2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Why do law firms ask if you have applied to them previously? Is it a disadvantage if you reapply having been rejected or...?
    Always wondered about this too!?
    Depends on the firm:

Some firms, I think, quite like a candidate re-applying if they can show that they've grown and developed since the initial application. They may even check through your old application to compare it to the new one (hence why I always recommend starting a new app from scratch for re-applications). Some firms have a rule that, if you've previously been rejected after a particular stage (usually interview) that you aren't permitted to re-apply. I know this is the case with Travers Smith, for example.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Why do law firms ask if you have applied to them previously? Is it a disadvantage if you reapply having been rejected or...?

Because some people like to cheat the system and apply multiple times, and it helps to pick that up.

Because it helps pick up people who have applied to other roles within the firm and help work out if a TC is the right role for them.

Because a fair number of applicants will be people who applied previously, whether that is insight programmes, open days, vacation schemes or training contracts. It helps the recruiter pick up people who have come to the firm before.

Because some firms have a policy of not allowing you to reapply, or will only allow you to apply a set number of times or within a certain timeframe.

Because some firms will use it to help them judge how far your application has improved since your last application. If your application was unsuccessful last time, it helps them judge what has changed since your last application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Out of curiosity, what about their application would make you want to look at a candidate's Linkedin profile?

Just because you can. Sometimes you just get a sense that information is missing from an application and using LinkedIn can just help to verify information or get that information that is missing.

LinkedIn can often be a better source of information too.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: leolegal

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    For the question: Please include activities, interests and positions of responsibility, whether at school, university or otherwise. (Max 250 words)
    Can I link it to the firm (for example, opportunities for having trainee responsibility on their TC programme), or shall I just strictly focus on me? I have no room in the other questions :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you for the encouragement! If by chance you still remember, can I ask in what month you did the video interview and in what month you got invited to the AC?
    Did the video interview in early December and got invited to AC mid-to-late Jan I believe before doing the AC in early February

Reactions: A L

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    For the question: Please include activities, interests and positions of responsibility, whether at school, university or otherwise. (Max 250 words)
    Can I link it to the firm (for example, opportunities for having trainee responsibility on their TC programme), or shall I just strictly focus on me? I have no room in the other questions :)
    Great question! In such a small word count, I would personally just explore the example and skills gained, don't try to make specific links to the firm or life as a trainee here as, provided you show the transferability implicitly in how you write, they'll be able to join the dots.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.