2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2707

For the Travers VS Application, do we need to talk about 'why us' in the cover letter if there is a separate question asking for us to "Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.*?

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Take notes on the call, or try and speak to the partner beforehand if there's anything he/she would like you to do. Equally, if you know who the client is, try and research their industry/trends in the industry so you have a bit of background of things/issues to be aware of.

Other than that, just use it as a learning experience and try to gain as much from it as you can!

You'll be fine :)

Thank you! This was super helpful in calming my nerves, I didn't speak at all during the client portion but the partner was great and stuck around to have a chat with me just about general advice and the firm!

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Jessica Booker and Daniel Boden

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Don't try to impress in a client call - this is about the client not you.

Where you can impress is in any conversations with the law firm representatives after the event. Eg can you support then with further work related to the matter; can you demonstrate you understood what happened in the call (Daniel’s comments about taking clear notes will help with that).
Thanks for the advice! It was helpful to just listen in and thankfully I had the opportunity to chat to the partner afterwards!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Sorry I didn't see this on time but the comments above are great. Definitely worth asking if you could have made notes and then summarised this for the partner's use - this is something I frequently did as a trainee. Even if that's not an option, I'd make notes and ask the partner a couple of genuine questions that crop up if he is able to answer. It'll show you are enthusiastic and keen to learn.

Good initiative and best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! I managed to do the latter as it was quite an informal call with the client - learnt a lot!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Okay. How long do they take to get back usually? any idea ?? Isn't it on rolling basis ??
    Well you have to appreciate that they’ll have hundreds of applications to read. I can’t say for certain when you’ll hear but it won’t be instantaneous.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for the advice! It was helpful to just listen in and thankfully I had the opportunity to chat to the partner afterwards!

Glad it went well - sometimes with these things you just have to be like a sponge and absorb everything that is going on/being said, rather than trying to impress right there at that time. You are typically in quite a passive role and so it is all about how you can either prep for the event itself or follow up afterwards. I didn't want to panic you with prep where it was happening so soon after your post, but the advice from Daniel and Jaysen is spot on for the next time you are in this situation.

• 🤝
    Reactions: LeilaScott, Jaysen and OB

MLA

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 25, 2020
    I could use some guidance on how to approach answering Simmons & Simmons's question "Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)". I feel it's too little space to talk about all the things that they ask in this question. There are a lot of things that I could talk about but I get sidetracked and miss out on hitting the right things to say. Would you consider structuring this answer in bullet points?

Some insight into how to structure this would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    For the Travers VS Application, do we need to talk about 'why us' in the cover letter if there is a separate question asking for us to "Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.*?

Yes, absolutely. The other question is to show you are a well-rounded individual, not to demonstrate transferable skills and suitability for that firm.

I always weave the 'Why You' bit throughout and link it with examples to the points you raise about 'Why Commercial Law' and 'Why the Firm'. So draw on your experiences to highlight your skills/attributes that make you suitable for a career in commercial law and at that firm.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I could use some guidance on how to approach answering Simmons & Simmons's question "Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)". I feel it's too little space to talk about all the things that they ask in this question. There are a lot of things that I could talk about, but I get sidetracked and miss out on hitting the right things to say. Would you consider structuring this answer in bullet points?

Thanks!

Ask the firm whether they are ok with bullet points.

Pick the most relevant that demonstrate the key transferable skills they want to see and remember to show a range, highlighting that you are a well-rounded individual.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I could use some guidance on how to approach answering Simmons & Simmons's question "Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)". I feel it's too little space to talk about all the things that they ask in this question. There are a lot of things that I could talk about but I get sidetracked and miss out on hitting the right things to say. Would you consider structuring this answer in bullet points?

Thanks!

Ive not applied for S&S but every firm has this question and Grad Rec covered it at a few open days ive been to:

I usually structure these in a pretty simple way - if you've got loads of examples just pick say your top 5 that demonstrate your range. Best to have 5 really well reasoned things than list 20 things. If you've got 20 things, go for a combination that shows off the most variety and the most transferable or soft skills. This box is a really good place to put extracurriculars no matter what they are and show you're more than a study machine :D
    For example that might be a couple of things you did in uni like societies or volunteering, or perhaps any more commercial courses you've done that didnt really 'fit' anywhere elsewhere in the application form along with any sport/hobby achievements. So imagine if you took say an Open U course in company law voluntarily over lockdown, although you couldn't put that in university education (unless you went to OU) that's an example of a type of thing a firm would be interested to see in that box.
    Like Ricky said they're looking for transferable skills so it doesn't really matter what you've done as long as you can show the attributes they want, whether that's organisational/time management/communication/leadership etc. In every event Grad Rec has really emphasised they want to see elaboration: if you won a silver medal in water polo or something, although it's cool you did that, they want to see how it can apply to being a solicitor: did it give you discipline/work ethic/resilience, etc. Hope this helped :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: MLA, Lawbour and CF

Sudha

Standard Member
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hello, Anyone starting their GDL this January??? I haven't earned a TC . Most of my applications are under review. I wonder if one gets a TC whilst pursuing GDL, would the Law firms reimburse the GDL course fee that was already paid ???

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hello, Anyone starting their GDL this January??? I haven't earned a TC . Most of my applications are under review. I wonder if one gets a TC whilst pursuing GDL, would the Law firms reimburse the GDL course fee that was already paid ???

Some do and some don't. Will have to look at the FAQs on their website.

Reactions: OB

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Hey everyone, i received an email from Simmons & Simmons yesterday with an invite to 2 online tests, their VI and written test.
    It says i will receive another email with info about the VI and written test, I haven't received it yet. Is this normal?
    Thank you so much for the help

The exact wording of email - We will send a separate email shortly with additional instructions.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Holly, CF, CT and 2 others

lawgirl1234

Star Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    One of the questions in an app I'm currently doing is 'How would you advise a friend who wants to set up a business?' Would an appropriate structure/answer be to consider which structure best fits the needs of the business e.g. Partnership, LLP and which funding arrangements could be used? Or does it require a much more basic approach?

Any help would be great - thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.