Status
Not open for further replies.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Does anyone have insight into whether its worth applying to Sidley Austin for winter vac in the next few days? Apps close early November and they review rolling so I would rather wait until spring if I have a better shot.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jenna
D

Deleted member 4851

Has anyone had a rejection from White and Case’s direct TC app yet? I feel like mine is probably lost in translation, since I applied in April, but I am still holding out a tiny dot of hope. I cannot bring myself to make any more applications tbh, I still have a bit of trauma from the last cycle of rejection o_O.
I haven't received a rejection yet, only got an email on Saturday saying that they are busy going through the apps and that they will update us asap.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Deleted member 5185

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone, please note that you may have some trouble accessing the main TCLA website (www.thecorporatelawacademy.com) over the next couple of hours. This should not affect the forum or TCLA Premium.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

Edit: This is now taking place Tuesday morning. If any premium members need to send an application to us during this time, you can do so by directly emailing [email protected].

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 2707

Wondering if anyone that applied for Slaughters' Winter Workshop has heard back yet? I've yet to send my application and am worried they've filled up spots due to them recruiting on a rolling basis. :( Is it better to just apply for a TC?

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Wondering if anyone that applied for Slaughters' Winter Workshop has heard back yet? I've yet to send my application and am worried they've filled up spots due to them recruiting on a rolling basis. :( Is it better to just apply for a TC?
    With reference to the winter workshop, their website states offers will not be made until after the closing date!

Reactions: Nat000

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
    Does anyone have insight into whether its worth applying to Sidley Austin for winter vac in the next few days? Apps close early November and they review rolling so I would rather wait until spring if I have a better shot.

I applied to their summer vac 10 mins before the deadline and ended up getting a vac scheme, so I would go for it if I was you.

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you apply within a week of the deadline you'll still be ahead of the majority of candidates, so that's the rule of thumb I go by!

Also, I think it has been posted a few times that the majority of candidates apply on the deadline day (for both rolling and non-rolling deadlines).

Reactions: Evelina and lawlad

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I have a 2:1 but my grades are very inconsistent (ranging from 42% to 90%) for a whole host of reasons. Does anyone know of any firms that don't request a breakdown of your degree modules because I feel like I'm wasting my time with any firm that looks at them?

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    I have a 2:1 but my grades are very inconsistent (ranging from 42% to 90%) for a whole host of reasons. Does anyone know of any firms that don't request a breakdown of your degree modules because I feel like I'm wasting my time with any firm that looks at them?
    Perhaps some that ask for a cover letter and CV but tbh I think most formal applications will ask for a breakdown. Do you have any mitigating circumstance? I think generally though there’s a wide range of factors firms look at than solely grades and I think so long as you have a 2:1 coupled with a good app, experience, extra curriculars etc it should put you in good stead.

Reactions: Camilla

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

Most firms will look at them but I wouldn’t say you’re wasting time if you meet their minimum requires (2:1 achieved or predicted). There’s only certain firms that really focus on particular modules grades (S&M and contract law spring to mind).

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Perhaps some that ask for a cover letter and CV but tbh I think most formal applications will ask for a breakdown. Do you have any mitigating circumstance? I think generally though there’s a wide range of factors firms look at than solely grades and I think so long as you have a 2:1 coupled with a good app, experience, extra curriculars etc it should put you in good stead.

Most firms will look at them but I wouldn’t say you’re wasting time if you meet their minimum requires (2:1 achieved or predicted). There’s only certain firms that really focus on particular modules grades (S&M and contract law spring to mind).

I do have mitigating circumstances but they don't appear to make that much difference to be honest. I just got rejected from a firm that I've visited on multiple occasions and have work experience with. My application was reviewed by trainees at the firm and careers advisors. I checked every word of it. I just think that my disability is something that they're happy to accommodate at the firm but won't actually make an allowance for in my grades.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    I do have mitigating circumstances but they don't appear to make that much difference to be honest. I just got rejected from a firm that I've visited on multiple occasions and have work experience with. My application was reviewed by trainees at the firm and careers advisors. I checked every word of it. I just think that my disability is something that they're happy to accommodate at the firm but won't actually make an allowance for in my grades.
    I spoke to a partner at S&M who said he had a 2.2 in jurisprudence and he said the best thing to do is just to use part of your application to explain the grade. Don’t know how much this will apply for other firms but for them that’s what they’ve said, hope that is some sort of help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Can you get an academic reference to verify the impact on your grades?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Can you get an academic reference to verify the impact on your grades?
    I can definitely try but at university I never had the same tutor for more than one module and my personal tutor left after my first year and was never replaced. I'm supposed to have a professional tutor for my reference but she left the university after I graduated and she hasn't been replaced.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I can definitely try but at university I never had the same tutor for more than one module and my personal tutor left after my first year and was never replaced. I'm supposed to have a professional tutor for my reference but she left the university after I graduated and she hasn't been replaced.

You should still speak to the university to see if someone can provide a reference to explain the impact on your grades.

The difficulty for recruiters when grades are not what they would typically expect and there are circumstances behind them, that they have no ability to quantify how the circumstances impacted grades. People attached to the academics results are in a much stronger position to be able to do this.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    is 1,000 words objectively just too long for a cover letter?

Personally I aim for no more than 500 words (not saying it has to be 500 words or close if it doesn't need to be). But I agree with Jessica, most cover letters should be no more than a page long, but it also depends on any instructions the firm gives you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.