2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

awright11

Dec 6, 2020
Hey gang!

Had a refreshing break from TCLA as the struggle of the application process, rejection and pandemic vibes was abit overwhelming - but I’m back and kicking! How is everyone?!

I made 4 VS applications so far and don’t think I’m going to make any more applications this year. It’s my first cycle applying as a non-law grad career changer and have gone for firms I truly like so not going to apply to anymore just for the sake of it. As a bit of an update if you’re waiting to hear:

I submitted summer VS app to Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) 17th Jan - yet to hear back.

I submitted Taylor Wessing summer VS app on 7th Jan - invited to Game Assessment 12th Jan - completed 17th Jan: yet to hear anything more. Has anyone heard back post-game with AC invite? How many days from submitting game to hearing back if so?

I submitted Baker McKenzie summer VS app on 12th Dec - invited to Watson Glaser 22nd January - yet to complete. It’s my first WG - has anyone got any tips or threads on TCLA to help prepare for WG?

Applied for Mishcon Summer VS 23rd Dec - received a PFO rejection on 21st January. 🤢

that’s all from me!
Thanks for any answers x
There’s a series on youtube that goes thru each type of question and explains why they give each type of answer. I found it really useful to sit down with that and write out exactly what i think the videos were explaining (why yes/no/more info needed etc) and then go to a practice paper and sit there and add its explain to my sheet. Then I worked thru the Freshfields practice paper a few times, making note of my answer each time and try and figure out what I got wrong and why. My first practice test I got around 40% but the actual WG I took for Linklaters I got 85%

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
I also got the Mishcon case study! Would really appreciate any advice :)

Also, I just wanted to say that it can be disheartening to read that people are receiving ACs, but you literally never know what's around the corner. On Monday I was feeling so disheartened and negative about the whole process that I even shed a tear! It can be hard to keep believing you have what it takes, especially when so little feedback is given for apps and luck plays such a huge part... but it really does only take one firm to say yes! I'm super nervous for upcoming ACs so am going to try my best to keep that in mind myself - if it's not these ones, then it'll be the next. Reading responses on this forum has been so instrumental in keeping my spirits up, so thank you guys!

jd3447

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Still haven’t heard from mishcon post app and Dentons post WG (applied for both close to the deadline and Dentons extended my deadline for WG too because of my circumstances). Should I email recruitment to chase these or no?? I got open days for both firms so have been feeling quite hopeful and don’t want my late applications to let me down

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.