2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizM

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Guys - an important reminder that for anyone submitting to Freshfields, there is a template document you need to download when you are in the application portal which you copy and paste your personal statement into before uploading. Good luck to everyone submitting!

I cannot believe I missed this. I only submitted yesterday so just now I quickly changed it in the application portal as it still allows changes. Although, the portal still says 'updated on 6th Jan' - not today's date! Was I wise to change it or should I have just left it? I am definitely overthinking this!

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I cannot believe I missed this. I only submitted yesterday so just now I quickly changed it in the application portal as it still allows changes. Although, the portal still says 'updated on 6th Jan' - not today's date! Was I wise to change it or should I have just left it? I am definitely overthinking this!
    I have edited things on Freshfields a couple times due to a job update over Christmas and a formatting error on the personal statement I sent. Becasue its non-rolling, I assume editing it is fine and if they didn't want you to, they wouldn't let you.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JoNo and MizM

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Does anyone have any guidance on what to do next year in case you don't secure a VS or TC? I just got a job offer for a grad role in another company and I am not taking it yet as I am not sure what to do regarding TC and VC applications.
    @Alice G @Jacob Miller or any other trainees, can you offer some insight?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I saw there was a thread somewhere with a list of various potential interview questions but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have it bookmarked that they could share with me? :)

Thanks in advance x

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi everyone- I was wondering if anyone has advice on dealing with rejection?
    Someone told me that each cycle of applications has THE rejection (the most demoralising one), and I received THE rejection from my dream firm today:( I'm a bit nervous because this is the application I felt most confident about, and now I'm wondering if the rest of my applications are any good. As an international student, I'm also a bit worried that if I'm ultimately unsuccessful this cycle I will have to return to my home country (which is having a bit of a political crisis atm). I've only done 10-11 apps this cycle, but I have put quite a lot of energy into researching individual firms and tailoring my answers. Before today, I felt really optimistic about my chances.
    I know it's a bit cliche, but I would really love any tips on dealing with rejection in a positive way! I would also love to know how many applications are standard each cycle- should I try to apply to more firms to maximize my chances of getting an interview?
    (Also, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone else who has shared here about being rejected in the past- it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one getting the dreaded "we regret to inform you" email)

Sorry, I usually reply to messages like this but must have misread it.

3 main things you need to hold in your head:
    • Rejections from firms are not personal - do NOT doubt yourself
    • You have literally years of your life ahead of you to re-apply. A friend of mine reapplied to A&O 3 times. 3rd time lucky!
    • Rejections = redirections. Its like taking a turn off a motorway, and taking a different route - is that route wrong? Hell no! Enjoy it and ride it.
    I can assure you, everyone on this forum will have received a rejection which they really didn't want to have. We have all felt the life drain from our faces when an email is started with "We regret to inform you...". Some people will be more private about their rejections as they don't want to disclose them, which is completely fine. Everyone processes rejections differently!

Here are some weird tips I suggest. If this rejection has upset you/distressed you - TAKE A BREAK! You cannot pour from an empty cup - look after yourself first and then keep going. So here are some ideas:
    • Watch a silly sitcom - it'll take your mind off careers. I suggest something like HIMYM, Friends, or maybe something like Grey's
    • Surround yourself with friends - albeit virtually.
    • Put some headphones on and blast some empowering music - give yourself a big confidence boost.
    Picking yourself up after this will make you a more resilient person - and eventually an amazing lawyer!

Please feel free to message me if you are struggling :)

P.S. Humour is my favourite way to deal with difficulties, but you all know that anyway lol

6631c4fe1e8351c4f35c2ffa8d0fa1c5.jpg

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any guidance on what to do next year in case you don't secure a VS or TC? I just got a job offer for a grad role in another company and I am not taking it yet as I am not sure what to do regarding TC and VC applications.
    @Alice G @Jacob Miller or any other trainees, can you offer some insight?
    Hmm, tough question as it's highly personal to you, really! Also not a position I've exactly been in as I've been self-employed since starting Uni! Before I say anything else though, congrats on your other grad role!

