2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Question which probably @Jessica Booker has the best answer to: what is the etiquette on contacting GR re the stage of your app? For a few applications I have been waiting for quite a long time, such as Latham (applied mid November) and Weil (did the VI 4 weeks ago). Don't want to seem pushy with GR..
    I used to get painfully anxious about this too! I would personally wait 7 working days after whenever they said we'd get an update before emailing :)

Reactions: tla99

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Think @Alice G Waited 2-3 weeks post WG last year. Interviews don't start until March for Direct TC, so plenty of time yet
    I defo know my largest flaw is impatience now ahahah

Hurry Up GIF

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey does anybody have tips about the case study aspect of a partner led AC interview?
    Hopefully this should help :)

• Haha
    Reactions: OB and Luiz1001

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Yes I think so. I got 99 and was super happy until I read people with 90+ got rejected and others with 60s got through lol. Think the WG test is less important than the CAPP. Not sure though!
    I'm exactly the same, got 99th percentile (which was such a surprise hahaha) and haven't heard back, so I definitely think Linklaters doesn't place much emphasis on the WG.

Slightly unrelated, but for anyone reading who struggles with WGs, I used to ALWAYS get low to average scores all the while slaving over the guides on JobTestPrep. I honestly think the best way to improve is to practice, jotting down where you seem to be going wrong and learning by osmosis. I personally found going over the guides very confusing and not applicable to every question. (BTW, I don't mean the explanations to individual questions - they can be useful imo).

After practicing a few per day for a week or so, I naturally began to get a feel for what answers were generally right, especially in the arguments section - I think it's much better to go with your gut on the WG rather than over analysing.

Reactions: E.A and stemlawgal

Luiz1001

Star Member
    Jan 20, 2021

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    Out of interest what would you do differently if you did it again?
    This is a really great question. Thanks for asking, allows me to reflect as well, which I hadn't done.

1. Rest more. I was very burnt out from previous ACs (grateful nonetheless) so although I did a lot of research, I was bit off my game and maybe slower to think on my feet in responding to interview questions, even though I knew the answers.
    2. Take risks? I guess? I don't know how to express it but during the written exercise, I found one part in particular very confusing. I thought I had the right answer but was too afraid to write it just incase I was wrong. In hindsight, I wish I just took the risk and wrote it. Because now I've had the time to reflect on it without the time pressure, I think I was right.
    3. Let my personality come out a bit more.

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    Congrats on everyone’s good news today - you should be very proud! And to those who received bad news, you should also be very proud for your efforts - putting yourself out there is no easy feat.

Has anyone heard from Charles Russell Speechlys yet for summer vac scheme?

I also completed the TW game assessment on 17th Jan and haven’t heard back from them yet or been invited to the AC on Tuesday so I’m kind of sweating here and over it all now 😩.

Nothing from CRS yet but I'll post once I hear either way.

Reactions: chromaticaqueen

tla99

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 18, 2019
    I used to get painfully anxious about this too! I would personally wait 7 working days after whenever they said we'd get an update before emailing :)
    Most of the time they don't give any indication of when we should get an update :rolleyes: which makes the whole emailing deal almost worse than the wait ahahah

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Did you get a confirmation that they received your application? I didn't and now paranoid something went wrong and they didn't receive it!

I did not. I know someone who attended the Vac Scheme last year and got offered a TC. I was told they also didn't receive a confirmation email but they got their invite to invite February last year

Legallin

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 20, 2020
    I'm exactly the same, got 99th percentile (which was such a surprise hahaha) and haven't heard back, so I definitely think Linklaters doesn't place much emphasis on the WG.

Slightly unrelated, but for anyone reading who struggles with WGs, I used to ALWAYS get low to average scores all the while slaving over the guides on JobTestPrep. I honestly think the best way to improve is to practice, jotting down where you seem to be going wrong and learning by osmosis. I personally found going over the guides very confusing and not applicable to every question. (BTW, I don't mean the explanations to individual questions - they can be useful imo).

After practicing a few per day for a week or so, I naturally began to get a feel for what answers were generally right, especially in the arguments section - I think it's much better to go with your gut on the WG rather than over analysing.
    I agree with this! I got the jobtestprep pack and I’m convinced it made me worse! I was so confused after 😂

Reactions: Victoria R

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I have had some messages about the post I made about my bad experience with a firm regarding my disability - thank you so much for all your support.☺️ I think it was due to that one person's lack of education which led them to make some insensitive comments/suggestions. I will not be disclosing the firm.

However, I am delighted to say I have dealt with some firms who are heroes and excellent with disabilities. My biggest advice for anyone applying to a firm who is D&I:

Apply to a firm who celebrates you, rather than ignores you. Your experiences make you who you are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Question which probably @Jessica Booker has the best answer to: what is the etiquette on contacting GR re the stage of your app? For a few applications I have been waiting for quite a long time, such as Latham (applied mid November) and Weil (did the VI 4 weeks ago). Don't want to seem pushy with GR..
    If you are confident other people have been contacted about your stage over a period of 2-3 weeks, then contact them with a brief email.

If you don’t need to know the outcome (eg you are only finding out for your sanity rather than balancing it with other offers/commitments), then personally, I would just try to sit it out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.