Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this @Jessica Booker, I really appreciate the insight.
Fo you have any suggestions on how to get around the extra-curriculars issue? I do work part-time and run my own business, so any extra time is in the gym or 🍷 😂 It’s just difficult to know what to mention/highlight. Is it about showing outside interest/being able to work as a team player?
That’s all a lot of positive evidence. I suspect you will be able to leverage your part time work and running a business to show a lot of the skills needed in a trainee.

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice for the dentons phone interview? this is my first cycle and first interview so would appreciate any advice :)
    Largely competency based, would recommend preparing basic competencies such as leadership, teamworking, organisational, etc. Also have multiple examples for a competency as you may use one example for another competency, this will show you have a range of experience and are well rounded. Also prepare for motivational questions, such as Why Dentons, Why Law, Why Commercial law, etc.

I prepared for it as it were a normal interview but would say I was over-prepared

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys!

I am new to the forum, I have just received an AC invite can anybody give any advice? its my first one! Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your AC! It's quite hard to give super specific advice without knowing the firm, but I would suggest starting with the 3 articles I've recently written on different parts of the AC process:

You might also find parts of my other article helpful (mainly in considering different practice areas etc as you're likely to be beyond the knowledge of the application process etc which is elsewhere in the article:

Hope these help some! Feel free to follow up with any other questions on the threads :)

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    I'm hoping for some advice about an AC presentation I have coming up. The firm has given a totally free reign on topic choice other than it should be of interest to me, and it "does not have to be a legal topic, however it must link to legal implications or the legal sector". I have four years' work experience in PR, so I'm wondering if doing my presentation about PR issues would be a good idea? It's an area that I know a lot about, but I'm really wary of pigeon holing myself too much and making it look like I don't have any other interests/anything else to offer the firm, other than my background in PR.
    I also previously worked in cyber security, so that's another option, and might be a bit more relevant and show more commercial awareness?
    I'd be really grateful for any advice!

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Hi - I applied for Allen & Overy's Dubai Vacation Scheme back in late November 2020 and got an email in early Jan about passing the SJT. I haven't heard anything since. Would it be a good idea to email the Middle East graduate recruitment team to check up on the status of the application? The application portal still says that my application is "under review".

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated - thanks a lot!
    I haven’t heard anything either

Teniola Adigun

Jan 8, 2021
    Anyone have any thoughts on how I can talk about Asos’s purchase of Topshop and boohoo purchase of Debenhams as a commercial story I’m interested in? Any impacts on the retail sector or interesting opinions? Just trying to form my own thoughts and thought would be helpful to discuss with others :)
    Hey,
    I'm looking at this too and I've kind of looked at this way:
    1) Changes in the law = Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020 (June 2020)
    2) Key stories = Asos acquiring Arcadia, Boohoo acquiring Debenhams, New Look Rent Restructuring (then maybe looking at how different companies have tried to cope because of covid, so Pret's coffee subscription thing)
    3) Impact on law firm practice areas = Increased pressure because of distressed M&A + insolvency litigation + different financing options?
    4) Commercial Impact = your personal opinion on whether you think this is good for the market can fit in here + remember that Boohoo isn't actually acquiring Debenhams' physical stores
    5) Long term impact = again, this would be a good place to put your opinion in regarding the future of the British High Street and legal work in that area

If you wanna chat about it pm cause I'm still thinking about it lmao :)

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Guys, does anyone know how to sort my issue with the application portal for Gibson? It only allows me to apply for a direct TC 2023 and not for the vac scheme? When I click "Yes" to the vac scheme and "no" on the rest of the options it turns red and does not allow me to proceed with my application?!

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Guys, does anyone know how to sort my issue with the application portal for Gibson? It only allows me to apply for a direct TC 2023 and not for the vac scheme? When I click "Yes" to the vac scheme and "no" on the rest of the options it turns red and does not allow me to proceed with my application?!
    You are to click yes for both vac scheme and TC if applying for the vac scheme😊

Reactions: Daniel Boden

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Congratulations!!! How did you find it, and if you have any tips on how to ace it, I would really appreciate it! I have mine coming up this week, so any help would be great! :)

Hello hello! Make sure you're confident in your why the firm, commercial answer and some standard STAR competencies but aside from that, a lot of the day you can't really prepare for as it's based on a given/fictional situation. Judge the information in front of you, stick to your guns and be yourself. They're a really lovely firm and very understanding so you'll be fab :)

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s the video interview first. Once that’s completed, then it’s the written exercise. But you have to click a button to continue to the written exercise. :)
    I see that's very helpful to know. Somehow I was under the impression that it's written assessment first then VI, glad that I asked here !!

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    I see that's very helpful to know. Somehow I was under the impression that it's written assessment first then VI, glad that I asked here !!
    Yeah someone quoted my reply earlier and said they had the written exercise first. I definitely had my VI first as I remember wanting to do the written first 😂 It might be different for everyone :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.