2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSinger

Esteemed Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    It isn’t as binary as that.

Non RG applicants are much less likely to apply

Non RG applicants tend to have less opportunity for careers guidance or insights into firms.
    I agree with this. As an non-RG student I have seen first hand the stark difference in opportunities to gain insight into commercial law on campus. Often the big firms have target universities where they host lots of events at and also have campus ambassadors etc.

alicebloom

Dec 27, 2020
    Is a degree from Oxbridge more difficult to obtain? I am not convinced it is more difficult.

It may be more intellectually difficult. But considering you have far stronger support mechanisms at Oxbridge, including tutorials that are often one-on-one or in very small groups, it could be argued it is easier to obtain a strong grade in an Oxbridge degree because of the mechanisms in place to get you there. Constant, regular and detailed feedback from your first week undoubtedly allow you to learn more, quicker.

So maybe the student doing the same course at Reading or Oxford Brookes has to work harder to achieve the same grade where they have to be more self sufficient? And that could be why it is more difficult.

Just my opinion on the matter anyway.
    Definitely respect and understand your opinion! However as a Cambridge student myself I would certainly say that it is extremely difficult! Yes, there may be more one-on-one "support", but when you're expected to write 15+ 2000 word essays in 8 weeks it becomes very easy to fall behind. You're definitely not spoon fed! (Again, I have no experience at other unis though so it is all subjective I guess)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I wasn't arguing that. I was arguing that standards are higher. The fact that UCL awards a high number of firsts has nothing to do with higher achievers in non-RGs being able to get 80+ in certain modules by virtue of their universities assessment standard.
    I wasn’t saying you were.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    rupauls drag race raven GIF

Nothing but facts here my dude! :cool:

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    The only thing I'd add to the university debate from my entirely inexperienced position is that Cleary ask for a 2.1 from a leading university. Having said that, they're also the only one firm to ask for AAA to the best of my knowledge, and we heard *a lot* about their culture earlier.

Is their specification for leading universities just them being honest, or is it a unique requirement / request?

Reactions: JayB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Definitely respect and understand your opinion! However as a Cambridge student myself I would certainly say that it is extremely difficult! Yes, there may be more one-on-one "support", but when you're expected to write 15+ 2000 word essays in 8 weeks it becomes very easy to fall behind. You're definitely not spoon fed! (Again, I have no experience at other unis though so it is all subjective I guess)
    I am not saying it isn’t difficult - just how it is difficult could be very different.

You aren’t spoon fed, but you are guided, corrected and advised much more closely. The resources you have available are much more extensive. Even the small things of being fed well in college will make things marginally easier (know that isn’t always the case for every college).

Last edited:

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    The only thing I'd add to the university debate from my entirely inexperienced position is that Cleary ask for a 2.1 from a leading university. Having said that, they're also the only one firm to ask for AAA to the best of my knowledge, and we heard *a lot* about their culture earlier.

Is their specification for leading universities just them being honest, or is it a unique requirement / request?

Then lmao I ain't applying there if they state that as their requirement. CHECKMATE! Debate solved!

Where the law firm rejection/depression memes at?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I’m ngl I’ve always favoured firms who are more flexible, not even because of my own personal grades but because I like the idea of working in a firm with a real diversity of people and I feel like really strict requirements can sometimes result in cookie cutter trainees

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Just their prerogative to ask for it. Don’t agree with it but they can set whatever requirements they want. No different to CC’s year group prioritisation policy really.

Reactions: JayB

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    I’m ngl I’ve always favoured firms who are more flexible, not even because of my own personal grades but because I like the idea of working in a firm with a real diversity of people and I feel like really strict requirements can sometimes result in cookie cutter trainees

I agree. But as someone from a state school background that has worked really hard to get into a top 5 uni it does feel like the goal post keeps moving.

Still I would not want the firm to be filled with the type of people I attend uni with lol!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Then your response was a meaningless contradiction to something I didn't even say. So why even bother?
    If that’s what you feel, then fine. I am not just talking to you, there are plenty of other people engaging in this topic that I may want to clarify my position on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.