Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello! Looking for advice re: the following question

What key attributes do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer?

More specifically, am I just supposed to list them or should I also provide some evidence that I have those skills?

I'd recommend identifying two or three skills that you think are important for the role of a trainee (alternatively have a look at the firm's grad rec website and see what skills they look for in trainees) and then using the STAR method to provide examples of when you've demonstrated these skills. I'd then tie it back into exactly why you think the skill would be useful for the role.

The key thing is to be as specific as possible about your understanding of the day to day role of a commercial lawyer. For example, organisational skills are important because you're often going to be helping to coordinate transactions/documents across different teams and offices. I think taking the extra step like this to show that you understand exactly how these skills will be useful for the role will really help your answer stand out.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hi Ola,

What's pretty interesting about this question is that you have the scope to mention both industries/sectors you're interested in and any practice areas. I tend to think of sectors as areas that clients operate in (example: retail, energy, private equity etc) and departments as areas that the law firm provides legal services in (example: corporate, banking, disputes, real estate etc.)

I wouldn't split my answer into the two parts that you have mentioned just because I agree that there would be significant overlap and that simply focusing on clients/deals without substantiating your interest in them throughout runs the risk of simply regurgitating information already out there on the firm. Personally I would pick one sector and one practice area and then expand on why they interest me by tying it to any tangible experiences I have in those areas (for example through work experience, any modules I've done at universities, or any workshops or case studies I've attended with other firms).

I hope that gives you some ideas! :)

I think this question also gives you the scope to show good commercial awareness and your understanding of the role that is specific to that practice area/sector.

Reactions: OB and Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm finishing my application to White & Case (a little behind- I know!) and they ask "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)". Since they don't specify bullet-points, is it ok to write out in full the events that I have attended? (Eg. "In 2019, I was invited to attend open days at X and Y firms.")

I would write this out in full. At an Open Day, GR mentioned that they use this question to see if you've done your research into the career etc, so I really went into detail about some of the things I had learnt from attending various events.

• 🏆
    • ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaR, JoNo, jds555 and 1 other person

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    HI, Holly. Do you by chance still remember how soon you got the VI invite after completing the WG test? Thanks.

Definitely couldn’t remember :D so I checked my emails. They sent me the VI about 3-4 days after I submitted the Watson Glazer.

Note it may be completely different this year though. Best of luck! :)

Reactions: A L

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi Ola,

What's pretty interesting about this question is that you have the scope to mention both industries/sectors you're interested in and any practice areas. I tend to think of sectors as areas that clients operate in (example: retail, energy, private equity etc) and departments as areas that the law firm provides legal services in (example: corporate, banking, disputes, real estate etc.)

I wouldn't split my answer into the two parts that you have mentioned just because I agree that there would be significant overlap and that simply focusing on clients/deals without substantiating your interest in them throughout runs the risk of simply regurgitating information already out there on the firm. Personally I would pick one sector and one practice area and then expand on why they interest me by tying it to any tangible experiences I have in those areas (for example through work experience, any modules I've done at universities, or any workshops or case studies I've attended with other firms).

I hope that gives you some ideas! :)
    Hi - thanks for your advice! The word count for this question is 500, would you still only talk about one sector and one practice area?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys! I was just wondering whether my understanding of this question is correct.
    'What will drive you to succeed at TW?'
    Is this almost a why the firm question? Would I link why I want to work at/what draws me to the firm with how this would keep me motivated? Thanks in advance :)

I think the focus of your answer should be you and not the firm. What will drive you to stay motivated when the job gets demanding? You could use any examples from your past experiences.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi - thanks for your advice! The word count for this question is 500, would you still only talk about one sector and one practice area?

Oh! Thanks for letting me know :) I'd still probably only mention about three max because again I think you'd really need to go into detail about why those things interest you.

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    In a cover letter or other application answer, what is the correct way to talk about a firm.

a) referring to them in the third person. So saying for example Linklaters has exciting work and their ability

b) referring to them in the second person. For example, linklaters has exciting work and your ability

I see a more commonly on most applications and always thought this was the right way. But I was watching a shearman webinar and they said option a Is a language technique that isn’t correct? Would love some insight

Hi @M1999

Might be best if I chip in here to explain. The point I make is about consistency. I often see candidates refer to the firm in the singular in one sentence and then in the plural in the next sentence.

It's easily done, but best to be consistent.

I hope that explains.

Paul

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    I think the focus of your answer should be you and not the firm. What will drive you to stay motivated when the job gets demanding? You could use any examples from your past experiences.
    I spoke to my careers service about this question and they said to approach it similar to 'why this firm?' and 'why me?' questions. But the wording of the question is vague so of course it is open to interpretation!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dheepa and collie_121

lawgeek_301

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 1, 2020
    Hey everyone, for the Ropes & Gray application, I noticed that there is no work experience section and also no question regarding skills/ extra-curriculars/ interests etc., there is just one question asking 'What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray?'. However, on their website, they say that in your app form 'you should make the most of your experiences, highlighting what you have gained from them and how this might apply to the skills required for a career at Ropes & Gray'. I'm pretty confused as I don't think that question allows you to talk about yourself (except maybe very briefly). Does anyone have any insight into this?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Did people receive a post report back from Taylor Wessing Arctic Shores? I did mine around 30 minutes ago and still haven’t received mine!

Sam55

Esteemed Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Hey everyone, for the Ropes & Gray application, I noticed that there is no work experience section and also no question regarding skills/ extra-curriculars/ interests etc., there is just one question asking 'What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray?'. However, on their website, they say that in your app form 'you should make the most of your experiences, highlighting what you have gained from them and how this might apply to the skills required for a career at Ropes & Gray'. I'm pretty confused as I don't think that question allows you to talk about yourself (except maybe very briefly). Does anyone have any insight into this?

I think that they probably just haven't updated their website- from going to a talk with R&G in November they mentioned that they used to have fairly standard questions on their app (why law, extracurriculars etc) but this year they changed it to just the question you mentioned.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi @M1999

Might be best if I chip in here to explain. The point I make is about consistency. I often see candidates refer to the firm in the singular in one sentence and then in the plural in the next sentence.

It's easily done, but best to be consistent.

I hope that explains.

Paul
    Thank you Paul! I realised I interpreted it wrongly, thanks again for clearing it up :)

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    Hey guys - I am not quite sure whether I should apply for a direct TC at Macfarlanes or their spring vac scheme. I do have some legal work experience and have interacted with the firm as various events. I am also about to start the GDL but the deadline for the spring vac scheme is 31st Jan and TC deadline is June 31st, so I'm not quite sure which option to go for. Would appreciate any help!:)

Reactions: thirdtimelucky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.