2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
I am doing a Dechert application and their last question is "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form". What do they expect to see in this section and is it ok to leave it blank?
100% use it to expand on the other answers etc. Make every word count.

Reactions: Phoenix for all

FeuxFollets20

Jan 28, 2021
No, I submitted my application today but the confirmation email doesn’t say anything about an online test. Also based on earlier responses it’s seems like there isn’t a set time between when you receive the online test (one response said a day after, another said three weeks). Not sure if this means that the online test is an additional stage of the application as opposed to being part of the initial written application stage.
Looks like we'll just need to be patient then! If it's not automatic it should be an additional stage!

Reactions: Tarnjeet

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi guys, for the Reed Smith application the question that asks what are your main activities and interests outside study/work-life is it okay to include the career societies that I am a part of at University. Especially if they are finance/law related. Or are they looking for interests like music/sport etc. Thanks!
Hi @Jot Soor
I don't think there is a particular answer they are looking for here. I think questions likes these are to get a feel for your character and personality, so don't feel like you have to put finance and law related hobbies if these aren't your preferred options. Or simply you could put a mixture of both- I think this helps demonstrate that you are well-rounded.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Jot Soor

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Random question:

Is anyone aware of any grad jobs which are legal related but not TCs per se? E.g. I was looking at the Farfetch legal graduate scheme but its now disappeared offline haha

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Random question:

Is anyone aware of any grad jobs which are legal related but not TCs per se? E.g. I was looking at the Farfetch legal graduate scheme but its now disappeared offline haha
    Don't know of any schemes per se but I could never work at Farfetch because if I got a staff discount my entire salary would evaporate within about 2 hours of getting paid.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    For an AC interview, is it a good idea to draw on different competency / why commercial law examples than I used in my initial application?
    Hi @rob29

I think this is fine, but I wouldn't depart too much from my why law answer. I think this question is often asked for you to expand on the answer and themes you raised in your application. So I would approach this from an expansive point rather than diverting from your initial statement. I think for competency examples this is less of an issue.

Hope this helps ☺️

Reactions: Monkeyray

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Random question:

Hi are you referring to this?😊

Nkechi Emodi

Jul 14, 2020
    Has anyone applied to CRS? Having trouble finding a thread for it here. This question, which is 250 words, is a tricky one, especially as they want you to focus on *one* thing. Any one have any advice?

"If you were given the opportunity to change one thing at Charles Russell Speechlys, what would you change and why?"
    Hi,
    I am applying to CRS and I was thinking about writing about them utilising their social media platforms a bit more. I also spoke to an associate and he said another thing could be changing the perception of the firm since most people associate it with just Private Client work when they have a full-service offering and expertise in other areas like Corporate and Sports.
    There's also a post on Instagram by @whatthelawyer that has suggestions on how to answer this question so you can also take a look at that if you want.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: LegalUser and Dheepa

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi! For the application question, “what is one thing you would change about our firm and why”, is it risky to mention wanting to see an improvement in diversity and inclusion? I wanted to begin the answer by acknowledging what the firm has started doing, but that their statistics indicate that they really have a long way to go. Furthermore I would mention the benefits of the firm incorporating more D+I. However, I’m not sure if I should instead focus on a more purely “commercial answer” (e.g. expansion to different countries etc).
    Thank you 😊
    Hi @N123

I think this is a great point as I think the focus here is on your understanding of the firm's goals and culture generally. Diversity & Inclusion is a key focal point in the legal industry right now, so it is worth a mention if you personally feel that this is indeed an area the firm can and should improve on. Also, I probably would be less likely to talk about a commercial answer because I think is more to do with strategy rather than the firm as a whole. This is unless the commercial answer is something you have identified would benefit the firm in a specific way that they are presently lacking in.

Hope this helps ☺️

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Hi @N123

I think this is a great point as I think the focus here is on your understanding of the firm's goals and culture generally. Diversity & Inclusion is a key focal point in the legal industry right now, so it is worth a mention if you personally feel that this is indeed an area the firm can and should improve on. Also, I probably would be less likely to talk about a commercial answer because I think is more to do with strategy rather than the firm as a whole. This is unless the commercial answer is something you have identified would benefit the firm in a specific way that they are presently lacking in.

Hope this helps ☺️
    Wow thank you! This is really helpful🤗

Reactions: Naomi U

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    I am doing a Dechert application and their last question is "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form". What do they expect to see in this section and is it ok to leave it blank?
    I think this is dependent on the nature of the questions you have already answered. Perhaps you could use it to explain some of your experiences (legal, uni related, extra-curricular) and subsequent skills in further detail if you were only able to mention this in brief.

Hope this helps :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Had a rejection from Burges Salmon for their summer VS, but the email said to apply for their TC. I’m not sure how I could make my application better to apply again - how can I know where I’ve gone wrong?
    Hi @hannahs

Sorry to hear!
    Maybe try to get in contact with grad rec for some feedback. If not, sometimes it might just be an intake preference. In this case, I think it would be worth to just update your application with any new events, skills or experiences you have during the break.

Best of luck for your future application!

Monkeyray

Jan 3, 2021
    Hi @rob29

I think this is fine, but I wouldn't depart too much from my why law answer. I think this question is often asked for you to expand on the answer and themes you raised in your application. So I would approach this from an expansive point rather than diverting from your initial statement. I think for competency examples this is less of an issue.

Hope this helps ☺️
    Thank you, that's really helpful :)

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I realised that CVmail has a sneaky question embedded in the education section asking where you intend to take the GDL/LPC and I filled it in ages ago and never changed it for subsequent applications. I put that I would take at BPP, so I'm wondering for those firms where they want to send you somewhere else like the University of Law, might I be disqualified for lack of attention to detail? :/

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I realised that CVmail has a sneaky question embedded in the education section asking where you intend to take the GDL/LPC and I filled it in ages ago and never changed it for subsequent applications. I put that I would take at BPP, so I'm wondering for those firms where they want to send you somewhere else like the University of Law, might I be disqualified for lack of attention to detail? :/
    I actually don’t fill that out even where it says intend to take and I’ve been fine progressing apps so I wouldn’t worry too much

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.