2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi! I just received a rejection from Akin Gump saying that my application was read with interest but they are not able to offer any further interview for the summer vacation scheme. They also said that if I decide to apply for a Direct TC my application will be given early consideration. I was wondering if this is just the standard (but very nice) rejection or if I should actually be encouraged to apply for a Direct TC.
Hiya,

Sorry to hear!

I'm not too familiar with Akin Gump, but I would definitely re-apply. Sometimes it is annoyingly a matter of capacity with vac schemes. The way I see it is, re-applying is worth a try! ☺️

Best of luck!

Reactions: Anna W

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
This might be a silly question, but what happens if you miss the phone call with the results from your AC? The main reason I ask this is because I have a bad habit of waking up rather late... morning phone calls would likely go unanswered...
Not silly at all!

Worst comes to worst you'll probably get a voicemail asking you to call back. If they can't get a hold of you at all maybe an email. I wouldn't worry too much. ☺️

Reactions: Jaysen and JayC

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Can CV-blind interviews hurt candidates from underprivileged backgrounds, because interviewers will not have the chance to put their performance into context?
Hiya

I think the intention is in fact the opposite. In a blind interview, your interviewers will effectively know nothing about you- what you say and how you perform in that present moment, is how you will be assessed. The issue with context is that sometimes it can be interpreted quite subjectively. So CV blind interviews are actually quite beneficial in that they put all candidates on an equal playing field at interview stage.

Hope this helps! ☺️

Reactions: cmaj and JayC
C

Carys Holland

Does anyone have any insight or advice regarding Gowling AC? I have an AC coming up on Thursday 😟
Hi! I did the Vac Scheme last year and honestly Gowling are so chill and friendly (I’ve reapplied so have an AC too). I’d say basically brush up on competency Qs and examples you can draw on from your life and achievements, and basically just relax and be yourself. Also obviously know the firm and know a bit of what’s going on in business. Last year i don’t think they asked me specifically about the firm but it’s always useful to know! Hope this helps😊

Reactions: Taylah

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Hiya

I think the intention is in fact the opposite. In a blind interview, your interviewers will effectively know nothing about you- what you say and how you perform in that present moment, is how you will be assessed. The issue with context is that sometimes it can be interpreted quite subjectively. So CV blind interviews are actually quite beneficial in that they put all candidates on an equal playing field at interview stage.

Hope this helps! ☺️
It makes sense, but I also wonder whether people from certain background have been prepped for interviews their whole lives and others have not had such opportunities! CV-blind means the interviewer wouldn't be able to take this into consideration

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any insight or advice regarding Gowling AC? I have an AC coming up on Thursday 😟

These should hopefully help, depending on the content of the AC :)

• Wow
    Reactions: Taylah, C and OB

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    It makes sense, but I also wonder whether people from certain background have been prepped for interviews their whole lives and others have not had such opportunities! CV-blind means the interviewer wouldn't be able to take this into consideration
    I think it would come down to GR's final assessment post-interview to provide contextual information to it didn't prejudice things before or after.

I've got to be honest, though - I've personally done a mix of blind and 'normal' interviews, never really noticed a difference other than being asked about specific experiences on my CV which I personally quite like as it allows the interview to take a more natural/ personal course. I've also done some 'part redacted' CV interviews where grades, education history and personal data are retracted with work experience, personal statement etc left open which allows it ti be somewhere in the middle :)

Reactions: JayC

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    :) It makes sense, but I also wonder whether people from certain background have been prepped for interviews their whole lives and others have not had such opportunities! CV-blind means the interviewer wouldn't be able to take this into consideration
    Hiya

I understand your point completely and I am very much in favour of being holistic. I guess the issue is that you don't always know the extent to which advantages and disadvantages occur and the impacts of such. Therefore, CV-blind interviews help to remove any bias that can occur on both ends.

Naturally, mitigating and extenuating circumstances are taken into account in the initial assessment stage but I think the goal with CV blind interviews is to give candidates the chance to be assessed at the present moment rather than to focus too much on their past experiences which some candidates may actually not wish to focus on themselves. I guess CV blind interviews allow you to control the narrative a bit more which can be a real benefit in interviews :)

Reactions: jan28 and JayC

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Can CV-blind interviews hurt candidates from underprivileged backgrounds, because interviewers will not have the chance to put their performance into context?

I completely see what you're saying - CV blind recruitment is more aimed at removing internal bias than contextualising achievements, but this can still be helpful to candidates from underprivileged backgrounds. My own experience with a CV blind AC was that I truly felt I was being assessed on my performance that day, which was equal amounts freeing and intimidating 🥴 IA that it's tricky in terms of D&I, because as you say, assessors can't put performances during the AC in context, but at the same time they also won't be unconsciously favouring Oxbridge graduates.

I would say go into the interview confident that only your behaviour on the day will affect the outcome, rather than any previous achievements you or other candidates may have. You've got this!!!

Reactions: JayC

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I personally would always wear a jacket; though I did actually take it off in my Travers interview when I was in the room as it was roasting!

Generally speaking though, collar and tie, full suit (2 pieces is absolutely fine, I personally find 3 pieces overkill but it's a personal thing) and formal shoes is the way to go! :)
    Yep and always go for black shoes! Brown shoes are for more casual occasions in my experience

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.