer the company can still consider you for a training contract so it doesn't totally ruin your chances

Reactions: Lawgirl123

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
    Hey guys, I applied to the HSF winter vac scheme and passed the test but have not heard back yet.

I now know I cannot do winter vac schemes (BPP told me they would make it work even though they clash with exams to get me to join but are now saying it is impossible to do them). Should I email grad rec to ask them to consider me for a different scheme or just wait until I hear back to see if I even get an interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, I applied to the HSF winter vac scheme and passed the test but have not heard back yet.

I now know I cannot do winter vac schemes (BPP told me they would make it work even though they clash with exams to get me to join but are now saying it is impossible to do them). Should I email grad rec to ask them to consider me for a different scheme or just wait until I hear back to see if I even get an interview?

I would wait until you have heard back.

Reactions: lawlad

cgs97

Star Member
    Mar 15, 2020
    Does anyone know if you can apply for more than one thing per year at White & Case? I'm unsure if I should apply for their winter, spring or summer vac scheme. Also, does anyone know if the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.