Watson Glaser Pass Mark

Qy_

Premium Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hi everyone :) So, to stand a good chance of getting an AC, what sort of score should I aim for? (specifically with regards to Linklaters and Clifford Chance) I usually score around 75%.

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone :) So, to stand a good chance of getting an AC, what sort of score should I aim for? (specifically with regards to Linklaters and Clifford Chance) I usually score around 75%.

The pass mark varies firm to firm so I dont think theres really a clear awnser. Moreover, I have heard rumours of firms actually raising the mark when there is a particuarly high number of applicants on top of that. However, from my personal experience I have usually got through scoring 75-80% on practice tests.

• 📥
Reactions: nymi and Qy_

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018

I usually score around 85-90%, which got me through to Linklaters AC last year. However, it wasn't enough to get me to Hogan Lovells telephone interview this year, so as has been mentioned above, it depends from firm to firm. It also depends on how well the applicants in a given year do, as I think most firms operate a percentile benchmark rather than an absolute percentage benchmark. All the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Qy_

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
I usually score around 85-90%, which got me through to Linklaters AC last year. However, it wasn't enough to get me to Hogan Lovells AC this year, so as has been mentioned above, it depends from firm to firm. It also depends on how well the applicants in a given year do, as I think most firms operate a percentile benchmark rather than an absolute percentage benchmark. All the best!

How did you practice to get so high ...

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
How did you practice to get so high ...

I think it is important to understand that each section of the Watson Glaser tests a slightly different ability, has different rules, and therefore requires a slightly different strategy to the other.

The inferences section, for example, requires the use of your own common sense and logic, while most of the other sections (such as the deductions and arguments section) require you to take all statements as true. You can get a feel for this by reading through the instructions of a practice test very thoroughly.

Outside of reading instructions, my advice would be not to rush - obviously, finish within time limit, but equally there's no need to feel like you have to finish the test super quickly for no reason. You can divide the number of minutes by the number of questions and leave some time out for a quick review. If I was unsure about my answer for one question, I would make a note of it on a notepad and loop back after finishing the other questions.

Finally, practice makes perfect!!! I think its good to assess what went wrong after each practice test - check what you misunderstood, etc. During each test, I would also keep a notepad beside me with bullet points on how to approach each section. Hogan Lovells, Clifford Chance and Linklaters all have their own practice tests - I would usually complete these last, after standard free resources like assessmentday.co.uk and wikijob.co.uk, because the practice tests provided by firms are the closest to the real thing and therefore the most challenging.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I think it is important to understand that each section of the Watson Glaser tests a slightly different ability, has different rules, and therefore requires a slightly different strategy to the other.

The inferences section, for example, requires the use of your own common sense and logic, while most of the other sections (such as the deductions and arguments section) require you to take all statements as true. You can get a feel for this by reading through the instructions of a practice test very thoroughly.

Outside of reading instructions, my advice would be not to rush - obviously, finish within time limit, but equally there's no need to feel like you have to finish the test super quickly for no reason. You can divide the number of minutes by the number of questions and leave some time out for a quick review. If I was unsure about my answer for one question, I would make a note of it on a notepad and loop back after finishing the other questions.

Finally, practice makes perfect!!! I think its good to assess what went wrong after each practice test - check what you misunderstood, etc. During each test, I would also keep a notepad beside me with bullet points on how to approach each section. Hogan Lovells, Clifford Chance and Linklaters all have their own practice tests - I would usually complete these last, after standard free resources like assessmentday.co.uk and wikijob.co.uk, because the practice tests provided by firms are the closest to the real thing and therefore the most challenging.

Good luck!
Can you access the firm ones you mentioned without an application with them?

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Can you access the firm ones you mentioned without an application with them?

For CC and HL, yes. I think the Links one was sent to me by email after submitting an application, but I know it is a free test that is also available on the Pearson website.

Edit: @Helena - I just checked, and the Linklaters practice test wasn't sent to me by email, but it is linked on their grad recruitment website. So yes, also free to access without an application to them. https://careers.linklaters.com/en/early-careers/your-application

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen and Helena

phar

Standard Member
Oct 3, 2018
Just as everyone else pointed out, it varies across different firms. The minimum passing mark can range from 30 to perhaps 60-70, but in most cases, it's probably around the 30-50 ranges.

Scoring high marks on practice tests is not always a guarantee in scoring highly in WG tests, but it can help passing them! For example, Linklaters mentions that the WG percentiles are based on the number of correct answers you score and the difficulty of the questions (I think how many people in average score a particular question correctly or incorrectly?). Other firms may not apply this though. Meanwhile, practice tests often just take into how many questions are answered correctly, or the average percentage of correct answers people answered and how you are positioned (ie, you scored 10/15 and the average scores 11/15, thus placing you in 80-90 percentile. I think practice tests like Assessment Day does this).

J88

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2018
If anyone is looking for more Watson Glaser resources - this thesis has some practise questions: http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/1126/1/1126.pdf.
Read on from page 391 of the document for the actual questions.

Interestingly, I just did a real Watson Glaser test for a firm, and some questions came up which were identical to the ones in that thesis.

Last edited:

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
Hey everyone! This question applies to anyone who has applied to CC: does anyone know how soon after we submit our application do we receive the link for the WG test? Thank you

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
I submitted it at around 00.30 on 15th December and received the test invite today at around 6pm. Hope this helps!

@Taylor thank you so much! For anyone else who submitted it quite close to the deadline and is stressing, I submitted my application at 10pm GMT on 16th Dec, and received the WG link at 9am GMT today (17th Dec). I also got an e-mail confirming that the deadline for the test is 9am on 18th December (I applied for the Middle East TC, so please confirm if the same deadlines apply for other TC's).

All the best!

• 🤝
Reactions: EZ_D

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
@Taylor thank you so much! For anyone else who submitted it quite close to the deadline and is stressing, I submitted my application at 10pm GMT on 16th Dec, and received the WG link at 9am GMT today (17th Dec). I also got an e-mail confirming that the deadline for the test is 9am on 18th December (I applied for the Middle East TC, so please confirm if the same deadlines apply for other TC's).

All the best!

This deadline applies for all CC TCs as far as I know. A friend of mine submitted their app last week and has the same WG deadline

Reactions: Salma

Tstrack

Premium Member
Sep 30, 2018
Has anybody gotten an email from CC like half an hour ago with a repeat email asking to do the Watson Glaser test again?? I did it this morning but freaking out that it didn’t properly submit

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
Has anybody gotten an email from CC like half an hour ago with a repeat email asking to do the Watson Glaser test again?? I did it this morning but freaking out that it didn’t properly submit

hahaha yea I just posted this in another thread because I was also freaking out- looks like it happened to several people- we are not alone!

D

Deleted member 613

Hi all, does anyone have a recommended website to use for purchasing watson glaser prep tests/material? I'm really struggling with finding a substantial source. Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.