2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyV

Standard Member
Jan 9, 2021
Congratulations! My understanding is every firm sets a different benchmark, and they don’t tend to disclose what that is. I believe someone above sent something about a 65% benchmark for one firm but I would just aim to get as high as you can! When did you sent your application and hear back? I haven’t heard from them yet
Thanks :) I sent mine around the end of December so it took about a week.

Reactions: collie_121

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Not necessarily. The word count is clue enough. I think that just putting a few attributes and then talking about them impersonally is incorrect. I don't think you would go off topic by providing examples. By providing examples that show you have the attributes you believe are necessary to be a good lawyer, you are effectively explaining to the firm that you yourself have what is needed to be a good lawyer. I am pretty sure I have answered this question before. What firm is this for?
    Thanks a lot! It’s for Covington :)

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    250 words!
    Yeah, I 100% agree that providing detail is normally the more sensible option - but I wouldn’t want to go “off topic”, if they wanted examples they’d have said so wouldn’t they? :(
    I agree tbh. I mean I would do 2-3 attributes and say why they would might make a good commercial lawyer. Going into enough detail about these probably will take up the word count

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    I'm finishing my application to White & Case (a little behind- I know!) and they ask "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)". Since they don't specify bullet-points, is it ok to write out in full the events that I have attended? (Eg. "In 2019, I was invited to attend open days at X and Y firms.")

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I'm finishing my application to White & Case (a little behind- I know!) and they ask "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)". Since they don't specify bullet-points, is it ok to write out in full the events that I have attended? (Eg. "In 2019, I was invited to attend open days at X and Y firms.")
    I personally answered this in full considering the word-count. However, I tried to keep it very factual.

• 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaR

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes that is fine and quite common

• 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaR

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    How come? How was it different from previous ones?
    It was just that normally when I do these tests I am quite certain on the answer. Whereas for this one there were multiple questions where I honestly thought it could go either way. Time was also an issue. There were practise questions but you had to complete them within the time allocated for the actual test... So they were useless! But, you may find it quite easy. There was nothing completely out of the ordinary so my view that it was hard is definitely subjective. If you have yet to complete the test, do not worry!

Grace_winter9

Oct 21, 2020

At the open day they said that they receive most applications in the last two days of the deadline, so I would not worry about being behind because you are probably not!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and Bugsy Malone

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I think I might be overthinking this question way too much.
    I am sort of dividing the question into two parts:

First part is about what I find attractive about some of the firm's departments so maybe things like clients or deals?
    Second part is about what areas I want to experience

but then I feel like these are overlapping and the reasons can be the same. The confusing use of sectors/departments/areas also has me uncertain.

Hi Ola,

What's pretty interesting about this question is that you have the scope to mention both industries/sectors you're interested in and any practice areas. I tend to think of sectors as areas that clients operate in (example: retail, energy, private equity etc) and departments as areas that the law firm provides legal services in (example: corporate, banking, disputes, real estate etc.)

I wouldn't split my answer into the two parts that you have mentioned just because I agree that there would be significant overlap and that simply focusing on clients/deals without substantiating your interest in them throughout runs the risk of simply regurgitating information already out there on the firm. Personally I would pick one sector and one practice area and then expand on why they interest me by tying it to any tangible experiences I have in those areas (for example through work experience, any modules I've done at universities, or any workshops or case studies I've attended with other firms).

I hope that gives you some ideas! :)

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: jds555 and Bugsy Malone
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.