2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Pinsent masons - anyone who is waiting to hear should get an email today
Oh really? I did look at my portal yesterday and it had been updated at some point during the day. Although, this is the application that I'm least confident with if I'm honest. Purely because of the format/word count and questions.

Reactions: RP

Hazza hana

Jan 29, 2021
I feel the exact same, don't worry. The only hope I have is that everyone else I know who has a Pinsents traineeship also found the quiz horrific and guessed most of it yet somehow passed it. I think it's all about lucky guessing! (Which is very unfair imo but what can you do)
The whole point of the Pinsents test is you literally cannot guess and be successful. You need to get each group of 5 correct to get a point in the marking scheme. If you get 4/5 correct you get nothing.

The odds of guessing 5 answers (A b or c) correct are 1/3 × 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 = 3.9% chance you can guess one group of questions correctly.

There are 25 groups of questions so guessing just won't be successful.

DO NOT GUESS

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Random question:

Is anyone aware of any grad jobs which are legal related but not TCs per se? E.g. I was looking at the Farfetch legal graduate scheme but its now disappeared offline haha

I'm pretty sure Goldman Sachs have a Legal Analyst programme!

Also, not a grad scheme per se, but you could look into legal recruitment

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
The whole point of the Pinsents test is you literally cannot guess and be successful. You need to get each group of 5 correct to get a point in the marking scheme. If you get 4/5 correct you get nothing.

The odds of guessing 5 answers (A b or c) correct are 1/3 × 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 = 3.9% chance you can guess one group of questions correctly.

There are 25 groups of questions so guessing just won't be successful.

DO NOT GUESS
Yeah, I wasn’t recommending guessing, just saying I know people who did and passed. Maybe people I’ve spoken to lied and found it easier than they said they did or the threshold to pass was low that year. I was just speaking from others’ experience 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Hazza hana and cem

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Ah, that sucks. Have you got other applications to hear back from?
It super does. You know THAT application, the one you feel like you aced, no matter if you tell yourself “be objective, assume it’s a no to avoid feeling rejection” - this was that one 🤡
I have two more. It is my first round this year, but I’m a career changer who’s gone back to uni- I don’t have loads of time to spend not working a full time job whilst I chase this you know? 😭

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Had a rejection from Burges Salmon for their summer VS, but the email said to apply for their TC. I’m not sure how I could make my application better to apply again - how can I know where I’ve gone wrong?

I've had something similar from Burges in the past during my first VS cycle. It really sucks - but sometimes firms have a multitude of absolutely random reasons they'll reject you. Clearly your application was really strong, since they're interested in you pursuing a TC with them, so I wouldn't worry about that (just do some online business related courses or something to show you've developed - that's what I did for another firm). It literally may have just been something as simple as they're not sure whether you'd get along with the firm personality wise or that you applied slightly too late, if they're rolling. You should deffo contact Grad Rec asking for feedback but if their reply isn't helpful don't sweat it, you're obviously a great candidate!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    It super does. You know THAT application, the one you feel like you aced, no matter if you tell yourself “be objective, assume it’s a no to avoid feeling rejection” - this was that one 🤡
    I have two more. It is my first round this year, but I’m a career changer who’s gone back to uni- I don’t have loads of time to spend not working a full time job whilst I chase this you know? 😭
    I often find it's the times I think I've nailed it that I'm not successful - not just with applications but also interviews, assignments, etc. Then there's the times where I've written myself off and somehow done well. Maybe this is just one of those times?

As much as we try, I don't think we can ever truly know what the person reading our applications wants to see. Sometimes we just get it wrong...

Lauren2001

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    I'm pretty sure Goldman Sachs have a Legal Analyst programme!

Also, not a grad scheme per se, but you could look into legal recruitment
    Hey! I have always been interested in Goldman's but I'm not 100% aware of the IB recruitment process...do you know when they start hiring for this? As just now all I seen advertised in the last few weeks was their new analyst programme. Also can you qualify from their legal programme as I'm aware some companies are able to put you through legal training

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    Hey! I have always been interested in Goldman's but I'm not 100% aware of the IB recruitment process...do you know when they start hiring for this? As just now all I seen advertised in the last few weeks was their new analyst programme. Also can you qualify from their legal programme as I'm aware some companies are able to put you through legal training
    If you do the legal programme at Goldman Sachs they don’t pay for your qualification. So you won’t qualify as a solicitor. Places such as PwC however do sponsor you SQE which allows you to qualify. Hope this helps!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AH97, Lauren2001 and OB

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Literally blindsided, PFO from Walker Morris. Easily my strongest application. Applied late December.
    I'm sorry to hear that - but we have no idea what's strong and what isn't - we're almost completely blind here.
    I submitted an application to HSF, spent forever on it, have visited the firm multiple times, met trainees and Grad Rec etc, got multiple trainees to read over my application and implemented their advice, sent it to both my undergrad and postgrad unis and implemented their advice, agonised over every inch of it, ensured I hit every single attribute they said they wanted, submitted it a week after applications opened. Passed the tests and then got a PFO. Then, I applied to Freshfields on the deadline day. My laptop broke and I lost my perfectly honed application and had to submit an earlier version that I'd backed up, there's a spelling error in the first sentence of my personal statement, and it says I will be doing something in October when I submitted in January (so, after I'd done it). I still got a WG invite. I've got two AC invites from other firms and I submitted both of those rushed, on the deadline day too. One of them I wasn't even going to submit because I was just too wiped from applications and was going to meet a friend instead but then it started raining and I thought it was less effort to submit it than to go out in the rain.
    Essentially, in my experience, the ones I thought were the strongest were absolutely not the most successful ones. Good luck with your other applications - I'm sure something will stick.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.