2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Can I just say a special thanks to @Dheepa for giving very comprehensive interview advice when I did not know where to start and @Jacob Miller for his excellent article on interviews, I feel like I was able to use the advice in my interview prep (particularly focusing on breaking down the A within STAR to show my thought process and go into detail and the useful advice of using bullet points to prep my answer rather than having a script!!!) I feel much more prepared for my interview now!
jimmy fallon television GIF

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Can I just say a special thanks to @Dheepa for giving very comprehensive interview advice when I did not know where to start and @Jacob Miller for his excellent article on interviews, I feel like I was able to use the advice in my interview prep (particularly focusing on breaking down the A within STAR to show my thought process and go into detail and the useful advice of using bullet points to prep my answer rather than having a script!!!) I feel much more prepared for my interview now!
    jimmy fallon television GIF
    Thank you so much for the kind words! Beyond delighted the article helped and got everything crossed for you for the AC

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Could someone explain how the use of leverage increases the profit for a PE firm?
    So by using leverage a PE firm can spread the equity they have into multiple investments. For example, instead of investing in one company for 100m and realising 300m in profit, the firm can use 25m of equity plus 75m of debt and spread their 100m and invest in 4 companies. This means that their profit will be higher (hypothetically let's say 4x higher at 1200m). The only thing they have detracting from their profit is interest on any debt, which will be lower than the extra profit they can make.

Also, if interest rates are low, debt can be cheaper and by investing less equity, if the company becomes insolvent, the PE firm is losing less of its own capital than if it had invested all of its equity in that company.

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: em311, Dheepa and Kola

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    Could someone explain how the use of leverage increases the profit for a PE firm?
    you have 10 million of your own money .. then you borrow 60 million to buy a 70 million pound loaf of gold bread.. all of a sudden you find a way to combine said gold bread with silver which turns your bread into gold & silver bread which ends up being worth 140 million pounds in 5 years.. you sell it .. pay back your 70 million.. you keep your 10 million plus a nice 10 million..that’s a crude way of the profit ( the tiny difference w pe is you usually pay the borrowed money over the course of the lifetime of the investment as opposed to one lump sum.. this way the business pays and you offload it at its new shiny price)

TC4me

Aug 3, 2020
    It isn’t really the article as such, it’s the story behind it they care about.

Therefore, citing specific details like it’s date isn’t really relevant. What they want from you is your analysis and opinion of the story in the article, and potentially an opinion on how the article is written. For instance, you just basically summarising/reciting the article is a basic level. What they really want from you is to form your own opinion and analysis on the matter.

So think about the causes and effects. Think about how this may influence things in the future, more than factual references alone.
    As Jess has already mentioned, focus here on analysis rather than descriptive stuff - small things of no consequence like date and author are immaterial. I discuss different response structures to a question like this in some amount of detail in my recent article: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....w-firm-interviews-monday-article-series.3286/
    Thank you so much, I’ll take a look at the articles and keep your comments in mind

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    So by using leverage a PE firm can spread the equity they have into multiple investments. For example, instead of investing in one company for 100m and realising 300m in profit, the firm can use 25m of equity plus 75m of debt and spread their 100m and invest in 4 companies. This means that their profit will be higher (hypothetically let's say 4x higher at 1200m). The only thing they have detracting from their profit is interest on any debt, which will be lower than the extra profit they can make.

Also, if interest rates are low, debt can be cheaper and by investing less equity, if the company becomes insolvent, the PE firm is losing less of its own capital than if it had invested all of its equity in that company.
    Thank you, you've managed to clear this up better than any article I've found online, so much appreciated.

Reactions: AspiringSol

sparky10

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Thanks, that's good to hear. At the time I felt I did well and had a good rapport with them, now I've had time to think about some of my answers I'm less confident haha. Just make sure you know everything about yourself and your CV. They'll be a few curveballs and some questions where you think "wow that's out of left field" but just remain calm, as I guess they're trying to see how you cope under pressure.

It was totally fine online. Make sure they send you the Teams like by the day of the interview because I didnt get mine until 10 mins before which made for a very panicked call to GR!

Is yours for TC?
    Thats really positive! I'm sure you will be fine.

Thank you - that is really helpful. Yeah, I anticipate curveballs will be thrown haha. Did they ask you typical questions like why S & M and why law?

Omg I can imagine - I believe I have a teams link already provided (hopefully it is the right one!).

Yeah I attended the winter workshop in december and decided to apply for direct, were you the same?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    As a general rule is it bad to discuss a competency example of a job that is not mentioned on an application form?
    No not at all, I've used plenty of examples for experiences not listed on my application or even my CV - I keep my CV strictly to 2 pages so have to be selective with what I feature on it; some apps limit you to 6/8 work exp inputs so I just choose the most relevant stuff to put on the app :)

Reactions: ZaraB

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Thats really positive! I'm sure you will be fine.

Thank you - that is really helpful. Yeah, I anticipate curveballs will be thrown haha. Did they ask you typical questions like why S & M and why law?

Omg I can imagine - I believe I have a teams link already provided (hopefully it is the right one!).

Yeah I attended the winter workshop in december and decided to apply for direct, were you the same?
    They did, but they were worded a bit differently. Because I'm a non law student, the exact wording was "so youre doing History - what on earth are you doing applying for a commercial law firm then?" and "what do you know about Slaughter and May." He pushed me on both of my responses to these questions to try and probe further.

I applied for the summer work experience scheme, think I should find out soon good or bad.

sparky10

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    They did, but they were worded a bit differently. Because I'm a non law student, the exact wording was "so youre doing History - what on earth are you doing applying for a commercial law firm then?" and "what do you know about Slaughter and May." He pushed me on both of my responses to these questions to try and probe further.

I applied for the summer work experience scheme, think I should find out soon good or bad.
    I see - I am sure you answered both well.

Well I genuinely hope you get it. Did they tell you how long it would take to find out, and if successful is it a phone call?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I was looking at one of my applications that I sent off last month and saw a grammar error. I dunno if it is the system or I did it by accident. I accidentally might have well I didn't leave a space between 2 words and stated Iwill. What do you lot think should I be worried about that grammar error. I mean will this be a straight rejection.

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    I see - I am sure you answered both well.

Well I genuinely hope you get it. Did they tell you how long it would take to find out, and if successful is it a phone call?

They told me id find out by mid Feb probably and end of Feb at absolute latest. I don’t know if I'll hear by phone but I'm almost certain that TC direct do.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I was looking at one of my applications that I sent off last month and saw a grammar error. I dunno if it is the system or I did it by accident. I accidentally might have well I didn't leave a space between 2 words and stated Iwill. What do you lot think should I be worried about that grammar error. I mean will this be a straight rejection.
    Obviously can't give a cast-iron guarantee but it's highly unlikely to be the sole factor for an immediate PFO. People make far bigger mistakes than a wee grammar error and still receive offers!

This is one of the reasons why I had a rule never to re-read applications after I'd submitted them though haha, far too anxious a person for that!

• Haha
    Reactions: Andrew M and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Obviously can't give a cast-iron guarantee but it's highly unlikely to be the sole factor for an immediate PFO. People make far bigger mistakes than a wee grammar error and still receive offers!

This is one of the reasons why I had a rule never to re-read applications after I'd submitted them though haha, far too anxious a person for that!

Thank you Jacob for this and that is good I have heard some firms have this 3 grammar error rule but I dunno if that is for every firm which is why I asked.

Also lol that just made my day your no re-read application rule lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.