2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone else been ghosted by Stephenson Harwood for their Spring Vac? Applied in November and heard nothing since o_O

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Has anyone else been ghosted by Stephenson Harwood for their Spring Vac? Applied in November and heard nothing since o_O
    I was ghosted for the winter vac until the end of Dec. They emailed saying that I wasn't shortlisted for winter but enjoyed reading my app and would consider me for the Spring and Summer schemes. Haven't heard from them since/seen anyone else with AC invites so I wouldn't worry :)

• 🤝
    • Haha
    Reactions: Pinkprint123 and OB

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    I had a vac scheme interview the other day and keep thinking about the fact that the senior partner cracked a joke about wanting to get drunk with his mates at the pub lol. Is it a good thing that he was joking around or do you think he was trying to catch me out to see how I’d respond ? Probably just overthinking this haha

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    I had a vac scheme interview the other day and keep thinking about the fact that the senior partner cracked a joke about wanting to get drunk with his mates at the pub lol. Is it a good thing that he was joking around or do you think he was trying to catch me out to see how I’d respond ? Probably just overthinking this haha
    I think he was just making a joke and its probably a good sign of how comfortable he was with you - you probably built good rapport if jokes are flying! If you've made it to interview, the firm likes you and wants to hire you. You just need to show your skills during interview. So they generally won't do things to "trick" you as they want you to do well. If it was a trick then that just reflects poorly on the firm using such deceptive tactics, not you. But I really doubt it was a trick. From my experience, interviewers are pretty casual like that.

CorporateB3

Star Member
    Jul 1, 2020
    Just a quick question about Jones Day - do they ask every applicant for an academic reference?

I just got an email saying that they’ve contacted my academic reference and so I’m wondering if it is automatic.

Reactions: Holly

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Just a quick question about Jones Day - do they ask every applicant for an academic reference?

I just got an email saying that they’ve contacted my academic reference and so I’m wondering if it is automatic.
    They rejected my application a day after I sent it in and never contacted my reference, so no, it isn't automatic!

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Edward, M1999, LegalLordLox and 3 others

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    He was probably trying to see if you are personable/fit in with the culture of the firm. If you didn’t laugh or just stood there with a blank face I reckon that’s he only time it might be a bad sign! Lawyers are humans too

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019

I haven't been contacted yet re my reference so I assume not automatic?

Reactions: NikkiT
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.