2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sl1410

Standard Member
  • Dec 17, 2020
    I'm a second-year law student and applied to their Spring Vacation Scheme (which I'm not even allowed to apply to). I emailed them several times informing them of this just to let them know of the mistake, received no response. That would have been fine had I been rejected, but I've progressed through the various stages of their application process now (which is weird as it is given my mistake), and I don't want to end up in a situation where I am face to face with an interviewer and suddenly they realise I've applied for the wrong scheme and reject me.

There was also the whole debacle of sending the research questions by email which was strange especially when they use Apply4law I think. Additionally, as people have mentioned, they've decided to renege on their adherence to deadlines on multiple occasions.

This is not to say that it isn't an excellent firm nor does it objectively say anything negative about the firm's GR. Just my own personal experiences have been a bit strange relative to other firms who I have found to be far more organised.

I had the same issue but they had responded and said that the spring vac is now open to penultimate years as well so don't worry :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Travers Smith is well known for being the James May of law firm graduate recruitment (aka Captain Slow). In the last cycle, I applied for the Direct 2022 TC in November 2019 (so extremely comfortably before the deadline). In July 2020 they got back to me to say 'lol soz we filled all our places before we even bothered to read and/or reject your app ok bye better luck next time'. I'm sure that's why they have now moved to a non-rolling deadline for their summer VS.
    Travers have a small GR team and, I believe, are steadily placing more and more emphasis on VSs as a means of recruitment rather than direct TC. Hope you have better luck with the VS app!

Reactions: Rob93

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Reed Smith Spring AC invite! Submitted my research questions in November!

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated 😭 Truly in shock!

Congrats on your AC!
    I would probably recommend starting with the above, in no particular order. Also depends what different tasks form a part of the RS AC - some might be more relevant than others!

Reactions: C

Jhn222

Jan 15, 2021

Congrats on your AC!
    I would probably recommend starting with the above, in no particular order. Also depends what different tasks form a part of the RS AC - some might be more relevant than others!
    Thank you so so much for this! I truly appreciate it!!

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Is there any method of allocating people to an AC day? Are more promising candidates given an earlier date? Or is it more likely to be based off of factors such as application date, alphabetical etc

Reactions: MB17

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Is there any method of allocating people to an AC day? Are more promising candidates given an earlier date? Or is it more likely to be based off of factors such as application date, alphabetical etc
    Nothing that I know of. The only distinction I can imagine a firm making are to group law and non-law candidates together but even then, almost all AC's I've been at have been mixed.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Has anyone that's applied to Pinsent Masons London office heard back since completing the test? My portal has been updated today but I haven't received any emails
    Hey, I just checked my portal and it has been updated today too but I also haven't had an email! It's irritating that we can't see how it has been updated in the portal... Hopefully we hear soon! Good luck :)

p9b

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 29, 2019
    I'm considering talking about GameStop and its stocks if I'm asked about a commercial story at my interview - has anyone got any thoughts on the implications of it / how law firms might be relevant?

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Yes. They do ACs all the way through to March.

If it's any consolation I did my TI in late december and haven't heard back at all (spring vac scheme), so they're likely working through applications at all stages!
    Can I just say how happy this made me - I really wanted to finally get passed the TI stage for Mayer Brown and I thought I yet again wouldn't bc of all the AC offers (well done btw guys!) but this has genuinely reassured me that there is hope thank you so much 😭

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I've recently become quite interested in energy (ESG specifically) but I am unsure how to connect this to myself? I just like reading about it and I attended an ESG webinar with Linklaters which is what initially sparked my interest but idk how to link it to myself - any advice is appreciated!

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    I've recently become quite interested in energy (ESG specifically) but I am unsure how to connect this to myself? I just like reading about it and I attended an ESG webinar with Linklaters which is what initially sparked my interest but idk how to link it to myself - any advice is appreciated!
    Hey! I’m also interested in this area and have tried linking this to my interests in applications, where necessary. I would try think about some of your extra curricular activities or perhaps work experiences and see if you’ve ever had to incorporate ESG factors into your work? Alternatively, if you have been involved in social justice work or sustainable initiatives then perhaps this could be something to talk about? I think linking ESG to your experiences is entirely personal and dependent on your interests, so I think talking about the webinar you attended is a good approach - was there something in particular that stood out to you? You could try draw some links here with the firm you are applying to. Hope this helps in some way and apologies for the long message!

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    V&E VI!!!
    tv show omg GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race S5's Drag Race S5
    Based on your success and on this choice of gif, you're a winner baby!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.