General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
Jan 7, 2020
I submitted mine mid-September and still nothing. It was for a TC.

Interesting.... I applied mid september too, but i updated my GDL results yesterday (finally) and the grad rec said she'd update my application so i am assuming that they have not yet considered it otherwise why would they bother if it was rejected?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would you be able to share the trigger words that graduate recruitment teams don't like? Thanks!:D

Anything someone wouldn’t say in conversation basically.

Too many people get the thesaurus out to find a supposedly more articulate/educated/flamboyant version of a word thinking it will sound impressive. It usually has the opposite effect

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
I have a 2:1 but my grades are very inconsistent (ranging from 42% to 90%) for a whole host of reasons. Does anyone know of any firms that don't request a breakdown of your degree modules because I feel like I'm wasting my time with any firm that looks at them?
I believe that Edwin Coe doesn't! hope that helps

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
Jan 7, 2020
I have a 2:1 but my grades are very inconsistent (ranging from 42% to 90%) for a whole host of reasons. Does anyone know of any firms that don't request a breakdown of your degree modules because I feel like I'm wasting my time with any firm that looks at them?

I would still apply, if you did excellent in modules relevant to the firm they may see past the lower grades. Also if you have mitigating circumstances you can mention these too

• 🤝
Reactions: Ifeoluwa

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
I spoke to a partner at S&M who said he had a 2.2 in jurisprudence and he said the best thing to do is just to use part of your application to explain the grade. Don’t know how much this will apply for other firms but for them that’s what they’ve said, hope that is some sort of help!
That's fair, but I would keep in mind that using a partner as an example in this sort of case should always be done with a heavy pinch of salt. He or she is probably a good 15-20 years out of the application process, which by all accounts has become far more competitive - and far less flexible - than it used to be. It's not dissimilar to the invariable example of commercial barristers with 2.2s, who happen to be of an age/entered the profession when that wasn't the hindrance it is now.

That said, other than S&M, most firms don't place a massive emphasis on individual module grades - what matters is your overall degree award. The only point is of course if you are reading law/jurisprudence and do particularly badly on a particular module, especially if it's related to the firm's business, it might be something they might ask you to explain.

Anecdotally, most of the people I know with TCs have low to mid 2.1s, including at several MC/US firms, so going by that small sample size, I doubt it is that much of a barrier.

Last edited:

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
Anything someone wouldn’t say in conversation basically.

Too many people get the thesaurus out to find a supposedly more articulate/educated/flamboyant version of a word thinking it will sound impressive. It usually has the opposite effect

Out of idle curiosity, does grad rec hate the word "passionate" in applications? I knew several admissions tutors, all of whom loathed seeing the word in a personal statement...does that hatred transfer across to grad rec?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Out of idle curiosity, does grad rec hate the word "passionate" in applications? I knew several admissions tutors, all of whom loathed seeing the word in a personal statement...does that hatred transfer across to grad rec?

It is fine as long as you are truly passionate and explain why. Just stating that you are passionate about X practice area is too superficial.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I would still apply, if you did excellent in modules relevant to the firm they may see past the lower grades. Also if you have mitigating circumstances you can mention these too
Thank you. I did a non-law undergrad so nothing is particularly relevant from that - although I did achieve over 80% in my GDL master's.

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
Did it this morning. I found it a bit of a mixed bag. Some questions were good and some were hard. How did you find it?
I haven’t been invited yet, just want to be extra prepared haha. When did you apply? And did they respond within the 10working days? Would you say the questions were like typical video interview questions? Sorry for all the questions!

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    The feedback email advises that they look for the certain competencies in the application form. I'm gonna share this below as I'm sure it will apply to plenty of firms.

My problem is I can't be certain where I fell short given that I've graduated with 2:1s across the board, completed the LPC, have a year of quality Paralegal experience, had multiple part-time jobs while studying, do tons of extra-curriculars and a Vacation Scheme under my belt.

Alas, the lesson is carry on and target firms that offer the work you're genuinely interested in and that you've got the skills and profile for. I was interested in HSF, but I never really set my heart on them, they're just one of the few that offer Winter Vac Schemes. I have a Vac Scheme lined up in Spring which I'm really excited and passionate about.

_ _ _

Academic qualifications - We expect candidates to have had a strong record of academic achievement through each year at university. We feel it is important that we set these high academic criteria, as a good predictor of success in our professional exams and performance as a trainee. Please note that we do take into consideration any mitigating circumstances that may have affected your academic performance.

Skills and achievements, extra-curricular activities, scholarships, prizes, positions of responsibility and work experience. These are important and provide us with evidence of skills such as taking responsibility, motivation and drive, and planning and organisation. These questions also enable us to assess your ability to write clearly and concisely and your attention to detail.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Staples
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.