2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Just wondering how many firms per cycle most people apply to? Been applying for a while now with good academics and work experience and not getting many ACs at all. Feels impossible!
    I made 12 (maybe 13?) applications on my cycle across magic circle, silver circle, American and international elite firms. 3 AC invites, 2 VS's and got my TC from one of them :)

Hard as it is, though, try to keep your head in the game and your motivation high - remember you only need one 'yes' for it all to work out!

There's a reasonable chance that you've maybe got the same issue or issues in each application; these commonly include things like spelling/ grammar errors or not making the application firm-specific enough. My best piece of advice would be to take a little while away from apps etc, focus your attentions on other things, and then, one day when you feel up to it, read through all the apps you've sent off which got knocked back with a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh mindset. You may well find that you notice things which you didn't see before, for example, so you know where to improve on for next time :)

Reactions: Dheepa and Law200

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    HI ALL

I've had a break from TCLA for the last few days because I absolutely could not relax at all but now I am back with a bang to hype you all up!

First and foremost, is anyone applying to Lewis Silkin for a TC? Just starting their application form and it is... different! In a good way!

EDIT: or has anybody applied there in the past who could advise? Thanks in advance xoxo

Last edited:

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Applied to 23 firms this cycle, 13 rejections, 2 offers, waiting on the rest. Take heart!

29 firms here with 9 rejections, 0 offers yet but one firm pending after interview, and I guess 20 firms to hear back from which is slowly driving me nuts.

HI ALL

I've had a break from TCLA for the last few days because I absolutely could not relax at all but now I am back with a bang to hype you all up!

First and foremost, is anyone applying to Lewis Silkin for a TC? Just starting their application form and it is... different! In a good way!

EDIT: or has anybody applied there in the past who could advise? Thanks in advance xoxo

LS is on my hit list as I did some work experience in defamation law in a past life and live for the drama so I've been thinking about them for a while. Haven't applied yet though as two of their app form questions are extra as hell and they require quite a lot of online tests and video interviews.

unbiasedpotato

Standard Member
    Jan 31, 2021
    Hi everyone, I've been struggling to even come up with an idea for one of the questions on Browne Jacobson's VS questions, the question is:

"Our National Powerhouse strategy is made up using three separate pillars…3) Making Connections. The third pillar, Making Connections, will see our firm encourage all employees to build an active network of contacts. Internally that means working more closely and making wider referrals to colleagues, but externally it means helping make connections between clients (for example we introduced one client, a PPE equipment provider, with a healthcare client desperately in need of PPE supplies) or making connections within the communities we operate in. Please can you give an example where you used your own network or contacts to make an introduction to a 3rd party that lead to positive action"

How would you go about answering this question? I feel like there's nothing all too obvious that jumps out at me from the work experience that I have, but maybe I'm just thinking about it in a rigid manner.

DT89

M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 12, 2018
    I know it has probably been asked loads, but has anyone still not heard back from Linklaters? I'm assuming I'm unsuccessful but my application still says 'on hold'
    I got my rejection after being on hold forever! If it has been on hold for VS, it means you have met WG and SJT benchmarks. But since it is so competitive, there might be others who have scored higher than you. Good luck.

Reactions: Carys Holland

Bethany

Star Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    First proper interview invite this cycle! For Stephenson Harwood VS (applied just before the deadline and completed WG week later). Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)
    First proper interview invite this cycle! For Stephenson Harwood VS (applied just before the deadline and completed WG week later). Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)
    Hey! Did they send you the WG via email automatically? I applied just before the deadline and still haven’t heard back

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi everyone, I've been struggling to even come up with an idea for one of the questions on Browne Jacobson's VS questions, the question is:

"Our National Powerhouse strategy is made up using three separate pillars…3) Making Connections. The third pillar, Making Connections, will see our firm encourage all employees to build an active network of contacts. Internally that means working more closely and making wider referrals to colleagues, but externally it means helping make connections between clients (for example we introduced one client, a PPE equipment provider, with a healthcare client desperately in need of PPE supplies) or making connections within the communities we operate in. Please can you give an example where you used your own network or contacts to make an introduction to a 3rd party that lead to positive action"

How would you go about answering this question? I feel like there's nothing all too obvious that jumps out at me from the work experience that I have, but maybe I'm just thinking about it in a rigid manner.

I've done my app for BJ and agree that this was a fairly tough question. The way I answered it was just trying to make it a bit simpler.

