Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how many people Slaughters invite to interview vs how many places they have?
Chambers Student Guide says 100 vacation scheme places a year, although that will be split across different programmes.

Likely to be about 2.5-3.5 x interviews per vacancy.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    So funny story but I spelt my literal name wrongly on the application that got me a VS in my first cycle. Since it was an in person VS, the name tags that GR had made for us and the agenda that had all the candidates names on it all had my wrongly spelt name on it, because I myself didn't realise the error until the first day of the VS. Mortifying when I let GR know but they just laughed. Trust me when I say that a missed out number on an application form isn't going to make any difference to the outcome of your application, not just because GR won't notice it, but because people make worst mistakes (like me) and get by all the time!

Also @Asil Ahmad, I've had successful apps that have had one small grammar error or two myself. I think Jess also says very often that most of the trainees she's recruited have had mistakes on their apps as well. As Jacob as said, there is no guarantee but if your overall app is really strong, I don't think it'd be a straight rejection. Don't lose hope just yet!

Thank you for this Dheepa and I understand as the thing is I always thought 1 grammar error leads to a rejection but thank you for this I feel less worried about it now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this Dheepa and I understand as the thing is I always thought 1 grammar error leads to a rejection but thank you for this I feel less worried about it now.
    There is a bit of a difference between errors that are obvious and those that are not. Someone’s spelling of their name or a transposed telephone number, a recruiter wouldn’t necessarily spot. In the same way they won’t spot if you get your dates wrong or module grades wrong.

By the time you secure an interview, it’s unlikely a firm will chuck you out their process due to a typo that has no consequences (eg like a mistake in someone’s name or telephone number). They might be different if the error fundamentally changes your profile though.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys, as I am new to TCLA and don't know much about this platform and its history much other than Jaysen reason for starting this amazing platform, thank you for this.

I got a message on Linkedin this morning from someone called Jonathan Simnett who said that he is an executive at TCLA I dunno if that is true or not maybe @Jaysen would know about this. He invited me to a webinar about M&A and technology. Has anyone else heard of him also I am sorry if I sound dumb and stupid here.

cfm

Standard Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    What do you mean? I sent my app a few days ago to Debevoise after seeing the deadline had moved to 14th of Feb...I think I would die if I heard it won’t even be considered and this post really gave me anxiety
    This from grad rec in an email to me:Many thanks for your email. The application deadline remains 3 January 2021 and all applications submitted before then are still being reviewed and considered. We are having technical issues with our portal which is why it’s still showing as ‘open’ but unfortunately applications that are submitted after the deadline will not be accepted

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Guys, as I am new to TCLA and don't know much about this platform and its history much other than Jaysen reason for starting this amazing platform, thank you for this.

I got a message on Linkedin this morning from someone called Jonathan Simnett who said that he is an executive at TCLA I dunno if that is true or not maybe @Jaysen would know about this. He invited me to a webinar about M&A and technology. Has anyone else heard of him also I am sorry if I sound dumb and stupid here.

Could you message me a screenshot? There is no one at TCLA by that name.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Are TC offers usually exploding? If I were to get a spring vac scheme and then get a TC offer from it, would I ordinarily be able to wait to complete a summer vac scheme in a preferred firm before responding?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are TC offers usually exploding? If I were to get a spring vac scheme and then get a TC offer from it, would I ordinarily be able to wait to complete a summer vac scheme in a preferred firm before responding?

Depends if the firm abides by the voluntary code of best recruitment practice or not. If they do, you get 4 weeks if you are a final year student or graduate, you get to mid September if you are in your penultimate year of undergraduate degree studies.

Not all firms abide by the code though, and neither do many candidates.

You could accept and then renege at a later point assuming you haven’t taken on any financial commitments from the firm.

Reactions: JayC and Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.