Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was wondering if anyone could help me. Ive only seen on Linklaters website that you cannot apply for 2 vacation schemes but I didn't realise this. I have applied for the spring vacation scheme after getting rejected for the winter one at the first stage. Is it worth withdrawing the spring vac scheme application and applying for a straight TC as the website says you can apply for a TC after a failed vac scheme app?

yes - I would withdraw your spring app and then reapply for a TC

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
does anyone have any insight into how much weight simmons & simmons put on the verbal/logical reasoning tests, video interview and written exercise e.g. say you had good tests and and weaker VI or weaker tests and strong VI? how is it weighted

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
Has anyone done a Dentons telephone interview? Looking for any tips and insight!

Completed it a few minutes ago for the Easter Vacation Scheme. It was standard why law/why dentons/impact of a specified commercial issue on Dentons/three competency questions followed by 'what motivated you?' for each of them. They said they'll get back within two weeks latest and that there's ACs in late Jan, which surprised me slightly because several of their online ads, such as lawcareers, said it would take place during the vacation scheme itself.

While I'm here, does anyone have tips for the Mayer Brown telephone interview?

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Completed it a few minutes ago for the Easter Vacation Scheme. It was standard why law/why dentons/impact of a specified commercial issue on Dentons/three competency questions followed by 'what motivated you?' for each of them. They said they'll get back within two weeks latest and that there's ACs in late Jan, which surprised me slightly because several of their online ads, such as lawcareers, said it would take place during the vacation scheme itself.

From my notes taken from last December's Open Day, it is a strengths-based telephone interview.

Can I ask, when did you complete the test and get the telephone interview invite?

Reactions: OH

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
From my notes taken from last December's Open Day, it is a strengths-based telephone interview.

Can I ask, when did you complete the test and get the telephone interview invite?

Applied to Mayer on 10th November, tests invited and completed on 11th November (scored "above average" in everything with attention to detail/resilience/self-awareness as top 3 skills), telephone invite this morning.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
What should I discuss for "What are your reasons for applying for the Summer Scheme?". Should I discuss why I am applying to the firm?

Is this for RPC? If so, I emailed grad rec and they said, "It's essentially asking you why you would like to undertake a training contract at RPC. If you obtain a place on the summer scheme, its overall purpose is recruiting future trainees. These reasons might include the practice areas, excellent training, small trainee intake etc."

• ℹ️
Reactions: 1 person

AW_08

Valued Member
Dec 20, 2019
Applied to Mayer on 10th November, tests invited and completed on 11th November (scored "above average" in everything with attention to detail/resilience/self-awareness as top 3 skills), telephone invite this morning.
How did your interview go? What did they ask?

I've got mine tomorrow and it's my first ever interview - don't know what to expect!

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Yes!! Ok thanks. That is very helpful. For the other question, "why commercial law?", did you link it to RPC specifically? I have but in light of what you have said I may save it for that question

No problem!

Not really - I do mention the firm once when talking about how work experience at a high street firm led to me to conclude I want to work at a commercial, City firm, such as RPC, but I don't really think it's necessary

Reactions: Deleted member 7630

p9b

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 29, 2019

When you say impact of a specified commercial issue on Dentons, do you mean they picked a topic and asked about it or asked you to pick something and discuss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.