Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In a telephone interview where they ask ‘why law’ and ‘why the firm’, are we not meant to repeat what is in our application? Or just expand on it in a different light?

expand and develop your thinking further. If it sounds like you are just reading out your application, that’s a problem.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
If asked in an interview about a recent commercial news story that interested you/that you've been following, what should you include in your answer and how should it roughly be structured? Thanks!

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I know I said I was taking a break but lo and behold, Simmons & Simmons just sent me a VI and some online tests after passing the SJT! If anyone has any recommendations/tips, that would be super appreciated!
    Kim-Kardashian-Hiding-In-Bushes-Meme.jpg

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    Does anyone have advice on the Mishcon VI? Not on the specific questions, but whether they were competency or firm focused. Thanks!

I made a complete mess of my Mischon VI last week! There were 3 questions in total, 2 competency based and 1 relating to the firm specifically. You will have 45 seconds to consider the question and 90 seconds to answer. Best of luck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Flora2580

castrooo

Legendary Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Yours hasn’t then. Mine says ‘reviewed’ and then I got an E-Mail saying it had been received. Not too hopeful, the same happened to me in the 2018/19 cycle and I only got rejected at the end of February.
    I received the email stating that they received my VI right after I completed it. But nothing changed on the portal, so probably they have not reviewed it yet. Anyways, fingers are crossed we hear back soon with some positive news!

Reactions: Helpme12345

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Mayer brown rejection - was expected after I had an appalling test result. Oh well let’s just try keep a positive mindset and pray for some good news !

Sorry to hear about this, but I’m glad you’re taking a positive mindset. I’ve been trying to do the same with my rejections :(
    May I ask when you you sat the MB test? I’m still waiting for them to get back to me

Reactions: Legally brown

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If asked in an interview about a recent commercial news story that interested you/that you've been following, what should you include in your answer and how should it roughly be structured? Thanks!

1) why it interests you
    2) summary 2-4 sentences explaining the story

Wait for your interviewer to probe further

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lawyer101, AH97 and OB

LegalG

Jan 4, 2021
    Has anyone completed the application for Browne Jacobson? I am so baffled at one of the questions and how answer it!

'Our National Powerhouse strategy is made up using three separate pillars: 1) Being at the forefront of societies biggest issues, 2) Our personality, approach & values and 3) Making Connections. The third pillar, Making Connections, will see our firm encourage all employees to build an active network of contacts. Internally that means working more closely and making wider referrals to colleagues, but externally it means helping make connections between clients (for example we introduced one client, a PPE equipment provider, with a healthcare client desperately in need of PPE supplies) or making connections within the communities we operate in. Please can you give an example where you used your own network or contacts to make an introduction to a 3rd party that lead to positive action (that would not have happened without you intervening) (max 250 words)?'

I have completed four applications now but I really don't think I have any experience I can use to directly answer this question? Any help would be a life saver, thanks guys :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.