General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Simmons & Simmons, I received my rejection at 19:30 Sunday night, didn't pass their test.

Yet I passed the same types of tests with Herbert Smith Freehills, alas! Anyone had any update from Herbert Smith's with regards to Assessment Centres? Just conscious because the website says they'll be arranged in November and I'll need time off work

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and (deleted member)

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Simmons & Simmons, I received my rejection at 19:30 Sunday night, didn't pass their test.

Yet I passed the same types of tests with Herbert Smith Freehills, alas! Anyone had any update from Herbert Smith's with regards to Assessment Centres? Just conscious because the website says they'll be arranged in November and I'll need time off work

Simmons is an incredibly odd test. I know of three people who have TCs and have passed every test for every other firm with no issue that have failed Simmons.

Something I didn't like about the test is that a lot of the offered options aren't mutually exclusive, which most other SJTs at least TRY to avoid. Oh well.

Reactions: IntrepidL and FM302989

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Does anyone know if you can still apply for the Spring Vac Scheme 2021 at Baker McKenzie if I already applied for the direct TC in April this year (and got through to the Video Interview stage)?

NLaw18

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    Most firms are unlikely to offer visas for internships given the costs for such a short placement. Exceptions tend to be when they have specific recruitment drives to recruit people from certain countries (typically China/Dubai).

It can cost several thousand pounds just to get a visa, so firms don't really see the value in getting them for a 1-4 week vacation scheme unless there is a true talent pipeline needed.

That is true. It is really disappointing to know though since a lot of firms these days recruit exclusively or pre dominantly from Vacation Schemes and it puts us as international candidates at a huge disadvantage. I am personally facing that problem myself. Being based in Dubai, I have found it to be really difficult to secure Vacation Schemes/TCs despite having a first class degree and securing a distinction in the LPC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That is true. It is really disappointing to know though since a lot of firms these days recruit exclusively or pre dominantly from Vacation Schemes and it puts us as international candidates at a huge disadvantage. I am personally facing that problem myself. Being based in Dubai, I have found it to be really difficult to secure Vacation Schemes/TCs despite having a first class degree and securing a distinction in the LPC.

It is different if you are an international student studying in the U.K. Then a visa is straight forward and as of next June will be the case even if you have graduated in the last 2 years.

Look to whether you are eligible for a youth mobility visa - will depend on your home country, but this is one way you can work in the U.K. Its just you will need to pay for it

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I applied 2 weeks ago and i got a WG invite yesterday and they're only giving 48hours to do it!

Is the test under timed conditions? If so, they normally give you a fair amount of time to read and think about each question with time to spare.

Have a look at some free practice questions on Assessment Day to really familiarise yourself with how each type of question works. Once you've done a few, you'll have no issues with WGs in the future.

But yes, 48 hours is a tight deadline!

Evelina

Star Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    y
    Is the test under timed conditions? If so, they normally give you a fair amount of time to read and think about each question with time to spare.

Have a look at some free practice questions on Assessment Day to really familiarise yourself with how each type of question works. Once you've done a few, you'll have no issues with WGs in the future.

But yes, 48 hours is a tight deadline!
    yeah its 30mins 40qs!

thanks for the tips!!

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    Still getting emails from White & Case saying they’re reviewing my 2022 Training Contract application....
    Same here. I reached out to their grad resourcing team earlier today to ask about putting in a vac scheme application while awaiting the outcome of my previous application (as they recruit on a rolling basis for their VS). She advised that we should hopefully hear back by today or early next week at the latest.

A bit disappointing that this is the email we received today, but hopefully we should receive a decision next week.

She also advised that they are currently focusing on reviewing their outstanding TC apps and have not yet started paying too much attention to VS apps.

Sam55

Esteemed Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Same here. I reached out to their grad resourcing team earlier today to ask about putting in a vac scheme application while awaiting the outcome of my previous application (as they recruit on a rolling basis for their VS). She advised that we should hopefully hear back by today or early next week at the latest.

A bit disappointing that this is the email we received today, but hopefully we should receive a decision next week.

She also advised that they are currently focusing on reviewing their outstanding TC apps and have not yet started paying too much attention to VS apps.

You brought my hopes up for a second there, when you said outstanding TC apps I thought you meant the really good ones lol

• Haha
    Reactions: Tintin06
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.