2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    I’m really worried about MdR. Seems like people have got a lot of VIs but I applied mid December and haven’t heard anything :(

I applied in early November and still haven't heard back!! Just awaiting the rejection now I guess...

I applied mid-Oct and still haven't heard! I did the VI last cycle, quite worried too that I haven't heard back

• 🤝
    Reactions: SF1234

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hey guys - I completed my Bakers VI on the 21st of December. The deadline was on the 23rd at 00.00 and its showing as completed at 10am on the 23rd on the portal. This would be after the deadline. Should I contact grad rec and check that this is a glitch they recognise?
    Could this potentially be when it’s been reviewed?

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Does anyone have advice on how to structure the following question?

3. Taking into account the firms core values and drawing on any examples you have from your experiences, would you feel confident enough to challenge your colleagues if they were carrying out a process incorrectly?

:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have advice on how to structure the following question?

3. Taking into account the firms core values and drawing on any examples you have from your experiences, would you feel confident enough to challenge your colleagues if they were carrying out a process incorrectly?

:)

Personally I would do it in the reverse order of what the question suggests.

Explain how I would deal with the situation.

Then explain the core values needed to deal with that situation.

Then explain where or how I have developed those values/approaches in the past.

There won’t be one way to structure the answer though. It really depends on you as ultimately that influence how you would approach the situation and the evidence you would have

Reactions: Dheepa and NikkiT

VivianeS

Dec 25, 2020
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” (Ronald Reagan, 1987). In a Covid world, can governments adequately protect public health, stimulate the economy and preserve personal freedom all at the same time? (Milbank)

How would you approach the question? Would you include a legal analysis? Take a stance or remain neutral?

@Jessica Booker

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” (Ronald Reagan, 1987). In a Covid world, can governments adequately protect public health, stimulate the economy and preserve personal freedom all at the same time? (Milbank)

How would you approach the question? Would you include a legal analysis? Take a stance or remain neutral?

@Jessica Booker
    That’s a whole dissertation title

castrooo

Legendary Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    I have my first ever telephone interview on Friday and wondered if it is okay to address the same points re 'why the firm' 'why me' that I used in my written application? Or would you recommend coming up with completely different ones? Thank you all :)

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I have my first ever telephone interview on Friday and wondered if it is okay to address the same points re 'why the firm' 'why me' that I used in my written application? Or would you recommend coming up with completely different ones? Thank you all :)

Your motivations shouldn’t really change from application to interview. You may wish to elaborate on them on more though! You may include other examples/experiences that have motivated you

• 🤝
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone and castrooo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

@Jessica Booker

I would try to take a stance - I think it might be a bit bland/predictable if you didn’t.

I don’t think this actually need legal “analysis” as such (unless the firm only recruits law students) but it could obviously support your analysis to think about the legal implications (if that makes sense).

Reactions: al2020
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.