General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Someone told me on TSR that if you haven’t sent off summer applications before mid December you have a very slim chance. With respect to rolling, how true is this statement? It seems to me that currently most firms are recruiting for the winter VS, and I’m guessing will start reviewing the summer/spring when they have finished recruiting and organising which is in a couple of weeks?
I applied to Vinson & Elkins the day of the deadline this year and still got the VI.

• 🏆
Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97 and NadineBusty

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Can you explain what the difference is? Do you not need to use examples in a strength-based interview? Thanks!
Strength based questions determine what your strengths and motivations are, and how you would respond in X circumstances (e.g. what would you do if given a task which you don't know how to complete/haven't got time to do). They are basically looking to see what kind of trainee you would be. You can't necessarily prepare for these kinds of questions in the way that you can with competency questions.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Does anyone know a good structure for when writing about a commercial story that interest you on an application. I feel like I tend to waffle too much and ends up being too descriptive. Would I need to link it back to the firm? or any of their competencies and how could I do this? Also one of the questions asks for the implications of the case but I'm not 100% sure of what this means? Any help would be super appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can you explain what the difference is? Do you not need to use examples in a strength-based interview? Thanks!

Strengths based interviews (if thats what they truly are) tend to be forward looking rather than backwards looking, often asking you to often see how you may respond to something in the future, rather than how you have in the past.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know a good structure for when writing about a commercial story that interest you on an application. I feel like I tend to waffle too much and ends up being too descriptive. Would I need to link it back to the firm? or any of their competencies and how could I do this? Also one of the questions asks for the implications of the case but I'm not 100% sure of what this means? Any help would be super appreciated!

You only have to link it to the firm if they explictly ask you to in the question posed. Its probably worthwhile seeing the question you are talking about it full to understand the context of "implications".

Lawyered22

Oct 19, 2020
Hello Jaysen, I requested Premium membership a couple weeks ago now in order to access the app reviewing service but I am yet to hear back anything regarding it. Are there any other steps I need to take or do I just need to be patient? Currently waiting until I get feedback before submitting any more apps this cycle

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker - I’m writing a VS application for a firm that asks for a 500 word cover letter about myself and “why this firm”. Normally I’d tackle the “myself” part by focusing on my motivation and my skills - but those are covered by separate 250 word questions (one on “why law” and one on my skills). So I’m not sure what they want me to talk about in the “myself” section of the cover letter!
    Would you have any tips? I was thinking I could talk about my previous experiences/background (bringing together motivation and skills), but not sure that’s what they’re looking for, and I’d risk repeating myself anyway?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello Jaysen, I requested Premium membership a couple weeks ago now in order to access the app reviewing service but I am yet to hear back anything regarding it. Are there any other steps I need to take or do I just need to be patient? Currently waiting until I get feedback before submitting any more apps this cycle

@Jaysen - just tagging in you in case you didn't see this post

Reactions: Jaysen

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    You only have to link it to the firm if they explictly ask you to in the question posed. Its probably worthwhile seeing the question you are talking about it full to understand the context of "implications".
    So the questions is: 'Discuss a legal case that recently caught your attention. Why did this interest you and what were the implications?'
    Is there a structure I could follow to answer questions like these similar to the STAR structure when answering competency questions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So the questions is: 'Discuss a legal case that recently caught your attention. Why did this interest you and what were the implications?'
    Is there a structure I could follow to answer questions like these similar to the STAR structure when answering competency questions?
    • Explain why that case caught your attention
    • Explain why the subject matter interests you
    • Rather than detailing the case, explain the outcome of the case, and how it may impact future work a law firm could be doing (or how they may advise clients on the subject matter) in the future

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Hey there, I did respond to this last time. Please drop me a PM!
    Hey - I don't think we have a premium membership associated with the email you signed up to the forum with. Could you drop me a PM with your premium email address? Thanks!

D

Deleted member 2707

• Explain why that case caught your attention
    • Explain why the subject matter interests you
    • Rather than detailing the case, explain the outcome of the case, and how it may impact future work a law firm could be doing (or how they may advise clients on the subject matter) in the future

Hi Jessica, is it fair to say that in most applications we should focus more on talking about our motivations/why we're invested rather than loading the answer with hard facts?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, is it fair to say that in most applications we should focus more on talking about our motivations/why we're invested rather than loading the answer with hard facts?

No - in the case you need a balance given the final point. You also need to show your analysis (rather than facts) for the final point too.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    What does a letter grade mean when putting your Undergrad results in... shall I leave it blank and just put the percentage? Or is it asking me to say if its an 'I' for a First. A bit confused. Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.