2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Can anyone provide me with any advice/preparation tips for a video interview? I have done 2 and I haven't been taken forward after either (I thought the second one actually went well!)

I would be so grateful!!! :)

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
Random bit of advice I thought I'd share is, when you're applying for virtual vac schemes. Find out how they're run. If they are run by forage/inside sherpa the actual work experience side of things will be useless. You can get similar things without going through all of the process to get one. Sounds harsh but it's true, so I honestly wouldn't recommend doing one of these vac schemes if your main goal is to try out work that a trainee does.

Other law firms either give you a remote desktop or send you a work laptop so you can try out the work. These are a million times better than the other kind of virtual vac scheme.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Random bit of advice I thought I'd share is, when you're applying for virtual vac schemes. Find out how they're run. If they are run by forage/inside sherpa the actual work experience side of things will be useless. You can get similar things without going through all of the process to get one. Sounds harsh but it's true, so I honestly wouldn't recommend doing one of these vac schemes if your main goal is to try out work that a trainee does.

Other law firms either give you a remote desktop or send you a work laptop so you can try out the work. These are a million times better than the other kind of virtual vac scheme.

This is great advice thank you for sharing.

Is there any way to find out if a firm uses Forage for their vac scheme (other than contacting them)? I don’t think many share this detail on their website.

els124

Distinguished Member
Sep 26, 2020
Has anyone got a unique reason for applying to NRF?
I've gone through their website and profile on other sites but all the reasons I'm giving in my cover letter for applying are fairly generic: global firm, excellent training, etc. I can't seem to find anything that makes them really stand out.

Any recommendations for resources to find things that make firms stand out would also be appreciated :)

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    Hi! Ashurst’s application includes a cover letter up to 1000 words as well as additional application questions where I think there may be some crossover. My cover letters are usually 700 words, would this be ok? Or am I expected to fill the majority of the 1,000? Thanks.

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    Hi! Ashurst’s application includes a cover letter up to 1000 words as well as additional application questions where I think there may be some crossover. My cover letters are usually 700 words, would this be ok? Or am I expected to fill the majority of the 1,000? Thanks.

I'd say 700 sounds fine. After all, they like you to be concise, and if you've said everything you want to say, there's no point waffling.

However, maybe go over your cover letter again and make sure you've said enough about the three key sections of any cover letter: why commercial law, why the firm, and why they should pick you. If you're a non-law student, it's best to include a story/some kind of background information for why you want to do law. And for the why you section, make sure you've included examples of your qualities and skills, not just listed them.

If you've covered all of that, I don't think it will count against you that you haven't used the full 1,000 words. In fact, if you've covered it all in 700, I'd say you've done really well to keep it concise :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: manifestingaTC

moesha12

Jan 3, 2021
    not necessarily! I'm sure they will take a more holistic approach. don't lose hope over something this minor. In one of my applications to a random job i applied to when i was like 17 I wrote 'Kind regards' at the end of the letter hahaha so you're fine!
    I'm slightly confused, are you not supposed to sign off letters with 'Kind regards'?

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Has anyone applied to Farrer & Co?
    What's the difference between the cover letter and then answering the other application questions?
    I spoke with them at a law fair and they said the point of the cover letter is to find out about you. So why law, (briefly) why Farrers, and then focus on why you.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Do you know of any firms on the top of your head that use Forage? Just out of curiosity :)

• Haha
    Reactions: Lauren2

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    @Jacob Miller - I am wondering if you would please provide some last-minute info on Travers Smith :)

Are there any USPs you think are important to mention in an application? Additionally, are there any particular skills you would advise to showcase?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jacob Miller - I am wondering if you would please provide some last-minute info on Travers Smith :)

Are there any USPs you think are important to mention in an application? Additionally, are there any particular skills you would advise to showcase?
    Hi Nikki,

I think Travers' strengths are really in Private Equity and Dispute Resolution, as well as a rapidly-growing commercial IP and Technology department.

In terms of skills, I would just say the core skills you would need to be expected to show are the key ones with a real emphasis on teamwork and collegiality.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.