2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna W

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 20, 2020
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows whether Simmons & Simmons considers the application form along with the SJT when sending out VI + test invites. The question they had on their application form was quite a common one and since I'm still in the process of writing applications I just want to make sure I'm approaching the question correctly.

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
Has anyone completed the application for Browne Jacobson? I am so baffled at one of the questions and how answer it!

'Our National Powerhouse strategy is made up using three separate pillars: 1) Being at the forefront of societies biggest issues, 2) Our personality, approach & values and 3) Making Connections. The third pillar, Making Connections, will see our firm encourage all employees to build an active network of contacts. Internally that means working more closely and making wider referrals to colleagues, but externally it means helping make connections between clients (for example we introduced one client, a PPE equipment provider, with a healthcare client desperately in need of PPE supplies) or making connections within the communities we operate in. Please can you give an example where you used your own network or contacts to make an introduction to a 3rd party that lead to positive action (that would not have happened without you intervening) (max 250 words)?'

I have completed four applications now but I really don't think I have any experience I can use to directly answer this question? Any help would be a life saver, thanks guys :)

Questions such as these just encourage fabricating examples like what even is this haha

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows whether Simmons & Simmons considers the application form along with the SJT when sending out VI + test invites. The question they had on their application form was quite a common one and since I'm still in the process of writing applications I just want to make sure I'm approaching the question correctly.

Yes, I’m pretty sure they review the two together :) As they say they cannot review the application without a completed SJT response. Hope that helps!

• 🤝
Reactions: Anna W

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    I'm just prepping for an interview and wondering what you should say to this question: Why do you want to be a solicitor and not a barrister? Little unsure as to exactly what to say.

From my understanding Barristers are often self-employed, meaning as a solicitor you have more financial job security. I think this is a particularly important career consideration especially given the effects of the current pandemic. In addition to this, consider the different types of work each takes on. I have the understanding that Solicitors can now have the option to train as 'solicitor advocates' meaning they have rights of audience, similar to Barristers. Moreover, Barristers are often instructed as External Counsel to law firms, as opposed to direct solicitors.

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect! But some ideas to think about.

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
    I'm just prepping for an interview and wondering what you should say to this question: Why do you want to be a solicitor and not a barrister? Little unsure as to exactly what to say.

Congratz on the interview!

I would normally start off by saying I considered working as a Barrister for x y z e.g. speaking in court would be exciting but preferred to become a solicitor to build client relationships (working on matters from the beginning to the end and responsible for day to day client needs), being part of a firm and the business development side of things later on in your career and that I did not want to be restricted to litigious as opposed to transactional work early on in my career.

Those are just a couple of suggestions that could be built upon but I am sure others have interesting insights they could help you with :)

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019

Think a good answer to this is one that comes from experience (although it is hard enough to get that in this legal route, let alone one you don't actually want to work in!). Something that has always deterred me from being a barrister is that I have experience in customer/client facing roles and so wanted a career where I can build and sustain client relationships throughout the whole deal/project, compared to a barrister who is just required as needed and so dips in and out of the relationship.

Reactions: Dheepa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It’s difficult to guide you on this, but think about the differences in a solicitor and barristers role, responsibilities, workload, environment and employment structure, and focus on what a career as a solicitor can give you that is aligned to your personal preferences that a career as a barrister will not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.