2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
I think the fact you run your own business is immensely impressive and should impress firms. I'd even go as far as saying that extracurricular activity is perhaps the focus because most students dont, as you do, run their own business. Extracurricular is usually a supplement for actual experience in time, team, and organisational management. Team player could be exemplified by any engagements you have with your business, whether that's clients, working with people from other companies etc. Also working part time is also pretty impressive, do you work in a team?
This is really great advice thanks so much! I run my own wedding cake business and I don’t actually work as part of a team as I work nights as a baker part-time. I’ll try and draw more from these experiences/big up the relevant skills! Thanks again :)
That’s all a lot of positive evidence. I suspect you will be able to leverage your part time work and running a business to show a lot of the skills needed in a trainee.
thanks Jessica :) I’ll try and show the relevant skills!
For what it's worth, I'm at a 'conventional' uni and don't have EC's coming out my ears (in fact, only like 1 in the entire time I've been at uni) - 99% of what I talk about comes from work history/ work experiences/ life experiences/ running my businesses etc
Thanks Jacob! I’m going to have another crack at it - getting those final couple of apps in 👍🏻

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    This is really great advice thanks so much! I run my own wedding cake business and I don’t actually work as part of a team as I work nights as a baker part-time. I’ll try and draw more from these experiences/big up the relevant skills! Thanks again :)

thanks Jessica :) I’ll try and show the relevant skills!

Thanks Jacob! I’m going to have another crack at it - getting those final couple of apps in 👍🏻
    Can I just say you must have so many great transferable skills that law firms will love just from hearing this!

frksch

Star Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    What's the etiquette in terms of accepting vac scheme offers? I'm waiting to hear back from some places so I haven't yet accepted an offer that I claimed in the interview was my first priority (it is kinda but I want to know if I get other offers) .... Do you think this reflects badly from a grad recruitment perspective or is it fair enough that I wait until the deadline to accept ?

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    What's the etiquette in terms of accepting vac scheme offers? I'm waiting to hear back from some places so I haven't yet accepted an offer that I claimed in the interview was my first priority (it is kinda but I want to know if I get other offers) .... Do you think this reflects badly from a grad recruitment perspective or is it fair enough that I wait until the deadline to accept ?
    The offers I was given gave me just a few days to accept it

frksch

Star Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    I looked into this because I thought "hackathon" meant some kind of hacking competition. 😂 It's not, it's "a competitive event to develop ideas in response to a particular challenge within a short timeframe (for example, 24 or 48 hours). The real benefit of the process is getting technology experts to discuss with users exactly what they want, drilling down into the heart of the problem before developing a solution in response to that. It’s amazing what can be achieved in the short timeframe by providing the right environment to focus on innovation" - https://placetech.net/analysis/mills-reeve-hackathons-and-automatons/
    hahaha i don't know if that's calmed my nerves that much ... hopefully it's just a clever way of saying a normal group exercise as opposed to actually being that tech focused

Reactions: Andrew M and Staples

MJ

Standard Member
    Jul 14, 2019
    Has anyone heard from:

Farrer & Co
    Penningtons
    Dentons (Direct TC)
    HFW
    Withers
    I submitted my application for the summer vacation scheme at Penningtons on 22 December 2020, received an invite to the virtual assessment centre on 12 January 2021, and completed the AC on 27 January. Grad recruitment said they'll get back to me before the end of February.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Kablahc, ZaraB and OB

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019

It's always lovely to hear from candidates straight away and shows how keen they are... but once you're on the scheme, no one remembers if you accept on the first or last day of the offer! That's just my opinion though :) When we've recruited in my non-law company, some of the best interns have been those that took their time considering the offer before accepting

WOW I mean DUH why are you not SHOUTING ABOUT THIS?! Amazing experience!!!!! it shows so much resilience and strength, the initiative to run a successful business, commercial awareness in terms of dealing with marketing, finance, strategy... use this to your advantage! This is far more relevant than any extracurriculars in my opinion and I wish I was entrepreneurial enough to start my own business! Maybe try to think about what your business may require from a law firm? What about if it was a franchise? How can you show that this work attracts you to becoming a commercial solicitor?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Its fine to wait until the deadline to accept.

Reactions: frksch

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Anyone ever recorded themselves practicing for video interview and then been horrified at the tragic picture?

Apparently, I can't even talk correctly or just talk without moving my head.

shocked do not want GIF

*me watching back my video recording, feeling sorry for grad recruitment when they have to watch the real thing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone ever recorded themselves practicing for video interview and then been horrified at the tragic picture?

Apparently, I can't even talk correctly or just talk without moving my head.

shocked do not want GIF

*me watching back my video recording, feeling sorry for grad recruitment when they have to watch the real thing.
    You will be your worst critic. It’s generally not even noticeable to grad rec while you are over analysing ever micro behaviour.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.