Allen & Overy "Introduce a new law" question for VS application

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
I was just wondering with respect to this particular question, would it be reasonable to talk about a legal issue that requires (or so stakeholders say) reform? Essentially, I would not propose a law, but I would argue in favour of law reform and why do I think it is important (also I would try to explain how A&O's legal expertise in the field can contribute/how is it relevant to A&O). Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was just wondering with respect to this particular question, would it be reasonable to talk about a legal issue that requires (or so stakeholders say) reform? Essentially, I would not propose a law, but I would argue in favour of law reform and why do I think it is important (also I would try to explain how A&O's legal expertise in the field can contribute/how is it relevant to A&O). Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

a reform is still a new law.

Unless you are specifically asked, you don’t have to explain how A&O’s expertise would contribute to this though.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Agree with Jess - a reform can make new law so I see no issue with this at all.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker and @Alice G

Do you think that the new law should relate to a specific sector in which A&O is involved?

No, even if you are taking more of a commercial route it is not necessary to do so. If it naturally fits into your answer and it isn't forced then there is no harm in doing this though. Many applicants have opted to discuss things they are passionate about outside the commercial world too so there is no need to link this question to A&0. The quality of how you write and the analysis you offer will determine the strength of the answer.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
No, even if you are taking more of a commercial route it is not necessary to do so. If it naturally fits into your answer and it isn't forced then there is no harm in doing this though. Many applicants have opted to discuss things they are passionate about outside the commercial world too so there is no need to link this question to A&0. The quality of how you write and the analysis you offer will determine the strength of the answer.
Alice, thank you so much for your answer. I will start my research asap

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker and @Alice G

Do you think that the new law should relate to a specific sector in which A&O is involved?

Not necessarily - I think it can be more general or be in a sector that A&O are not directly involved in. This isn't really a "why you want to do the job" question, it is much more to see your analytical and communication skills and so the subject of it becomes less relevant. However, if your application is lacking "commercial" evidence, this is obviously an opportunity to potentially counter-balance this.

Reactions: S87

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
I've just got to this question in my application and I am wondering if it is better to apply for a VS or the direct TC as the question is in both applications. I did a VS in july (virtual obviously) and will graduate in 2021 (non-law) so don't know what the smartest move is given I applied to A&O last year and was unsuccessful for the VS

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I've just got to this question in my application and I am wondering if it is better to apply for a VS or the direct TC as the question is in both applications. I did a VS in july (virtual obviously) and will graduate in 2021 (non-law) so don't know what the smartest move is given I applied to A&O last year and was unsuccessful for the VS

Was the VS with A&O? What is the eligibility for a VS?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
No the VS was with Deloitte and from what I can see the VS is open to any penultimate or final student plus graduates from any degree.
If you’re eligible for either the direct app or the VS then it’s really up to you. You have the advantage of a Vac scheme but it really depends if you would rather do a VS to give yourself the chance to get to know A&O better or if you’d rather just go direct and you’re pretty happy you feel that if you got the TC you’d be happy to train there.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am an international student. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to write about a law specific to my country. Or is it necessary to write about law of the place where the firm operates?

It can be either.

If you are an international students with little or no connections to the location of the job opportunity you are applying to, this could be an opportunity though to showcase some kind of knowledge connection to that location. That obviously depends on the evidence in the rest of your application though.

Vishal Rajvansh

Standard Member
May 31, 2020
It can be either.

If you are an international students with little or no connections to the location of the job opportunity you are applying to, this could be an opportunity though to showcase some kind of knowledge connection to that location. That obviously depends on the evidence in the rest of your application though.
Thank You @Jessica Booker. That helps. I was skeptical about whether the firm would be interested in law of the place it does not operate.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank You @Jessica Booker. That helps. I was skeptical about whether the firm would be interested in law of the place it does not operate.

That's not really the point of the question. Plenty of people talk about non-commercial matters in these type of questions. This is more about your analytical skills and your written communication skills.

Also, a firm like A&O "operates" in many places it doesn't have offices in, so it may still be relevant to the type of work they do with clients even if they don't have an office there.

Vishal Rajvansh

Standard Member
May 31, 2020
That's not really the point of the question. Plenty of people talk about non-commercial matters in these type of questions. This is more about your analytical skills and your written communication skills.

Also, a firm like A&O "operates" in many places it doesn't have offices in, so it may still be relevant to the type of work they do with clients even if they don't have an office there.
Thank you @Jessica Booker

Victoria Muntean

Sep 4, 2020
Is anyone aware whether A&O send a confirmation email after the candidate submit their application? It is my first time applying with the firm and its been over 12 hours I submitted my application, but oddly enough, I haven't heard back from time (not an automatic email saying that they had received the app or anything of those sorts).

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker I hope you are well. I have 3 different ideas for this question but all have been thought of in the past it appears after doing a google search. Do you think this is a problem? Also I assume a new tax can be classed as a new law?

many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I hope you are well. I have 3 different ideas for this question but all have been thought of in the past it appears after doing a google search. Do you think this is a problem? Also I assume a new tax can be classed as a new law?

many thanks!

There are only so many ideas in the world relating to laws that are practical/realistic. I wouldn’t worry if it has been thought of before.

Be mindful that tax could be defined as policy rather than law. You could frame it more as to what legal implications/ideas there might be to stop tax loopholes or something similar to that though - eg what are the legal ramifications to ensure people comply with tax policies.

Reactions: Lawgirl123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.