IMO, you've got to be pragmatic here as well as take into account your long term plans. If I were in your shoes, I would probably take the job (although wait until closer to the deadline to accept incase any of your current apps do get back to you with good news) and then either try and book holiday around a VS or leave if you're offered a TC. If all your apps from this cycle have been rejections, you could then consider whether you wanted to apply for deferred TC's to let you see out a longer period in the grad role.
    I say this for a couple of reasons: firstly, at the end of the day, you need money to pay bills and eat! There would be little to be gained from being idealistic and then realising you can't actually afford to make your rent/ mortgage payments. In addition to hat, I think it's important to show pragmatism in the process of applying to law firms and making a decision like that would be something worth talking about. Secondly, getting a grad role in any area in this job market is a massive achievement and just because it's not in law doesn't devalue this! What's more, you may actually end up loving it and realising that it's far more up your street than law ever would have been.

With all that said, that is only how I personally would think about things. It's a massively personal situation as it also depends a lot on your circumstances (say, for example, you're in the position of having family support so taking the job isn't essential from a financial perspective, then you'd be daft not to consider that too- similarly, if you're not, and the money is essential, then I tend to think that would be at the forefront of the decision and then you'd need to work future apps etc around that).

Very best of luck with your decision though, it's a tough one and I really don't envy you having to balance it up.

Reactions: Celestie

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey guys, can anyone point me in the direction of any resources to help prepare for a written exercise please? Alternatively, has anyone got any tips for written exercises? I have one coming up this month for the number 1 firm on my list and I have never done one before.
    Hi Sekani,

It depends a lot on the firm as different firms might have totally different written exercises. Are you able to share what firm it is incase myself or any other members are able to guide you better?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    Hi Sekani,

It depends a lot on the firm as different firms might have totally different written exercises. Are you able to share what firm it is incase myself or any other members are able to guide you better?

Hi Jacob,

It is Willkie Farr, but as this is their first-ever recruitment cycle, I doubt anyone will have any insight into the firm specifically.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Jacob,

It is Willkie Farr, but as this is their first-ever recruitment cycle, I doubt anyone will have any insight into the firm specifically.
    Oh amazing- I was reading about this firm recently. Very cool to be one of their first applicants! Does obviously make it harder in many ways, though.

In my general experience, written exercises tend to based around a due diligence exercise- by my memory, WF do quite a lot of M&A/ Private Equity work so I don't think it's an unreasonable presumption to make that it might be based on a mock deal. Again, in my experience, the scenario is usually that you're acting for the potential buyer and need to conduct DD about the target company.

Typically, in those scenarios, the candidate will be presented with an infopack which will outline the facts of the potential deal at hand and contain a number of other documents that they must also analyse and write about. In the context of the sort of circumstances I've outlined above, this might include excerpts from one of the target's key contracts, newspaper articles hinting at litigation surrounding the target firm, information about the firm's key patents, key people, lease contracts for real estate, information about its customers and its suppliers etc. The key is to analyse each point in respect of how it might impact on your client's stakeholders should the deal progress. You might also want to think about whether there are particular clear risks or opportunities surrounding the deal, and also how your client's negotiating standpoint might be relatively improved or weakened by any of the information that comes to light therein.

The firm will specify the format in which they would like the information to be presented (e.g., an email to a partner is quite common if you're then to go into a case study interview, or a draft of a letter to a client if this is not the case). It will obviously be timed, so I would always advise having a clock or watch that keeps good time nearby so you know exactly where you're up to.

In terms of specific resources on written exercises, I'm unsure if we currently have anything on this that maybe predates me being here but @Jaysen/ @Alice G might be able to advise as they've been here a lot longer!

Hope this is of some help to you, and very very best of luck!

Reactions: M777

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    With the Squire Patton Boggs cover letter, are they looking for a personal approach (e.g why me) rather than talking about why you are attracted to the firm?
    I found this useful:
    https://www.squirepattonboggs.com/-/media/files/careers/training-contract-application-guide.pdf
    I think you want to try and sell yourself first and foremost, however link these key skills you can show into why that would suit SPB particularly. You want to be able to show them that you've researched into their firm, and aren't just sending a generic personal statement to them! Hope that helps :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Is commercial acumen/lateral thinking considered an ‘attribute’? And if is, can I talk about how I have demonstrated this with reference to my work experience.
    I would say so, yes. Certainly, I always included these as personal attributes and used work experience etc to highlight them :)

Reactions: M1999
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.