2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Gamestop
    Uber agrees to buy alcohol-delivery service Drizly in $1.1bn deal (If M&A is interesting to you) but this came in my commercial awareness news today and I find this interesting
    Amazon’s Jeff Bezos to step aside is a good one and could use PESTEL in this story with the impact on the law firm if they have Amazon as a client

Hope that helps.
    What do you mean by PESTEL?

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

lildumpling

Dec 5, 2020
    I think HSF definitely have an on-hold pile. Last year, people were being made summer offers when I got a spring VS AC invite in mid Feb. It was so long after I submitted the app I nearly forgot I even applied. Don't lose hope just yet!!
    Thank you for replying! Definitely makes a lot of sense seeing as I feel like HSF has been so sporadic with reviewing and responding to their apps haha

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I think HSF definitely have an on-hold pile. Last year, people were being made summer offers when I got a spring VS AC invite in mid Feb. It was so long after I submitted the app I nearly forgot I even applied. Don't lose hope just yet!!
    I asked their Grad Rec if they have an on hold pile at an event last year and she said they don't. She said everyone is either a yes or a no. It honestly confused me because what if everyone they have in their yes pile chooses another firm? But that's what she said.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Why on earth does this matter??
    1. It establishes how you cope with rejection - are you resilient, are you reflective, do you recognise your strengths and weaknesses?
    2. It determines how you react to being offended or personally slighted.
    3. It shows whether you hold a grudge or get bitter when you don't get something you want.
    4. It somewhat addresses your motivations, are you just applying for the prestige? Is it the money?
    5. Do you maybe have something to prove?

I don't necessarily agree with the question and I didn't apply for Oxbridge so wouldn't be asked it but I think there's probably a lot that they can tell from it - rightly or wrongly so.

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Congrats on everyone’s good news today - you should be very proud! And to those who received bad news, you should also be very proud for your efforts - putting yourself out there is no easy feat.

Has anyone heard from Charles Russell Speechlys yet for summer vac scheme?

I also completed the TW game assessment on 17th Jan and haven’t heard back from them yet or been invited to the AC on Tuesday so I’m kind of sweating here and over it all now 😩.

Reactions: cmaj

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    So if a VI asks me ‘why law’ for example, and I’ve already given this answer in my initial application, do I just repeat myself? It sounds silly but my motivations haven’t changed
    Hiya,

Not necessarily repeat, but you would expand on the points you have already mentioned by providing further detail and examples ☺️

Reactions: arbitracion
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.