2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa0410

Feb 6, 2020
I also got the Mishcon case study! Would really appreciate any advice :)

Also, I just wanted to say that it can be disheartening to read that people are receiving ACs, but you literally never know what's around the corner. On Monday I was feeling so disheartened and negative about the whole process that I even shed a tear! It can be hard to keep believing you have what it takes, especially when so little feedback is given for apps and luck plays such a huge part... but it really does only take one firm to say yes! I'm super nervous for upcoming ACs so am going to try my best to keep that in mind myself - if it's not these ones, then it'll be the next. Reading responses on this forum has been so instrumental in keeping my spirits up, so thank you guys!
Hi! I did the case study last year. You don't need any legal knowledge AT ALL. It's very much an assessment of how commercially minded you are and whether you can pick up on potential commercial issues that businesses might face / have to think about. It might sound weird but I genuinely really enjoyed it. It wasn't at all what i would've expected from a case study interview. no FT articles or anything like that! really interesting and trendy (the only word i can think of to describe it). very 'mishcon' i thought. good luck!!!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi! I did the case study last year. You don't need any legal knowledge AT ALL. It's very much an assessment of how commercially minded you are and whether you can pick up on potential commercial issues that businesses might face / have to think about. It might sound weird but I genuinely really enjoyed it. It wasn't at all what i would've expected from a case study interview. no FT articles or anything like that! really interesting and trendy (the only word i can think of to describe it). very 'mishcon' i thought. good luck!!!
    This is exactly how I would describe it! Very fun and very Mishcon!

Reactions: Tan and Bugsy Malone

cogito ergo sum

Star Member
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Congratulations!! May I ask how did you find the behaviour-based assessment please? Any tips available - I found very little information about it online. Thank you!
    Thank you! I honestly don't know how I passed it. My report basically says I am self-centred, short sighted and willing to create conflict :(

I remember the Gradrec lady said at the Open Day that they are not looking for a specific type of candidate. Instead, they want a wide range of personalities. So my advice to you is to be yourself in the game. Good luck!

Reactions: Yuqi1226

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    I had an AC with Macfarlanes in the last couple weeks.

They stated at the AC they had 1500 applications and interview 25% of candidates. By my maths that's 375 interviewees for 55 places on a VS (14-15% chance), a bit beyond the 1/2 or 1/3 ratios that in my experience most other firms have going into an interview.

Can anyone confirm this or have I missed something?

Honestly I am not really someone to get too stuck into % of offers/interview as there's a lot more to it, but felt it was worth mentioning/clarifying – perhaps that is or has been the norm for a lot of firms now. I was under the impression that it was higher.

Thanks

Last edited:

cogito ergo sum

Star Member
  • Nov 2, 2018

They stated at the AC they had 1500 applications and interview 25% of candidates. By my maths that's 375 interviewees for 55 places on a VS (14-15% chance), much beyond the 1/2 or 1/3 ratios that in my experience most other firms have going into an interview.

Honestly I am not really someone to get too stuck into % of offers/interview as there's a lot more to it, but felt it was worth mentioning/clarifying – perhaps that is or has been the norm for a lot of firms now. I was under the impression that it was higher.

Thanks
    I think they do interview a lot people. I had an AC last cycle and I think only one was made offer (out of 15?).

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020

They stated at the AC they had 1500 applications and interview 25% of candidates. By my maths that's 375 interviewees for 55 places on a VS (14-15% chance), much beyond the 1/2 or 1/3 ratios that in my experience most other firms have going into an interview.

Thanks
    Wow wow wow - what good is calculating these percentages? I can see why you may want to do this, but isn't calculating and theorising going to be more damaging for your mental health? Look after yourself please :(

Reactions: bethbristol

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    Wow wow wow - what good is calculating these percentages? I can see why you may want to do this, but isn't calculating and theorising going to be more damaging for your mental health? Look after yourself please :(

Thank you for the concern. No honestly, of course as you mentioned there's a lot more than percentages to it!

It was more an observational point - of course in theory it depends on lot of other factors like how you fit in etc, and I am not worried at all about the numbers. If its meant to be it is, if not then there's another path – its all part of the journey :)

Reactions: collie_121

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    Thank you! I honestly don't know how I passed it. My report basically says I am self-centred, short sighted and willing to create conflict :(

I remember the Gradrec lady said at the Open Day that they are not looking for a specific type of candidate. Instead, they want a wide range of personalities. So my advice to you is to be yourself in the game. Good luck!
    Hi! many congrats on the AC! I have an arctic shores games assessment coming up and have done 2 before, with no luck in passing it. can I ask what score you got at the end of it? (if you remember !)

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Agreed - at the end of the day, if you are good enough they will want to give you a space, if you aren't good enough then they will simply interview more people. All you need to know is that there are 55 spaces and you could be one of them :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.