2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiff law grad

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hi, congratulations.
Sorry this isn’t relevant, but I’m presuming that Gateley is recruiting on a rolling basis, seen as though their deadline is the 8th Feb?
I’ve been trying to find out if they are rolling or not.
I don't think they are recruiting on a rolling basis, I was asking about the AC which was supposed to take place last year lol (thx miss rona ;p)

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    just recieved eversheds VI for London :) does anyone have any tips and pointers for this?

I’d just say make sure you have examples of competencies! Hard to say more without saying the actual questions. Also the usual pointers - have a plain background, dress smartly like an in person interview, and look at the camera rather than the screen.

• Love
    Reactions: Jooooopp7

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    I'm hoping for some advice about an AC presentation I have coming up. The firm has given a totally free reign on topic choice other than it should be of interest to me, and it "does not have to be a legal topic, however it must link to legal implications or the legal sector". I have four years' work experience in PR, so I'm wondering if doing my presentation about PR issues would be a good idea? It's an area that I know a lot about, but I'm really wary of pigeon holing myself too much and making it look like I don't have any other interests/anything else to offer the firm, other than my background in PR.
    I also previously worked in cyber security, so that's another option, and might be a bit more relevant and show more commercial awareness?
    I'd be really grateful for any advice!
    Hiya,

Congratulations on your upcoming AC!

I think if that's an area of interest then there is no harm in talking about either. Naturally, I'm sure your experiences in PR will be a big talking point after 4 years in the sector so I don't think you will be pigeon holing yourself.

Instead I think the focus here is to really emphasis the links to the legal industry to demonstrate how your interests merge and to show that you are able to combine and adapt your knowledge and skills. I would choose by deciding which is the most affected area right now - arguably this may be cyber security due to the increased reliance on technology and remote working brought on by COVID.

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Can anyone recommend any platforms to stay commercially aware of specific sectors? Other than the FT, I struggle to find a platform specifically geared towards giving updates/comments on current trends about a certain industry/industries. I am mainly interested in energy and shipping. Thanks :)
    100% Watson's daily ! It's honestly all you need for commercial awareness stuff imo

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    It's not a no until you get that email 😁
    Forever hopeful hahaha. TBF I did email one firm MONTHS after I'd applied, well into the next recruitment cycle, asking if I could get an answer just so I could reapply (the system wouldn't let me apply with a live application still running) and they turned around and offered me an interview. Anything's possible.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    This might be a silly question, but what happens if you miss the phone call with the results from your AC? The main reason I ask this is because I have a bad habit of waking up rather late... morning phone calls would likely go unanswered...

Reactions: Naomi U

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Bit of a wierd q - but for virtual interviews would it be okay to wear large over the ear headphones (mine are light pink ahah) I don't currently have my usual wired ones which I feel look slightly more professional and I don't own airpods
    Folk have been wearing all sorts so I wouldn't worry too much. Personally I bought an external USB microphone which sits on my desk out of shot of my webcam, and I just let audio run out of my main speakers. Mic wasn't super expensive, like £40 tops :)

Photo of my setup:

desk.jpg

Edit: Yes, that is ABBA on my Spotify. Yes, you better believe I was dancing.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    This might be a silly question, but what happens if you miss the phone call with the results from your AC? The main reason I ask this is because I have a bad habit of waking up rather late... morning phone calls would likely go unanswered...
    I missed mine once and they emailed me! On the other hand, I got woken up at around half 9 another time by a good ol' morning rejection and I wish I'd slept through that lol

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Are people wearing suit jackets during their AC/interviews? I am curious what others have been doing or have observed. I do recognise that the standard is formal attire for an interview. However, anecdotally I've heard of some partners suggesting that candidates could lose their tie or were themselves dressed very informally.
    Hiya

It depends on if this is explicitly mentioned by grad recruitment. My personal approach is that its always better to be overdressed than under dressed. As you mentioned, worst case is that they tell you to loosen your tie, but I think that is simply to make you more relaxed and comfortable. I probably wouldn't look too deeply into what the interviewers themselves are wearing as its often that they have multiple things going on that day besides the interview.

I think you can never really be too overdressed, if anything it shows thought and effort and so I don't think its something to be looked down upon.

Hope this helps ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.