2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
In a question asking what the personal qualities of a successful solicitor are, should you include examples of where you've demonstrated them?
Hiya,

It depends. I think if the question is as you phrased it, I probably wouldn't be as inclined to relate it back to my own personal experiences. Rather I would explain how such qualities help and benefit solicitors in their every day tasks and thus how this leads to them being successful.

Hope this helps!☺️

Reactions: C and jan28

ggtum

Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are all coping well! I've applied to Latham & Watkins and worked super hard on my application - wanted to check pre-emptively if anybody has any video interview experience with them? I've just received a video interview offer and any advice on the questions asked would be great, thanks in advance!

Feel free to drop me a PM :)

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are all coping well! I've applied to Latham & Watkins and worked super hard on my application - wanted to check pre-emptively if anybody has any video interview experience with them? I've just received a video interview offer and any advice on the questions asked would be great, thanks in advance!

congrats! Do you mind sharing when you applied?

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
V&E VI invite! I put a lot of effort into the app so very pleased 😁. For context I applied at the end November.

P.s I think everyone should mention when they applied when announcing app progress from firms. It seems every other post always has four or five people asking for this info!
When did you hear about your VI invite - just now?

NA27

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

Congrats on the VI! Looks like Latham are still giving out VIs so I am not going to lose hope just yet :)

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Has anyone head back regarding the W&C Summer VS?

Looks like we will actually hear back in the summer, like 2 weeks before the scheme itself lol.

Also anyone know when we will hear back from Travers and NRF (both summer vs)?

I saw one guy saying he got a VI from W&C earlier today so they must have started

Reactions: Dwight

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    For an interview taking place remotely, would it be obvious and would it be bad to occasionally look at notes, either written, or on your screen?

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    For an interview taking place remotely, would it be obvious and would it be bad to occasionally look at notes, either written, or on your screen?
    I've done several (live) video interviews with bullet points for each question and have gotten through. I think if you are still improvising based on your notes and you position the notes near your camera it's not that easy to notice. But then I have a crappy webcam, so perhaps they weren't able to see my eyes...

Reactions: packhorse and JayC

RogerG

Oct 27, 2020
    I've been told before by graduate recruitment at a magic circle firm that it's a bad idea to be referring to notes during interviews online. I think the main reason for this is that it can sometimes stop you from building a rapport with your interviewer if you're constantly referring to notes. Of course, if you can do it without being too obvious, then I guess go ahead - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: JayC
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.