2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlj

Feb 2, 2021
Can anyone help with how to prep for an AC with a group & written exercise please? It is my first one so I'm not really sure what to expect, if anyone has any tips or advice that would be great! Thanks in advance :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Really stuck at what news story to talk about if I'm asked in my AC. Has anyone got any ideas? TIA! x
    Hey, congrats on your AC!

This article might help, part of it is a discussion of how to approach this question and it gives different examples of types of issue you can choose too!

• Wow
    Reactions: Lauren2 and OB

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any tips for group exercises? I’ve done one during an open day in first year and there was someone who talked majority of the time and talked over me at some point, so I didn’t really want to contribute after that. Any tips when doing this for a vac scheme AC?
    Hi, this article might help:

Although it is primarily written with reference to negotiation exercises, it also discusses team positions/ team dynamic and how to contribute effectively :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Can anyone help with how to prep for an AC with a group & written exercise please? It is my first one so I'm not really sure what to expect, if anyone has any tips or advice that would be great! Thanks in advance :)
    Hi, congrats on your AC! These are the articles I've written recently which should hopefully help you:

Hope these help! Feel free to follow up with any further questions on the threads themselves :)

• Wow
    Reactions: OB

ar2r

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    I've heard that in Slaughters interviews they sometimes ask whether you were rejected from Oxbridge (I was). How would I go about answering that question without sounding like I was really unprepared for my Oxford interview etc.?

Reactions: packhorse

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Thanks for your response! – This definitely seems like an excellent approach and one I will build into my answers. I got the impression when I was answering this question I was deflecting from my own performance. Being able to identify past weaknesses and how you've built on them seems like a good approach to take, and if done right I imagine it can show you're able to self-reflect + develop.
    No problem - sounds great!

Best of luck ☺️

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I've heard that in Slaughters interviews they sometimes ask whether you were rejected from Oxbridge (I was). How would I go about answering that question without sounding like I was really unprepared for my Oxford interview etc.?
    Is that really a question that could be asked?! Just seems really irrelevant, pretty out of touch and has no bearing as to whether you'd be able to the job...

jd3447

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    I Honestly think the oxbridge process is often just as random as law recruitment🤣 so feels like a bit of an unfair q. My guess is that if they did ask this they’d be more interested in your ability to self reflect and act on feedback- they want to know that you can identify where you went wrong/ where you weaker areas were, and then improve them. You could say something like - your nerves made it harder for you to articulate your enthusiasm for the subject, but since then you’ve learnt how to manage better under pressure and have refined your ability to think quickly/ on your feet. I’m no expert though and I’m sure other people will have better ideas!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.