2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyray

Jan 3, 2021
Hey! For RPC's question - - Identify a current commercial issue which is relevant to RPC - - would a 'trend' (e.g rise of big data with reference to a specific industry that RPC focus on) be considered not current enough?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Another question... for the work experience sections, is the 'position' capitalised first letters? So for example, Sales Assistant, or Sales assistant?

If in a heading, then capitalised - Sales Assistant. If in a sentence like "I was a sales assistant", then not.

Reactions: cmaj

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey! For RPC's question - - Identify a current commercial issue which is relevant to RPC - - would a 'trend' (e.g rise of big data with reference to a specific industry that RPC focus on) be considered not current enough?
    That's definitely something that I would include if I were approaching this question; if you're in doubt, though, consider looking for alternative answers and then choosing your favourite from the different options.

Reactions: cmaj

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Out of curiosity, what about their application would make you want to look at a candidate's Linkedin profile?

I will just say, I helped with recruitment in my company and, although we do not do legal work, I can probably give a little bit of insight in response to this. When you're looking through 1000+ CVs/applications, you often get a sense of both (1) when a candidate is elaborating, and (2) where information is missing. LinkedIn just helps to verify your suspicions and give a little bit further insight into a candidate. For example, a candidate had once listed particularly relevant experience on their CV but had worded it in a confusing way, seemingly to fit it into the two-page format. LinkedIn gave us the ability to learn a bit more about this experience, because they'd written a lot more about it here, and to double-check that our assessment of its relevance was correct. On another occasion, one candidate had not listed the place they went to university on their CV! It's important to also remember that those involved in recruitment are human and, in the way that you'd casually stalk someone on Facebook to see what they were like, they might just want to see what you're like outside of an application form :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Zoo

AspiringSolicitor

Star Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    Don't you love it when you submit a wasted application... :(
    Got someone to check my application and they changed part of it from 'I am applying to Travers Smith's Summer Vacation Scheme' to 'I am applying to the Travers Smith's Summer Vacation Scheme'... which just sounds very wrong/ weird.
    Only realised they made this change after I submitted - am I right in thinking this will be an immediate no when I've spoken about attention to detail later in the cover letter?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jacob Miller

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Got someone to check my application and they changed part of it from 'I am applying to Travers Smith's Summer Vacation Scheme' to 'I am applying to the Travers Smith's Summer Vacation Scheme'... which just sounds very wrong/ weird.
    Only realised they made this change after I submitted - am I right in thinking this will be an immediate no when I've spoken about attention to detail later in the cover letter?

I don’t think saying the sounds weird, I think it’s the ‘s that is the issue but honestly it’s very minute. Literally took me about a minute to see the difference. Please dont stress

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

not necessarily! I'm sure they will take a more holistic approach. don't lose hope over something this minor. In one of my applications to a random job i applied to when i was like 17 I wrote 'Kind regards' at the end of the letter hahaha so you're fine!

Reactions: collie_121

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Obviously I'm not an expert but I definitely don't think that would be an immediate no. That sentence will be such a minor part of your application. I must've made 4 mistakes in 4 different applications (and I'm talking really obvious like repeating a word or missing out words) and I got through to the next stage on all of them. Don't stress about it :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Not necessarily a straight no but it's not something that's likely to go in your favour. At least you'll never make the mistake of submitting an app without proof reading again! If you were questioned about it at a later stage, you would just be up front, explain the situation and say you made a mistake that you learned from.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I really don't think this will matter in the grand scheme of things, try not to stress yourself out over this :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It’s not an immediate no.

But no matter who gives you advice/guidance on your application, it’s always important to double check things yourself. They are equally human as you and can potentially make errors.

Reactions: Kola

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Since this is not unknown, what should I make sure to include in my LinkedIn? Or any advice on a LinkedIn profile in general for someone seeking a TC/VS?

Thank you
    I can't comment objectively on how good/ bad my profile is, but feel free to check mine out if you want a bit of inspo:

linkedin.com/in/jacobmiller99

Reactions: Dwight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reactions: Dwight

Lauren2

Valued Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    It took me about 30 seconds to realise the issue here... I recommend using tracked changes whenever someone reviews/ makes amendments to your app, then you can clearly see what they’ve changed and reject any amendments you disagree with!

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Has anyone applied to Farrer & Co?
    What's the difference between the cover letter and then answering the other application questions?

I haven't yet but I have written my plan. In the cover letter, I'm personally just focusing on why law and why me (as it's so short), and because there's a separate "why Farrer" question

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.