2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hz1997

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Not to sound like a broken record, but has anyone done Dechert vac scheme AC (either in this cycle or previous cycles) and remember how long they took to get back?
Just wondering, did you do a Dechert AC this cycle or previously? I completed the Dechert video interview for this cycle at the end of December but still haven’t had heard back about an AC.

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2020
PFO from akin Gump post-WG.

"we read your application with interest however this year has seen a particularly swift and competitive process and unfortunately, we are not able to offer any further interviews for our Summer Vacation Scheme."
Sorry to hear.
Assume this means that anyone else who hasn't heard back yet post-WG will receive the same email?

Reactions: CA98

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
What's the protocol for offers following AC? Do firms accept the ones they really like quickly and then leave rejections waiting until most / all of the ACs have been done?

So it depends on the firm!

Some firms will tell you in less than one week whether you have been accepted or not.

Some firms wait until all ACs are done before informing any candidate of the outcome.

Some firms will have “yes” candidates they will inform first whilst also having a list of “maybe” candidates they will get back to later, depending on whether their “yes” candidates accepted the offer or not!

So it’s a good practice to ask firms at the end of your AC when you’ll hear back and that will give you a better idea. Hope that helps :)

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Just wondering, did you do a Dechert AC this cycle or previously? I completed the Dechert video interview for this cycle at the end of December but still haven’t had heard back about an AC.
I did it for this cycle. Completed my VI at beginning of december so you'll probably hear back soon

Reactions: hz1997

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Just received a rejection from Bird & Bird after completing the VI on the 4th of January. This one is a hard rejection to accept as I really practiced and thought I had performed quite well. I'm very happy with how much more successful I have been during this application cycle (I have completed tests for 8 apps and VIs for 3 which for me is much better than last year) but I'm still finding it really stressful and disheartening to be going through the cycle as a graduate and I'm not really sure how else to improve my performance for future video interviews. Does anyone have any tips beyond the generic ones ie. practice recording yourself, lighting, blank background.....? Anything would be truly hugely appreciated!
I find practicing how you can mould a question if it isn't exactly what you've prepared for is really helpful. I did that with CMS and it paid off, because the competencies they were asking about were pretty specific. It also helps you to waffle less when you get to the VI.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    me rn trying to chill out before my partner/associate interview
    Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 27, 2020
    Does anyone know or have a guess as to why some of us haven’t received the mayer brown tests yet? I applied like a week ago so a bit concerning when I’ve seen others be sent the tests the same day they applied lol

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    This is so interesting. When I spoke to an AG grad rec at a virtual law fair at the end of last year, she told me proudly that they weren't doing VI's because they weren't 'inclusive'. I wonder why they changed their mind!
    Interesting - I know a handful of firms who will allow people to do telephone interviews instead of VIs if there are accessibility issues. Hopefully, they at least offer this. Annoys me a bit when a firm shouts about D&I and fails to pull through with it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.