2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Anyone know what's going on with Linklaters and when we should hear back from them?

I've seen some people report AC invites and others reporting rejections. Some ACs have already happened. Seems like they're rolling out responses in batches and processing as they go. No clear timeframe to hear back but I'd expect by the end of the month.

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
I wouldn't necessarily say so. They receive a lot of applications and it's not been two weeks yet. This may be wishful thinking but I'm trying to stay positive for at least another week or two.

have mentally assumed it's a pfo from kirkland if we haven't heard anything but tbf they're probably still going through apps

Reactions: Rob93

mia99

• Jan 5, 2021
    There are three questions and there aren’t any curveball questions, though you only get 15 seconds to think about your answer so I be wary of over-preparing!
    Thanks for your feedback! If you don't mind me asking were the questions competency-based, strength-based or on commercial awareness (or all)? Also how much time do you have to answer?

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
    I hope it's a good thing because I applied to Mishcon and saw they had viewed my profile!

It may indeed be a good thing as I have had that happen to me and then received an invitation from the firm shortly thereafter. However, I did question the need to view my LinkedIn when my application had a lot of detail already...

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    As there is no formatting, I would just go with an intro and sign off as the formalities of the letter.
    Sorry, just jumping on this thread, so when should we and shouldn't we include the full formalities of the cover letter (i.e. the firm's address, my address, and date)?

Do we not have to include those if it's just a text box asking for a cover letter?
    Do we have to include those if we're attaching a physical word / pdf document as part of our application?
    Is there any 3rd option I haven't thought of here?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry, just jumping on this thread, so when should we and shouldn't we include the full formalities of the cover letter (i.e. the firm's address, my address, and date)?

Do we not have to include those if it's just a text box asking for a cover letter?
    Do we have to include those if we're attaching a physical word / pdf document as part of our application?
    Is there any 3rd option I haven't thought of here?

I seem to be answering this question a lot lately.

There is no set rule. It will vary on a number of factors and it is always best to try and find out based on the firm you are applying to and what others have successfully done. But some factors to consider:

- format you have to submit your answer in. A free text box with no formatting would be very different to a uploaded document. If it is an uploaded document then generally I would always go with the full formalities unless the word count is very short. There is a third option - I have mentioned this before too. You can format some applications forms like you can format this forum
    Joe Bloggs
    Unknown address
    Some city
    Postcode​
    20/01/2021

Left, Right & Centre LLP
    Fancy Street
    London
    Postcode

Dear Graduate Recruitment team,

- length of the cover letter. Some firms give you a very short word limit, others tell you or shouldn't be more than a page long, others give no guidance at all.

- what the firm states in their website/makrstinf materials or when you apply. People often akip through teasing basic instructions when applying. Many firms provide exact details on this point. So make sure you read carefully as part of your research

- don’t get confused with things like personal statements. A personal statement is not a cover letter and a cover letter is not a personal statement.

Reactions: Jaysen and Holly

tla99

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 18, 2019
    Hey guys, Just a last minute doubt when submitting a cover letter: should we say 'I am applying for a 2021 Vac Scheme' or 'I am applying for the 2021 Vac Scheme'?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, Just a last minute doubt when submitting a cover letter: should we say 'I am applying for a 2021 Vac Scheme' or 'I am applying for the 2021 Vac Scheme'?

Technically either work as a vacation scheme can be seen as a singular entity or a named subject. I would probably go with “a” unless it said “the 2021 Vacation Scheme Programme”

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.