Rather than thinking about things in terms of networks or contacts, can you think of a time where you had to ask a relative or friend who had skills in a particular area to help you with a project you were working on?

It could be anything and doesn't necessarily have to be your work experience. I certainly didn't talk about mine. Maybe you were running a fundraising event for your uni sports club and you asked your flatmate's friend who can use photoshop to design a flyer which helped you bring in x amount of guests? Or maybe you got your cousin who is a professional baker to contribute some cakes at the local church fete which increased sales by y?

I don't know that those examples are very good ones, but as long as you introduce a third party, a positive action and quantify the results you could talk about anything and make it sound good.

unbiasedpotato

Standard Member
    Jan 31, 2021
    I've done my app for BJ and agree that this was a fairly tough question. The way I answered it was just trying to make it a bit simpler.

Rather than thinking about things in terms of networks or contacts, can you think of a time where you had to ask a relative or friend who had skills in a particular area to help you with a project you were working on?

It could be anything and doesn't necessarily have to be your work experience. I certainly didn't talk about mine. Maybe you were running a fundraising event for your uni sports club and you asked your flatmate's friend who can use photoshop to design a flyer which helped you bring in x amount of guests? Or maybe you got your cousin who is a professional baker to contribute some cakes at the local church fete which increased sales by y?

I don't know that those examples are very good ones, but as long as you introduce a third party, a positive action and quantify the results you could talk about anything and make it sound good.
    That's a good way to go about it, I think I've thought of a pretty good answer that'll arise from my extracurricular activities at uni.
    Thank you for your insight, really appreciate it!

Reactions: Matt_96

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Looking for some advice - I have been offered a vac scheme offer by one firm, but my AC at my preferred firm will not take place until after the accept/reject deadline. Both schemes run over the same dates, and so I can't complete both. is it possible to accept a vac scheme offer, only later to renege it? I don't want to run the risk of being left with no scheme at all 😬

@Jessica Booker can advise on this - I would imagine she'll say yes of course you can but it won't leave the best impression on the GR team at the firm with whom you renege :D

29 firms here with 9 rejections, 0 offers yet but one firm pending after interview, and I guess 20 firms to hear back from which is slowly driving me nuts.

LS is on my hit list as I did some work experience in defamation law in a past life and live for the drama so I've been thinking about them for a while. Haven't applied yet though as two of their app form questions are extra as hell and they require quite a lot of online tests and video interviews.
    Keep going!!!!! 20 in the pipeline is plenty, you only need one!!!!! To do 29 applications is INSANE as well?!?! I think I applied to 9 firms? Maybe 10?

Oooh interesting! Oh yeah lol the one that's like 'why are you are LS right for each other' - I feel like I'm on first dates but a legal edition! First TC's 😍🥰 They do have a lot of stages though that is true...

• Haha
    Reactions: collie_121

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi guys, can I just say that regardless of the outcome of our apps we should all be really proud of ourselves, because we're out here HUSTLIN in the middle of a pandemic when life is ten times harder than it usually is. So if anyone needed to hear it, major kudos and a well done to you, hang in there x
    yes LOVE THIS ENERGY! so TRUE! I wish this post could be pinned at the top of the forum all day so everyone had to read it when they signed in

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Looking for some advice - I have been offered a vac scheme offer by one firm, but my AC at my preferred firm will not take place until after the accept/reject deadline. Both schemes run over the same dates, and so I can't complete both. is it possible to accept a vac scheme offer, only later to renege it? I don't want to run the risk of being left with no scheme at all 😬

Yes - you can renege. Just don't expect to be popular or to get any favours from the firm you renege on.

Reactions: cmaj

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi guys, can I just say that regardless of the outcome of our apps we should all be really proud of ourselves, because we're out here HUSTLIN in the middle of a pandemic when life is ten times harder than it usually is. So if anyone needed to hear it, major kudos and a well done to you, hang in there x
    Can I just please reach 1 assessment centre and cry on camera for being the worst candidate there in that assessment centre then I will be happy. ps im joking.

Reactions: Adrian_S

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Tbh, I actually needed to hear this. Though I'm not physically busier, the mental strain of my mind having to be at 10000 places at once during lockdown, especially this one, had started to become quite tough. So it's definitely a good reminder to put things into context and be proud of the smallest wins everyday, so thank you so much! : )

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Looking forward to the post-AC feeling when I can watch the Framing Britney documentary!!!
    Kim Kardashian Girl GIF by Kraken Images

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Jacob

Would you be able to direct me towards the article mentioned here?
    Of course!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.